Join Today
    New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts

Not boosting properly after turbo rebuild

As the title says, recently rebuilt my turbo, and since refitting it, the turbo won't boost above 7-8 psi. Its the LPT turbo, and as standard boosts to 5-6psi. I have an mbc fitted, and before the rebuild it was boosting to 10-11psi. It also seems to take ages to spool up, and its louder than it was before, but I'm putting this down to the new seals and bearings.

Is there a wear-in period?

Just want a list of things to look for (obviously I've already checked all the pipes for leaks). Could it be the wastegate? I've had the CBV off and checked that too, but it seems to be ok.

Cheers

Bomb
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If it was assembled correctly it should be no different to before. It could be that a snap ring or throw washer is in wrong causing a problem. Was it free to spin after reassembly?

New Identity
    Thanks
    Yeah, wasn't tight or anything, as far as I can remember it spun the same as it did before the rebuild but without the play in the bearings. And I didn't touch the wastegate arm, so it can't have moved.

I'm gonna have to give it a going over when the temperatures frop, as its too hot to be working round a hot engine bay at the moment.

One thing I did find the other day was there was some gunk in the mbc output pipe. Fitting the mbc in backwards (oops LOL) must have flushed it out, so maybe that was preventing the pressure from reaching the wategate actuator.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    if the MBC was blocked the actuator wouldn't open at all & you'd be getting more boost

New Identity
    Thanks
    Yeah, so I'm thinking that before I rebuilt the turbo, the mbc was doing nothing

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks

Talking

Strange one as MBC's are very simple things. Have you tried removing it from the loop to see what,if any difference there is?

Thread Information