Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Towing and remaps

I tow a caravan a lot with my car and I've been told that a remap would cause problems for the turbo whilst driving at about 70 mph with a caravan on the back, as the revs would be higher that they would normally (without a caravan), which would affect the operation of the turbo. I'm not sure what people mean by this, but has anyone else had problems towing with remaps?

Cheers...

V70 T5 2000 P2
    IMIV Ipod Interface
    Standard Enginewise (at present!)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletchv70RAWD View Post
    Mine has been re-mapped and I have had no problems with towing for 4 years. Your main problem may be with the law if you tow at 70mph !!!
    Ha ha... that might be why I have 9 points then!!

V70 T5 2000 P2
    IMIV Ipod Interface

This user has no status

Thanks
    I used to, albeit for a short while, tow a small caravan with my 854, which has got the 280 map and didn't find any problems, in fact one of the reasons I got the map in the first place was to get a bit more low down pull.

I suppose it depends on where the grunt comes in on the map of choice and your right foot, but as I say I didn't have any problems.

What I did do as a precaution because mine is an auto was to ask his Wobblyness to fit one of his auto fluid additional coolers to it.

This also gave me the time to take Dave's carriage at the time,"Rayanna" ( have I spelt it right Dave?) for a little tootle around the block and very nice it was too.

Regards,

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletchv70RAWD View Post
    Mine has been re-mapped and I have had no problems with towing for 4 years. Your main problem may be with the law if you tow at 70mph !!!
    Exactly bud,careful what you type on here. You'd be surprised who is watching..

Davew
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by Welshlou View Post
    I tow a caravan a lot with my car and I've been told that a remap would cause problems for the turbo whilst driving at about 70 mph with a caravan on the back, as the revs would be higher that they would normally (without a caravan), which would affect the operation of the turbo. I'm not sure what people mean by this, but has anyone else had problems towing with remaps?

Cheers...
    I dont quiet understand the logic of the revs being higher after a remap, unless obviously your driving in a lower gear which you wouldnt have to do after a remap as you would have more torque.

So the only way I can see the revs being higher is if you change your gear ratio's

But then again I could be talking balls lol...

did the person who told you this explain why the revs would be higher?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Davew View Post
    I dont quiet understand the logic of the revs being higher after a remap, unless obviously your driving in a lower gear which you wouldnt have to do after a remap as you would have more torque.

So the only way I can see the revs being higher is if you change your gear ratio's

But then again I could be talking balls lol...

did the person who told you this explain why the revs would be higher?
    I think they meant the revs would be higher at 60(!) because the caravan is on the back, meaning you need more power to achieve the same speed.

V70 T5 2000 P2
    IMIV Ipod Interface

This user has no status
    Thanks
    No problems towing with my V70 which has the RICA 310 on it. I also towed before I had the remap too, and all I can say is that it tows much better mapped than not.

One thing that should help massively when towing is the water injection system I've just fitted, which should help keep intake temperatures to a minimum as when towing you tend to be using boost more often than when not towing, so power drop off is more noticable when towing, especially in the summer months when ambient temperatures are higher.

In short, a remap can only help rather than hinder when towing...
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

Davew
    This user has no status
    I think they meant the revs would be higher at 60(!) because the caravan is on the back, meaning you need more power to achieve the same speed.
    OK I still dont understand the logic, (maybe i am being stupid)

Take for example a push bike.

If you have a skinny guy pedaling at one turn a second in forth gear, then he gets off and a body builder gets on and pedals in the same gear at one turn a sec, they will both be doing exactly the same speed and exactly the same revolutions. It would just be easier for the guy with more power.

That is why I cannot understand why if you give your car more power it would rev higher?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I think maybe he means the engine load is higher, which of course it will be, but that isn't a problem if you're in the correct gear and use the power band available etc.

As I said, no issues at all, much better towing with the remap, but no real issues without it either.
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

This user has no status
    Thanks
    OK I still dont understand the logic, (maybe i am being stupid)

Take for example a push bike.

If you have a skinny guy pedaling at one turn a second in forth gear, then he gets off and a body builder gets on and pedals in the same gear at one turn a sec, they will both be doing exactly the same speed and exactly the same revolutions. It would just be easier for the guy with more power.

That is why I cannot understand why if you give your car more power it would rev higher?
    Isn't it a question of revs per minute, rather than just revolutions. ie the engine would need to rev more times per minute to achieve 60 mph, with more load.

V70 T5 2000 P2
    IMIV Ipod Interface

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info guys, I guess the remap will be better for towing so i'll have no issues when i get it done.

V70 T5 2000 P2
    IMIV Ipod Interface

Davew
    This user has no status
    Isn't it a question of revs per minute, rather than just revolutions. ie the engine would need to rev more times per minute to achieve 60 mph, with more load.
    No it wouldnt.

I just think you are concerning yourself over something you dont understand and are worrying about nothing.

rev per minute is the same as revolutions. if your engine revs more you go faster. just watch your rev counter. if you put a 747 on the back you will still be doing exactly the same revs at the same speed as when you didnt have it on. (if you where in the same gear)

The only thing that will effect the revolutions per minute at a certain speed is the gear you are in.

If you do 2000 rpm in top gear on the motorway at 60 mph, you will still do 2000rpm on the motorway in top gear if you have the caravan on the back.

you will require more power to pull the caravan, (more fuel) due to the increased weight. (imagine riding a bike up hill you have to push harder to maintain the same speed).

This user has no status
    Thanks
    No it wouldnt.

I just think you are concerning yourself over something you dont understand and are worrying about nothing.

rev per minute is the same as revolutions. if your engine revs more you go faster. just watch your rev counter. if you put a 747 on the back you will still be doing exactly the same revs at the same speed as when you didnt have it on. (if you where in the same gear)

The only thing that will effect the revolutions per minute at a certain speed is the gear you are in.

If you do 2000 rpm in top gear on the motorway at 60 mph, you will still do 2000rpm on the motorway in top gear if you have the caravan on the back.

you will require more power to pull the caravan, (more fuel) due to the increased weight. (imagine riding a bike up hill you have to push harder to maintain the same speed).
    Gotcha... Your right about me not understanding it, but i do now cheers!! Like you say, nothing to worry about then!

V70 T5 2000 P2
    IMIV Ipod Interface

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks

Talking

Just get it mapped...........you will never regret it..

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The idea of trying to use the turbo when towing is mental anyway!

You'll bend the tow hitch or the tow ball frame using all the torque!

Remember, gentle revs, slow up to speed. (you're driving a volvo... and you're towing a caravan!) Take the proper precautions. Slippers on, flatcap straight & pipe unlit (for H&S reasons!).

** Serious now*

The main issue is strain on the gear box & clutch. The engine (providing it's in good nick & has oil in it!) will not bat an eyelid at a caravan.

Your clutch should be in good order & you really should do a gearbox oil change!

Other than that... observe the speed limits, try & get a set of volvo's own tow mirrors (awesome stuff them!) and try not to drive within.... oh about 30 miles of me!

The turbo may suffer if you try to boost the car for long periods under high revs vs high strain. But only from overheating!

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    What's all this talk about clutches? I thought most of the members on here are part of the slushbox brigade!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm just assuming that someone might have bought at least ONE manual tranny in a P2!

But the box oil is probably worth a check... level & condition.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
    I'm just assuming that someone might have bought at least ONE manual tranny in a P2!
    mines got a proper gearbox

This user has no status
    Thanks
    In some ways I wish I did have a manual...

But I'm a lazy sod, so I'm glad I have an auto!

This user has no status
    Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dave stew View Post
    What's all this talk about clutches? I thought most of the members on here are part of the slushbox brigade!
    Secret pedal envy?

Thread Information