Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Springs for Estate, Springs for Saloon - What's the difference?

Can anyone tell me?

Have a set of H&R lowering springs (35mm) from a 855R and just wanted to know for certain that they're gonna fit my 854T5.

Are the springs for an estate physically the same size, just a bit harder to take the added weight?

The guy I got them off was adamant they'll fit my saloon, but if that's the case, why do H&R sell two different sets?

Thanks in advance,
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

Powerflow Exhaust | Drilled & Grooved disks (rear) | ABS ECU repaired | Alloys refurbed | Strut brace fitted | Poly Top engine bush | Replaced front quarter panel | Replaced Front Passenger Door |PCV system replaced | ITG Panel filter | New radiator fitted | 302mm Drilled & Grooved disks (Front) | EBC Pads | Drop links |VPCUK Sticker

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hmm, they might fit the saloon (don't know for sure), but the springs intended for the estate versions would normally be designed to cope with the increased tare weight and the kerb weight. Both weights are higher on the 855 than the 854.

Get in touch with The Mac Doctor now.
    (Covering Norwich and Norfolk)

Some people hate to see you
    doing well. They are losers...
    Thanks
    I'd say the 855 rears might be either a bit longer, or a bit stiffer, to take the potential extra weight hanging behind the rear wheels...

This status has no user
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingFridgeMover View Post
    I'd say the 855 rears might be either a bit longer, or a bit stiffer, to take the potential extra weight hanging behind the rear wheels...
    I was going to say that. It'll be the same as when the Police take all the crap out the back of their cars, it sits a little high up.

Current Chariots...
    Micra K11 'project sh*tbox'
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i've known people use 854 springs in a 855 but never the other way round

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hmmm, you guy's have pretty much confirmed what I was thinking - The Estate springs will either be a little bit stiffer at the back (it that a bad thing?) or that the back will sit a bit higher, giving me a bit of a rake (again, can't see that being too bad either?). Can only be by a bit though surely?

Maybe I'll be the first to have 855 springs on an 854 then! Though, if no-one else has done it, there's probably a good reason for it.

I think I'll give H&R a call and ask them when I get chance...

Thanks to all of you for your comments - Will let ya know how I get on.

Cheers,
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

Powerflow Exhaust | Drilled & Grooved disks (rear) | ABS ECU repaired | Alloys refurbed | Strut brace fitted | Poly Top engine bush | Replaced front quarter panel | Replaced Front Passenger Door |PCV system replaced | ITG Panel filter | New radiator fitted | 302mm Drilled & Grooved disks (Front) | EBC Pads | Drop links |VPCUK Sticker

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel64 View Post
    hmmm, you guy's have pretty much confirmed what I was thinking - The Estate springs will either be a little bit stiffer at the back (it that a bad thing?) or that the back will sit a bit higher, giving me a bit of a rake (again, can't see that being too bad either?). Can only be by a bit though surely?
    the extra stiffness & height will help on the dragstrip but won't be exactly good for the corners

Thanks to all of you for your comments - Will let ya know how I get on.
    if you do go ahead & fit them i'd be interested in pics of how the car sits once done if you don't mind sir

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    if you do go ahead & fit them i'd be interested in pics of how the car sits once done if you don't mind sir
    Don't mind at all!

Going to fit the 302mm front discs I got at the same time first, Springs will be a little bit down the line, but given your comments about cornering (which was part of the point of swapping out for uprated springs) I think I need to do a little bit more research before committing!
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Don't mind at all!

Going to fit the 302mm front discs I got at the same time first...
    Make sure your wheels will fit around the 302 brakes. The Columbus alloys, amongst others, have a lip which is too small to fit round the larger calipers.

Thanks
    Don't mind at all!
    many thanks, if it does sit too high for you i'll be interested in buying the rear springs off you

Going to fit the 302mm front discs I got at the same time first, Springs will be a little bit down the line, but given your comments about cornering (which was part of the point of swapping out for uprated springs) I think I need to do a little bit more research before committing!
    its only a theory but as the estate is heavier & intended to carry more it makes sense it will be higher & harder. As already said you'll need the S/V70 T-5 alloys to fit over the 302's

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm running 16" Perfo's, which I DID have the presence of mind to check before buying that they'll fit the 302s I know these look alot like the Columbias but I'm 99.99999% certain they'll go on nee bother

Good to know that if the rear springs are nee good, I won't get stuck with them - my lass gives me enough earache as it is about my hoarding

Cheers again, and will keep you appraised of the saga as it unfolds!
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm running 16" Perfo's, which I DID have the presence of mind to check before buying that they'll fit the 302s
    They'll definitely fit as they were the alloys that were standard on the S/C/V70 T5, which also had 302 brakes as standard.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    i've known people use 854 springs in a 855 but never the other way round
    SCORE!

Just got home and checked the codes on the springs - They're for the Saloon model afterall and not the Estate version!
    Last edited by Diesel64; Monday 13th July 2009 at 18:28.
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Excellent news Bob!

Thread Information