Join Today
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

850R New Purchase

I've procured a 1996 855R as a bit of a project that I've rescued from being broken for spares. Car has only had three owners from new and virtual full service history but has done few miles recently (only 3k a year for 3 years) and the owner I purchased from has not cleaned it in a long time so the interior is extremely messy and the red paintwork has faded terribly! Also someone in their wisdom has at some stage resprayed the R-Alloys in Red same as bodywork....they look hideous!

Looking at the history it's had cambelt changed in 2001 at 87, it now has 141k.....I'm looking at replacing as a precaution, should I replace the tensioner at the same time?

I'm going to give the car a full service including a full brake fluid flush and change, is there a particular/special procedure for this model? Also going to replace coolant but wondering if I should use genuine Volvo or generic, and I have notived the reservoir cap is grey...should I change to green. Also what oil? I was thinking 5/30 or 40 fully synthetic as I'd use on a Saab 9000 Turbo.

With the alloy being "R" ones the brakes are on show and the front discs show a bad lip and will need replacing. Having done some research these discs should be 280mm not 304mm, is it a worth while conversion to larger discs and the only thing I need is the hoses and caliper carriers? What models have got the larger discs so I can get the larger caliper carriers? I've been looking at drilled and grooved discs and theres some good value ones on eBay. I'm also considering (for the first time in my life may I add) of using some paint on the calipers and painting them red (will look good as exposed with the alloy size).

Handbrake is almost none existant, how hard to adjust, or am I likely to be looking at a new cable.

I'm planning to get the alloys refurbed but I'm toying with black or the original grey, what do you guys think?

Rear lights have gone "milky" as they sometimes do, how easy is a V70 light conversion and does it make the car look much better?

I'm planning on taking it across europe but the cigar lighter is broken, how easy a fix if the actual whole lighter part is missing?

How often should the PCV system been replaced?

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Hello and welcome
    OIL= 10/40 semi syn.
    BIGGER BRAKES= all you will need is the caliper brackets, 302mm discs and longer hoses the pads and calipers are the same.
    PCV= when the engine is running lift the dipstick up and see if there is any smoke also put your finger over it for 30 secs and then lift off to see if theres any smoke.
    TIMING BELT= ive never replaced the tensioner on myne but its down to the person also i would replace the serpantine belt aswell.
    ANTIFREEZE= I use blue coll anti freeze in myne and some people say the grey caps fail so if the green ones are cheep enough ide get one.
    HANDBRAKE= i would try and adjust it first.
    ALLOYS= ide refurb them to the original colour
    V70 REAR LIGHTS= there a deff they make the car look 100% better.
    LIGHTER= if its missing nip to a local scrappy or ebay and buy one.

Good luck with the new car i would also reccomend buying a haynes cheers pete

This user has no status

Thanks
    Pete, Thanks for your views, the Haynes is already sorted. What models can I find the bigger hoses and caliper carriers on?

As for the alloys anyone know what exact colour they were originally for when I get them refurbed?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sidmon View Post
    ...not cleaned it in a long time so the interior is extremely messy and the red paintwork has faded terribly!....
    Whereabouts are you located? If you're near-ish London I'd be happy to spend a day bringing your red paintwork up to a decent standard - wouldn't cost you a bean, maybe a couple of pints instead.

Get in touch with The Mac Doctor now.
    (Covering Norwich and Norfolk)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Filterlab For This Useful Post:

sidmon (Tuesday 14th July 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Also I'd be happy to have a go at the interior too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Filterlab For This Useful Post:

sidmon (Tuesday 14th July 2009)

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks

Talking

Welcome buddy. Handbrake adjustment is a simple procedure on these. They utilise the integrated disc/drum system so most accurate way (sure the cable can be adjusted also) is to remove the rear wheels and locate the 6th hole in the disc and position it at the top. A small torch might be useful here. Then,providing nothing is seized insert a plain srewdriver and rotate the knurled wheel until it grabs then back off till only just free. Job done. HTH.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for your offer but sadly I'm in the West Midlands, been looking at getting an orbital polisher (rare as I'm an elbow grease man with everything else!) but looking at the paintwork I think I'll need the artificial help it gives. I see the handbrake mechanism is the same as on the 900 series which I have adjusted before, although this one really has no real bite whatsoever so it will be intriguing to see "what lies beneath"!!!
    Last edited by sidmon; Tuesday 14th July 2009 at 15:23.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for your offer but sadly I'm in the West Midlands, been looking at getting an orbital polisher (rare as I'm an elbow grease man with everything else!) but looking at the paintwork I think I'll need the artificial help it gives.
    That's a shame, a little way away from me. Go carefully with the electric polishers, I've seen some bad incidents with those!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    Welcome buddy. Handbrake adjustment is a simple procedure on these. They utilise the integrated disc/drum system so most accurate way (sure the cable can be adjusted also) is to remove the rear wheels and locate the 6th hole in the disc and position it at the top. A small torch might be useful here. Then,providing nothing is seized insert a plain srewdriver and rotate the knurled wheel until it grabs then back off till only just free. Job done. HTH.
    I always wondered how to do that. Alan, you are a wealth of information!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    That's a shame, a little way away from me. Go carefully with the electric polishers, I've seen some bad incidents with those!
    Don't worry, I will ensure I've fully researched how to use it before letting it loose! I'm old fashioned and have assisted in cleaning all the cars my OH sells with good old fashioned elbow grease for years now, but this one is one of the worst I've seen for a long while hence I'm having to finally accept electric help!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Johnson's Solihull are close to me so been looking at there prices but they only quote a price on the timing belt tensioner pulley and not the tensioner itself.

Also will the bigger caliper carrier and longer hoses cost me a small fortune from a main dealer so i'd be better off getting them off a scrapper?

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I always wondered how to do that. Alan, you are a wealth of information![/QUOTE]

It's what this forum is all about buddy.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Don't worry, I will ensure I've fully researched how to use it before letting it loose! I'm old fashioned and have assisted in cleaning all the cars my OH sells with good old fashioned elbow grease for years now, but this one is one of the worst I've seen for a long while hence I'm having to finally accept electric help!
    Sounds like a wise move mate.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Having spoken to a valeter at a local Dealer I often purchase from he's advised to wash and then "clay" the bodywork before waxing (to remove any sh*t from the surface).

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have some caliper carriers off an R I was going to fit to my T5 (01) coupe but I switched to a 98R. If they're compatible, hows 65 delivered sound ?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico20V View Post
    I have some caliper carriers off an R I was going to fit to my T5 (01) coupe but I switched to a 98R. If they're compatible, hows 65 delivered sound ?
    Sounds expensive to me as new ones are only £48.71 delivered from Rufe on an exchange basis.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showpost...75&postcount=8

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hello and welcome,just get yourself a set of goodridge brake hoses and you can fit the bigger callipers and discs.
    get in,shut-up and hold on.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Go for braided stainless brake lines for the 302 setup and they will then be uprated and the longer ites when done. Caliper carriers are cheaper off Rufe than most other places and that will be for new items. Genuine discs are the way to go and uprated pads are the better option for more bite. Don't just succumb to the adds for EBC and Ferrodo pads where there are often better items elsewhere. Are you from the Midlands.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Good luck wit the car mate and have fun, would love to see some pics, then you could do a before and after thing. Wheels sound to be hideous, personally I'd go for black they'd look fantastic with red paint and calipers. Lights are a straight on fix and will look alot better.

As the T5 came to a lonesome end

Its just the V70 2.5 10 valve SE, pictured here with the 2 people that make life worth living, my babies.

Needs a wash Image taken in the beautiful Malin head, Irelands most northerly point.

This user has no status

Thanks
    mmm, oh well I might have to revise price then. I bought them online for a breakers for 75 :-(

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvoturboman View Post
    Good luck wit the car mate and have fun, would love to see some pics, then you could do a before and after thing. Wheels sound to be hideous, personally I'd go for black they'd look fantastic with red paint and calipers. Lights are a straight on fix and will look alot better.
    I've done some research and yes the V70 lights do look better with the clear indicators. As for before and after pics I will do, you'll be able to chuckle at the alloys....can't think for the life of me what someone was thinking. I'm just waiting for a response from Johnson's on a load of parts and then I'll have a better idea of where I stand.

Thread Information