Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Anyone else with FSD's and Eibachs?

Just wondered as have a few questions regarding the ride and whether the Shocks change over time. Mine seem to be getting worse by the day and the car is crashing and banging over pot holes.

I went for this setup because I thought it was the best inbetween setup. Not too hard not too soft.

Don't get me wrong, its great on well laid A + B roads and the car handles very well but the rest of the time on normal British roads its just uncomfortable and the cars skips about loads.

It was fine to start with, but over the past month its got noticably worse. I would be interested in Redbrick's honest opinion as he is the only one to have been in my car.

Cheers
    Mark
    V70 T5 P2 2001

RICA UPGRADE
    KONI FSD SHOCKS
    EIBACH SPRINGS
    POLY TOP MOUNT
    18" NEBULA'S

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have just bought FSD's & have apex springs already on the car. I'm now worried that this may be a bad thing!

Did you feel that the car was softer when they were first installed? Or are you maybe just feeling it more as the novelty wears off?

Have you considered contacting Koni for advice?

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

mikouk (Friday 10th July 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Did you feel that the car was softer when they were first installed? Or are you maybe just feeling it more as the novelty wears off?
    Thats a good thought but I know if it had felt like it does now I wouldn't have liked it. I know I was really pleased when i first got it as it was the perfect mix. Its tricky to remember to be honest. I will probably give Russ a ring at RT's and see what he thinks.

Have you considered contacting Koni for advice?
    Good plan mate, I'll do that. Cheers.

If I were you I would think carefully before fitting them. Thats why I need to really hear from someone who has them fitted already and they can maybe help both of us out.
    V70 T5 P2 2001

RICA UPGRADE
    KONI FSD SHOCKS
    EIBACH SPRINGS
    POLY TOP MOUNT
    18" NEBULA'S

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It could just be that they take a couple of months to "bed in" & then they feel like that permenantly.

Or could it be that the springs don't suit properly? I had my springs on for 2 weeks, then the car started handling like a greasy ferritt! My local who fitted them said they had jumped the seats & had unbalanced the car, but they put it right & it felt good again until the front OS shock went! I have a variable braking distance now! Hence the splashing out on some expensive HW.

Koni may ask to inspect the car to verify the instalation, and the condition of the car (assuming they answer you that is!), they may look to find fault in everything else before their products.

Have you looked at the mounts & seats?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Have you looked at the mounts & seats?
    I'm afraid the problem with me is I'm still at the learning stage and have very little mechanical knowlage. Hence sometimes I have to go with peoples word! I wouldn't know what I was lookiing for if I knew where to look.

Any advise is very much appreciated!
    V70 T5 P2 2001

RICA UPGRADE
    KONI FSD SHOCKS
    EIBACH SPRINGS
    POLY TOP MOUNT
    18" NEBULA'S

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well the suspension mounts (bits that hold the top of the suspension to the car) and the seats (plastic looking bits that the springs sit under below the mounts) could have failed if they were old or worn, or if they have been put back on incorrectly the car could feel rubbish.

Maybe get them looked at by whoever fitted them, and check for any issues with the wishbones too! Stiffer shocks & springs may have killed something else...

P.s. I am not attempting to insult any members who may have worked on this car, things do fail & we are all human!
    Last edited by thebadger; Friday 10th July 2009 at 16:25. Reason: ignorance

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Good thoughts mate. I have spoken to Koni direct and they just say go back to the fitter. I know the whole suspension was taken apart and new poly bushes were fitted to the mounts and wishbones and that one of the wishbones was replaced too. The guy at Koni says that the fact I have used Eibach springs means that the shocks are working at their limit as 30mm is the most they advise you to lower it and that really the FSD's are supposed to be used with standard suspension, which is interesting.

Your thought of something else dying is of course a possibility. The snag I have is that I worked Monday to Friday so have no time to go get it checked out. I suppose I will just have to make time!

thanks mate for your help.
    V70 T5 P2 2001

RICA UPGRADE
    KONI FSD SHOCKS
    EIBACH SPRINGS
    POLY TOP MOUNT
    18" NEBULA'S

has no status...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikouk View Post
    Good thoughts mate. I have spoken to Koni direct and they just say go back to the fitter. I know the whole suspension was taken apart and new poly bushes were fitted to the mounts and wishbones and that one of the wishbones was replaced too. The guy at Koni says that the fact I have used Eibach springs means that the shocks are working at their limit as 30mm is the most they advise you to lower it and that really the FSD's are supposed to be used with standard suspension, which is interesting.

Your thought of something else dying is of course a possibility. The snag I have is that I worked Monday to Friday so have no time to go get it checked out. I suppose I will just have to make time!

thanks mate for your help.
    Hi Mark,

it was a good idea to speak to Koni but you should see if Eibach have anything to offer as well, it's too easy for one company to point the finger at the other...maybe a different Eibach spring is available? In my view RT's independent opinion would then be the way to go. . . but that's just my two penneths worth.

2001 V70 T5 - Auto, Dark Anthracite Comets, Volvo Window blinds, ITG Panel filter, Strut bar solid bushes with powerflex top mount

Must update my sigpic ...the S60 lemon went a while ago.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to richiemat For This Useful Post:

mikouk (Thursday 16th July 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    Hi mate, you worry too much. At the MRG meet you were paranoid there was something not right with your car, but even the technician said everything was fine lol.

I know it's a different car, but i had the fsd's and eibachs on my old 850. Both were fitted by Russ, but before they were fitted Russ inspected the car and recommended other items were changed at the same time eg top and bottom mounts etc etc. I'm sure yours would of also had all this done, as you as well as i know how particular Russ is.

Ideally the fsd's are meant to be used with standard springs, but i would of thought your eibachs would of only lowered the car by 25mm max, so no issues there imo.

Just enjoy driving it.

catch up soon at a local meet.

mike

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MIKESC70T5 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have a 2001 C70 with all upgrades and servicing carried out by RT Mechanics.the initial fitment of eibachs improved the feel but the car didn't drop much until a later visit for FSD's and IPD anti roll bars front and rear with uprated drop links and volvo strut brace, following this the car sat lower and handled well, torque steer and the equivalent under braking as I have the AP brake kit has ben dealt with by upgraded bushes throughout including quite solid bushing on the wishbones. I come to the point now, the car can still be skittish and I've finally resolved this by maintaining correct tyre pressures. I used to inflate front and rear to 42psi as per the handbook for heavy load and high speed but now leave the pressures of the Goodyear Eagle Assymetrics at 35psi and all's well and now you're bored.
    Big thanks to Russ for all advice patience and hard work. Cheers Tim

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to officerbrooks For This Useful Post:

mikouk (Thursday 16th July 2009),RT MECHANICS (Wednesday 28th October 2009)

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    I wrote a long reply last night and then pressed the back-space button and it wiped the lot- I gave up at that stage

Here's a summary:

My wife drives a RICA'd Passat on Eibachs and Eibach shocks (Boge or sachs re-branded), your ride quality is very similar, hard and unforgiving. Don't think yours is broken I think that is just the way it is going to be.

All solutions are going to cost you money, not only in parts but fitting as well unless you DIY. Just wondering why you went for Eibach springs, what was wrong with your originals? If you still had them you could get them refitted and see if the FSD's work better with them.

This is the main reason I went with Bilstein B6's Heavy duty (HD), no chopping of the original shocks was needed and they are designed to work with standard springs. My car is low enough and I didn't want to ruin its load lugging/towing ability.

Did you hear that during that afternoon of fun at MRG I broke the off side front top mount- I think it had probably gone when you and I went out in mine! If you thought it was good before its even better now Sorry

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Redbrick For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quick one on this subject then...

My car has apex springs on which "claim" 35mm lowering.

Should I get them off if I'm fitting the koni's?

Car goes in tomorrow, so a quick answer would be nice! Cheers!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It was fine to start with, but over the past month its got noticably worse. I would be interested in Redbrick's honest opinion as he is the only one to have been in my car.
    How long since you had them fitted? Mine have been on for two and a half years, no problems.

Maybe the fault is your local council, and it's the potholes getting bigger, not your shocks getting worse.
    2001 C70 Convertible T5 GT

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    standard springs and FSD maybe, I would go for standard next time. I had Eibachs and my own supplied FSDs put on by Russ and I had to take it back as one the springs at the back was playing up. I will put it back to standard next time around....I preferred the ride comfort. Yeah the handling is spot and it grips well, but if you want to put the power down without torque steer, fit 17's and new volvo springs and shocks std ones. In the real world of shagged roads , keep the comfort.

If someone wants to buy me Volvo standard springs and shocks and swap them over for me , they can have mine...
    Last edited by Babybadger; Thursday 16th July 2009 at 16:53.
    A 2001 Buell X1 Lightning now in sunny Tenerife and a Santa Cruz Superlight..yes I will get on it!
    Looking for a Honda Hornet CB600FS (fairing one in Blue) for the UK

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Babybadger For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
    How long since you had them fitted? Mine have been on for two and a half years, no problems.

Maybe the fault is your local council, and it's the potholes getting bigger, not your shocks getting worse.
    Dunno whether it's worth saying, but I also have a strut brace fitted. No idea if that would affect what you're describing. It instantly tightened the steering right up though.
    2001 C70 Convertible T5 GT

25. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    it was a good idea to speak to Koni but you should see if Eibach have anything to offer as well, it's too easy for one company to point the finger at the other...maybe a different Eibach spring is available? In my view RT's independent opinion would then be the way to go. . . but that's just my two penneths worth.
    Your right mate. I have spoken to Russ and he says just bring it back in and he will check it out for me so can't ask for fairer than that.

Hi mate, you worry too much. At the MRG meet you were paranoid there was something not right with your car, but even the technician said everything was fine lol.
    I know I do mate! That problem though was something different! LOL. And it had been pointed out by another mechanic. I'm not implying it hasn't been fitted properly at all just to make that clear!

the car can still be skittish and I've finally resolved this by maintaining correct tyre pressures. I used to inflate front and rear to 42psi as per the handbook for heavy load and high speed but now leave the pressures of the Goodyear Eagle Assymetrics at 35psi and all's well
    I wil try that but I'm not sure it will help as its like the shocks are hitting their stops or something is hitting something!!! Worth a try though and thanks

How long since you had them fitted?
    6 months and I don't have the strut bar as I think there maybe problems with it hitting the engine mount bar and I don't want to stiffen that up anymore for fear of vibration.

standard springs and FSD maybe, I would go for standard next time
    Yes thats what Koni have said and Russ says I should try so thats probably the best option.

I think thats everyone. I do appreciate the help and I do get paranoid as I have always been very unlucky with cars. Also as my mechanical knowlage is low I have to go by the feel of the car. I had a civic type r and that was the hardest ride I have experienced but although it was bumpy over pot holes it didn't bang (not noise but feel) Its like when you clip a kerb and hit the rim. Its difficult to explain. I'm sure it will all come clear when I take it to Russ.

Maybe I'm just getting old?!

Thanks again for all the help
    Mark
    V70 T5 P2 2001

RICA UPGRADE
    KONI FSD SHOCKS
    EIBACH SPRINGS
    POLY TOP MOUNT
    18" NEBULA'S

This user has no status
    Thanks

Thumbs up

6 months and I don't have the strut bar as I think there maybe problems with it hitting the engine mount bar and I don't want to stiffen that up anymore for fear of vibration.

Maybe I'm just getting old?!
    I've got the engine mount bar cheapo strut bar conversion on my D5. One of the first "real" mods I have EVER done, beyond fitting mudflaps, etc. Didn't make much difference to the vibration at all although I don't have a poly top mount (turns out I've got one of the newer square Volvo bushes that are meant to have overcome the issues of the older circular pattern ones breaking up over time). If you have lived with any added vibration from a poly top I can't see that giving this a go is any more "harmful". It also only takes a few large washers and a few minutes to try it out. If you don't like it, whip out the washers and back to normal. Simples as they say.....
    Mind you, I've also got a proper Ultra-Racing stru brace as well. Well tight sir.....

Are you getting too old - doesn't even enter me head See my sig.

I guess we all must have a little bit of paranoia when make some changes. No one is doing exactly the same as each other so we're all in a voyage of discovery, so to speak. I'm still praying I've made the right choices in the long run. At least the only mistake so far has been a cheap one (engine torque mount) - he says, crossing fingers, toes, reaching for the nearest lump of wood, shooting next doors black cat, etc.

Don't let age define you. It's a number that's all.

04 V70 D5 EUIII SE (MTE remap, IPD arb's, Eibach Pros, TWR custom FMIC, UR front strut brace)

Thread Information