Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Oil in the water

right then i have a 1996 N reg 2.3 T5 (b5234FT)with Oil in the water, i have been driving it for a while now like this as i does not over heat, smoke and there is no smell of antifreeze from the back, there is oil in the water but no water in the engine oil,
    i have had someone say that it sounds like the oil cooler as they can crack inside and cause the oil to get into the water system,
    went down to the local Volvo dealer yesterday and asked the parts guy about the oil cooler ? he could only find under (oil cooling) the thermostat housing part number 3555285199 but has know idea of where it is on the engine?
    so i asked one of the technicians what he thought it might be ?
    and he also came up with same conclusion seeing as the car does not over heat that it may be the oil cooler/thermostat housing but even he could not see where it fits to the engine ?
    so has anyone else heard of this problem ( cracked oil cooler ) causing the oil/water issue with no over heating etc?
    if so am i looking at the right part to cure this ?
    and if it is where do i locate the oil cooler/thermostat housing ?
    any knolwedge on this problem will be much appreciated,
    cheers Alan.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Before you investigate further, have you drained the coolant and refilled with fresh? If not do that and see if the problem recurs.

Get in touch with The Mac Doctor now.
    (Covering Norwich and Norfolk)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Filterlab For This Useful Post:

rusty998 (Friday 24th July 2009)

This user has no status

Thanks
    i have already done this but the oil came back as soon as i started driving again, the fan cuts in when it gets up to temp and cuts out with no problems, it drives fine with nothing to show that there is a problem, it's only that im always under the bonnet of my cars checking this and that and thats when i found the oil in the water, the girlfriend says i have some sort of car related O,C,D because i always have the bonnet up, dont know what she means ?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi.
    It will be an oil cooler related problem. There has been alot of posts on this site about this problem. Were are you in the u.k. mate...
    Cheers Mark..........
    EBC DRILLED GROOVED DISCS. EBC GREEN STUFF PADS. AIR CON REMOVED. TWIN EXIT EXHAUST. BLACK MESH GRILLE.GREEN PAPER AIR FILTER. FRONT SPLITTER. POLY TOP BUSH.V70 REAR LAMPS
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist
    http://www.r2rc.co.uk/landing/index.htm

6. The Following User Says Thank You to flyingbrick For This Useful Post:

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    The oil cooler is built into the radiator so you have to replace that as a full unit. You don't say if the car is auto or manual..
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    ah, so im on the right track then thats good news, do you know where abouts on the engine the oil cooler/thermostat housing is ?
    will i need any other parts to do the job ?
    and im next to Heathrow Airport,
    the car is an auto, just been on to another Volvo Dealers to ask about the oil cooler and they have come up with the same part as the guy showed me yesterday, the part that both the dealers came up with is number 1 in the picture part number 3528199,

the parts man said that it is the only oil cooler on my model car, the auto box cooler is in the radiator but not the engine oil cooler, this is what the dealers have come up with, the oil i have in the water is engine oil and not auto box oil, are the dealers giving me the right part ?
    cheers Alan.
    Last edited by rusty998; Friday 24th July 2009 at 15:01.

returning after getting lost
    Thanks
    sounds to me like the same problem i had a while ago where the oilcooler split into the rad

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Isn't part number one just the take off and return for the oil from the engine block? The oil still passes through the radiator core via the two oil lines #3.

I thought all T5 based models had engine oil cooling within the main radiator and the automatic radiator had the extra cooler built in on the opposite side for cooling the fluid.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yup, I had exactly the same issue with my N reg 854 T5.

I replaced the radiator (about £120 through Rufe via the forums iirc) and it's been fine ever since.

The Oil cooler is on the left hand side of the radiator (as you look from the front) you'll see the large water hoses and two smaller oil hoses held on with metal clips at the top and bottom.

Mine was so far gone that you could manually move the black plastic cover these hoses go into and coolant would p*ss out where it had cracked.

Take the plunge and get it done, flush the engine out a few times and then replace your header tank (mine was grotty with oil stuck to the sides and no amount of flushing would shift it).

Hope this helps - holler if you need any more info mate.

Cheers
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

Powerflow Exhaust | Drilled & Grooved disks (rear) | ABS ECU repaired | Alloys refurbed | Strut brace fitted | Poly Top engine bush | Replaced front quarter panel | Replaced Front Passenger Door |PCV system replaced | ITG Panel filter | New radiator fitted | 302mm Drilled & Grooved disks (Front) | EBC Pads | Drop links |VPCUK Sticker

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Radiator....

Jod
    855 rica 304bhp, Adjusted Wastegate, Bleed Valve, ITG Panel Filter, 171k fsh, Volvo Strutt Brace, Polybush Topmount , 4mm Samco Vacuum Hoses, 10 Core "Racing" Ht Leads, 302mm Volvo Discs under 16" Columba Alloys, Performance DS2500 Fronts Red Stuff Rears, Drillled Airbox, 5w/40 Oil Changed @ 5k intervals,

764 B230ET 108k FVSH No mods yet...Planning underway.....

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 850/70 Register Keeper
    VOC 20419

Thread Information