Join Today

Thread: aux atf cooler

This user has no status

Thanks

aux atf cooler

Hi All,

Has anybody fiitted an additional atf cooler. Now the weather is picking up, (I hope), I will soon be towing a boat trailer and I am concerned that the additional weight will knacker my autobox.

I read WobblyDave's reply regarding atf fluid changing and wondered if it might be a good idea to do them both at the same time.

I have phoned my local independant garage, who surprisingly suggestted I was being overcautious and that the boxes are pretty much bulletproof.

I realise that they have a vested interest if the box does go bang, but I wanted what you guys and girls thought, having seen a fair few postings on here regarding gearbox failures.

Kenlowe want about £100 for a d.i.y. kit.

Any ideas, recommendations ?

My car is a Feb 96 858 t5 saloon.

Lastly, if the answer is yes, does any of the more mechanically minded of you fancy the job. I live in Stockport, but don't mind a run out and will obviously pay you.

Regards to all.

Pliskin

Andrew
    This user has no status
    After my gearbox went bang I decided to go for a wobbly dave special and he fitted his kit to my car. I've been happy with the results.

This thread:
    http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/show...ghlight=cooler
    shows some of the pics of mine when it was done (see page 2).

Andrew.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks very much for that PM sent to Wobbly Dave

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I have sent you a brief overview of the details.I have also just read the thread again - so apologies for the dump/wobbly questions in my PM.

The boxes are not bullet proof unless you care for them. ATF change is a good idea for the longevity of the box.

Volvo recommend fitting their additional cooler for towing. My system is effective and a lot cheaper.

I have no idea about the DIY kit. I developed and fitted the system to my car as I am running a lot more power through the ATF.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks Dave email sent

Regards

Thread Information