Join Today
    New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts

Spot the deliberate mistake.....

I know you guys like a puzzle, so what is wrong in this pic?

1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    pipe to maf not connected?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    MAF is disconnected from the pipe.

**edit**

Quote Originally Posted by gazbak1 View Post
    pipe to maf not connected?
    Duh, didn't even notice that reply!

Get in touch with The Mac Doctor now.
    (Covering Norwich and Norfolk)

New Identity
    Thanks
    You got it matey.

Took the pipes off yesterday and pressure tested the turbo pipes. After putting it all back together I went shopping and noticed that the car was hesitating a little when on boost, but didn't get back until after dark, so didn't bother looking at it. I thought it could be the MAF, but posted on here last night of things to look for. Anyway, picked up a spare MAF from my parents house tonight, and lifted the bonnet to find that I hadn't connected the intake pipe to the MAF.

What a complete tit I feel. I was fretting because my MPG dropped to 15-16 today coming home from work. Anyway its sorted now, so relieved it wasn't anything major.

But in another twist, the max boost its getting to now is low again. I can only assume that my intake is not sufficient for the demand of air the turbo/engine needs ( running standard air filter and air box). So now I've got to save for a better intake
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    A different intake makes the world of difference, or it has in my case. However I only had a standard filter in mine which was frankly pathetic - just try breathing through one!

What boost pressure are you running with your MBC?

Get in touch with The Mac Doctor now.
    (Covering Norwich and Norfolk)

New Identity
    Thanks
    The maximum its getting to is around 7-8psi (no matter how much fiddling I do with the mbc). It was more before I refurbed the turbo, reaching 11-12psi.

What are the best options for intakes?

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    did u adjust the acuator at all?

New Identity
    Thanks
    I didn't touch the actuator whilst rebuilding the turbo, I just removed it, and bolted it back on.

But the other day I did tighten it 1.5 turns to see, it made a tiny difference but nothing like it was before.

I'm hoping its the new parts in the turbo just need to be 'run-in' as such. its been making a ghostly noise on spool up, but it is dying off now, even more once the oil gets warm.

Although with the intake undone its been going mad, and that was with the MBC wound out.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Your turbo parts shouldn't need running in if oiled and fitted correctly. Did you use genuine Mitsubishi parts? Did you measure the turbine shaft for wear before fitting the new bearings?

New Identity
    Thanks
    I guessed as much. LOL, wouldn't know where to get genuine mitsubishi parts, let alone afford them probably. I didn't measure the turbine shaft for wear, but there is no movement/play in the turbo at all now, whereas there was a huge amount before and it was leaking oil like sieve.

As of this morning its now boosting a lot better, reaching more or less what it was before (mbc is wound out at the moment as a precaution). Those injector seals were leaking really badly by the looks of it, and the one way valve added to the pressure loss.

Thread Information