Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Sachs Advantage Dampers

Well, being one of the 'Nottingham/Manchester P2 Four' who have been debating suspension changes in this forum, I've done mine now too!

To summarise for anyone waking from this coma inducing tale:

V70 Torslanda (John) - kept it stock and replaced his dampers with Sachs SuperTouring

Robbie H - went a bit bling and added Eibach Sportline springs to his Super Tourings

Cornclose (Chris) went the whole hog and fitted the Volvo approved sports suspension kit with new springs, uprated front dampers, Nivomat rears and a thicker rear anti roll bar.

Me - kept the standard T5 springs and added four new Sachs 'Advantage' dampers.

1. Reasoning

I have looked long and hard at this and pondered several options.
    One was the Volvo kit, but I reasoned that the springs that gave a 15mm drop were for a standard V70 and as a T5 has approx 10mm drop over standard, I wouldn't gain much. Plus, I don't tow or carry heavy loads (except the Mother in Law, ho ho) so didn't need Nivos.

I then considered a set of Bilstein B6s all round. Problem is, I know from previous experience that they are quite hard and I really didn't want anything too stiff first thing in the morning.

I have discounted lowered springs too, as I feel that you need the damper to operate over its full travel range and I don't want to scrape the undertray over the Nottingham City Council ('we hate all private cars') speed ramps.

So - I wanted something uprated, but not too much. I therefore have opted for Sachs Advantage dampers, a gas monotube design, but I reckon more compliant than Bilsten B6s. These were approx 25% more expensive than Super Tourings. I sourced these from John at Euro Car Parts, incidently.

2. Results
    The tank has been clonking its head off on the aforementioned Notts City Car Hating Tank Traps for a couple of months. It turns out that it was a totally ruined front N/S drop link - the ball joints were so worn out that they could be pulled out from their sockets!
    With the new dampers fitted, the car feels firmer, but certainly not uncomfortably so. It feels tighter, you can feel the road better and it puts the power down better without squirming (I have Powerflexed front wishbones BTW). So far, so good.

The only downside is that the ride height seems to have increased by about 10mm all round so I am hoping it will settle down again.

3.Improvement
    Cost vs performance vs ride comfort are all well balanced. I'd recommend this if you want to improve your V70 without making it some rock hard go kart.

So - the next tweaks are to replace the engine stabiliser bushes and possibly a strut brace.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dave stew For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Thursday 16th July 2009),lance (Friday 17th July 2009),RobbieH (Thursday 16th July 2009),thebadger (Friday 24th July 2009),v70torslanda (Thursday 16th July 2009),wegal (Thursday 16th July 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Nice write up Dave. I went through similar ponderings but in the end a bit of lowering won me over. Long term, we'll see.

Just a small point - I've used Eibach Pro-Kit springs not Sportlines. The latter have an even larger drop (manchester tank traps would have eaten my sump let alone Nottingham's LOL).

Don't let age define you. It's a number that's all.

04 V70 D5 EUIII SE (MTE remap, IPD arb's, Eibach Pros, TWR custom FMIC, UR front strut brace)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Did John tell you I squeezed one of your dampers Dave ?
    Last edited by cornclose; Thursday 16th July 2009 at 13:26.
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cornclose View Post
    you guys are old friends then

Don't let age define you. It's a number that's all.

04 V70 D5 EUIII SE (MTE remap, IPD arb's, Eibach Pros, TWR custom FMIC, UR front strut brace)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieH For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Thursday 16th July 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I was just weighing up all options....
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cornclose View Post
    As long as you weren't squeezing my knackers!

I am a sad middle aged git who thinks my jokes are funny. After several pints, they usually are.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dave stew For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Thursday 16th July 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I think that however we have varied the options and rung the changes we are all happy with the results we have achieved. We've all restored the car to how we want it to perform.

Chris has improved the load capacity, Robbie's got a street sleeper and Dave's got something that can handle its power and put it on the road.

Me, I'll be really happy if we can walk when we get to central France in four weeks time!

J

This user has no status
    Thanks
    A quick update. The ride height hasn't settled down - the arse now looks like a frightened ostrich or a gentleman of a certain persuasion inviting offers...

However - the front wheels now no longer rub on full lock (18"s) and the steering feel is improved.

I reckon that the car is now back to factory stock ride height and the resulting change in geometry has improved it from the slightly sunken pose that the old shocks gave it.

Oh, it looks like all the Notts Police T5s now, except for the high vis stripes, guns in the boot and drunkard's sick stains on the back seat.

Well, maybe one out of three.

has no status...
    Thanks
    thebadgers had his turn for photos, your turn now dave

(of the car)

Quote Originally Posted by dave stew View Post
    A quick update. The ride height hasn't settled down - the arse now looks like a frightened ostrich or a gentleman of a certain persuasion inviting offers...

2001 V70 T5 - Auto, Dark Anthracite Comets, Volvo Window blinds, ITG Panel filter, Strut bar solid bushes with powerflex top mount

Must update my sigpic ...the S60 lemon went a while ago.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yeah, I've shown you mine... now show me yours!

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yeah, OK. I'll need to find somewhere flat to park.

Thread Information