Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

850R with 18t turbo

Hi there when i brought my 850R manual it needed a new engine, we managed to get hold of a V70R one. Since then i have had a new intercooler and 18t turbo fitted by volvo through the other guys insurance after a i hit a spare wheel in the middle of the road. I have had the car remapped since then but had an air leak on one of the intercooler pipes so never ran full boost, i had this fixed today. Since getting this done the car picks up alot better and seems to have full power but when on full boost it runs lumpy like its misfireing and not getting enough fuel. Could this be to the injectors not being big enough and if so what injectors should i get. It is running orange ones at the moment but have got white ones as these were in my old engine but not fitted for some reason. thanks

This user has no status
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I think it will probably better with the white's in (maybe poss. that won'teven be enough(is the intercooler a bigger one?)
    get in,shut-up and hold on.

This user has no status

Thanks
    it could be the injector size but it could also be other things as well. whites would be more preferable(i'm on an 18T with whites) but it depends on how the cars been mapped.

the first thing i would personally do though is make sure a full stage 0 is done, leads, plugs, dist. cap etc etc etc

after that it might be advisable to take the car on a rolling road and see if it's running lean or safe. if there was a way to check timing being retarded that would be good to check as well.

the problem is you can't just chuck whites in and expect it to run fine. it might do. it might not.

if it was me i'd probably take the whites to a rolling road as well just to see how it runs with them on. bear in mind though, when injectors are changed it takes a while to "learn".

what i've written above is just off the top of my head and is what i know to be right, that's no guarantee that it is though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to irf For This Useful Post:

850Rmadhatter (Sunday 12th July 2009)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I had a misfire on my mapped 850, it ended up being the plugs, Id defo go with irf and say stage 0, if it don't cure it at least you've ruled all of those things out that would need replacing anyway

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i very much doubt this has got anything to do with the injector size at all. Both myself & FFM are running 19t's on standard orange injectors & standard maps with no trouble at all.

What boost pressure are you running? Altho FFM is running a higher fuel rail pressure he's running 15psi ok. I suspect its probably the ECU's MAF limit cutting in, as you've got a bigger turbo now this will cut in at a lower psi level than before

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Im not sure what boost pressure im running but it does go of the right of the end of the gauge which i personally think is a bit much but not sure. I will book the car in at sw autos next week to get the whites with a stage 0 and remap done and see how she goes then. thanks for your replies.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 850Rmadhatter View Post
    Im not sure what boost pressure im running but it does go of the right of the end of the gauge which i personally think is a bit much but not sure. I will book the car in at sw autos next week to get the whites with a stage 0 and remap done and see how she goes then. thanks for your replies.
    the end of the white on the factory gauge is normally about15psi, obviously this isn't guaranteed but works well as a estimate

9. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

850Rmadhatter (Sunday 12th July 2009)

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    What fuel are you running as I have had similar symtoms in the past using less than 98 RON!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If the car has been mapped already I would be worth getting the AFRs checked on either a rolling road or by installing a wideband monitoring kit. The latter can be had for near enough what a rolling road session will set you back and is then on the car for as long as you have it. Its worth getting you injectors cleaned aswell. A member on here Jimathan can offer the service on a very fast turnaround so sending the whites to him would be wise before fitting them. Getting a new map may not be worth while if you car has a modified one to start with. What map is it?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan M For This Useful Post:

850Rmadhatter (Wednesday 15th July 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi i only use shell v-power in it, the remap it has is a bsr one which is apparently the same as a rica but has been custom done by sw autos so not sure what powerit is producing as he has not had enough time to rolling road it at present but might be getting done this week. not sure if he has the AFR equipment but will ask. if not where can i get the wide band monitoring kit from and which one.

Some people hate to see you
    doing well. They are losers...
    Thanks
    for everyone's info, mine's boosting at 15psi, and sitting 1 needle's width before the end of the standard turbo gauge....

and until last week, was always on 95 ron petrol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi there just to say the work done by Sw autos has been top class and they are finally getting the last few problems sorted with the car that my previous garage had not spotted and not done properly. I recommend Sw autos to anyone who is down this way and having problems with there car.

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    So what was the final diagnosis and cure? Sounds like a similar symptom to what I have had recently. Not to say the root cause or cure will be the same but its interetsting to hear none the less.
    Hope its now flying again!
    W
    ps I had cleaned injectors from Jimathan new plugs and cap - just waiting to replace leads and rotor arm and we should be there - its 99% better than it was!

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks

Talking

Are you running with the factory BCS? This is a recognised symptom of a failing one. Just a thought.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi guys
    Been really busy and just been able to get on here after coming back from santa pod, i got my plugs changed and the white injectors put in and the car now runs like an absoulute dream again and pulls hard as hell in every gear thanks to Stuart at SW Autos.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Good to hear buddy,so the whites did make a difference?
    get in,shut-up and hold on.

Thread Information