Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

am going to renew pcv

i am going to change my pcv system is there any speical tools needed and how hard is it to change many thanks

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ikp_77 View Post
    i am going to change my pcv system is there any speical tools needed and how hard is it to change many thanks
    no special tools really except various torx drivers as seems to be pretty standard on volvos, it's not to hard just time consuming, you have a pair of ramps/axlestands? if you aint got the parts try rufe on here think he does a good deal for vpcuk

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Rufe would be your best source for the parts, think I paid between £70 and £80 for mine.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    £70 delivered for mine and recieved it next day, Rufe is highly reccomended

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    I found I needed a decent set of 1/4" bits, as getting onto some of the inlet manifold bolts was hard with my chunky 1/2" set.

Not sure you need jack/axle stands/chocks for the PCV but it's a long time since I did it :-)

Cheers, Pete
    '97MY black 855R manual M56H
    Porsche/S60R BBK, 17"x8J Pegasus, RIP, Samco coolant & vac, Koni SSK/Nivo, Simota, 15G angle flange, IPD turbo back & HT, MSD coil, chipped, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dooby View Post
    I found I needed a decent set of 1/4" bits, as getting onto some of the inlet manifold bolts was hard with my chunky 1/2" set.

Not sure you need jack/axle stands/chocks for the PCV but it's a long time since I did it :-)

Cheers, Pete
    Think i just used 3/8th drive mostly never had the need much anywhere on 1/2 inch drive specially on motorbikes but it was a while back, i seem to remember there was a few bolts bottom of manifold by the dipstick tube was easier to get under front of car ie:- on ramps/axle stands but there maybe other methods

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Done my PCV myself, it's not too bad to do, just follow the guidelines in the Haynes manual. BUT there are a few items not mentioned that I learnt the hard way...hopefully, my pain will be your easy job!..

Recommend you have a longish extension and universal joint fitting on the end of the socket to get to some of the manifold bolts. I used a 1/4" set. Remove the top ones and just loosen the bottom ones enough to lift the manifold off.

Remove your battery, or cover the battery/airbox with a blanket/bit of card to rest the manifold on when it's off.

Make sure you have a set of jubilee clips to clamp the new hoses on, as the standard ones will be useless once you take them off. From memory, I think they need to be circa 22mm ones, but don't quote me on that.

If your reusing the breather hose (that goes from the PCV round the front of the engine to the Air inlet round the back) be really careful not to bend is too much as the heat and age tend to make it brittle. I'd recommed getting the full kit from Rufe.

Take your time re seating the manifold (with a new gasket) as it can be a pig to get right - I'd recommend marking the location of the manifold braket before you remove it so you can set the height correctly when it goes back. Like in the Haynes manual, have a torque wrench handy for the manifold bolts...

Don't forget to re-attach the vac hose on the LHS of the manifold BEFORE re-fitting! Helps to have a mate with you as you need 4 pairs of hands.

Good luck, hope this helps! If you have any specific questions feel free to ask/PM me.

Cheers
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

Powerflow Exhaust | Drilled & Grooved disks (rear) | ABS ECU repaired | Alloys refurbed | Strut brace fitted | Poly Top engine bush | Replaced front quarter panel | Replaced Front Passenger Door |PCV system replaced | ITG Panel filter | New radiator fitted | 302mm Drilled & Grooved disks (Front) | EBC Pads | Drop links |VPCUK Sticker

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sorry - just noticed yours is a Phase 2 / 70 series.

My PCV experience was on my N Reg 850. Shouldn't make too great a difference, but just wanted to point it out.

I must pay more attention in future!
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

Powerflow Exhaust | Drilled & Grooved disks (rear) | ABS ECU repaired | Alloys refurbed | Strut brace fitted | Poly Top engine bush | Replaced front quarter panel | Replaced Front Passenger Door |PCV system replaced | ITG Panel filter | New radiator fitted | 302mm Drilled & Grooved disks (Front) | EBC Pads | Drop links |VPCUK Sticker

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Reading this its worth noting that with model year 1999 (ME7 and newer) on have the heated pcv system, so although its pretty much the same job, the main tube also has incorporated to it a coolant pipe with banjo fittings at either end. This main tube is actually very expensive, and on its own your looking at around £95 or so believe it or not, (as oppose to about £25 for the earlier version) this makes the job for the newer cars quite a bit more expensive, though some people prefer to not change that hose due to its cost, and only clean it out. its not ideal but better than ignoring it. In these cases if ordering a kit you would still get the set of 4 copper washers in order to be able to take the hose off clean it and refit.

Simon
    If VOLVO is Your Drug, I am Your Dealer!

FRF FEEDBACK (click here)

Click Here for Info on FRF Motors...

<FOR QUOTES PLEASE CALL 01792 790066 / 01792 784272>

(Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm)

PLEASE QUOTE DISCOUNT CODE: "C3" FOR OUR BEST DISCOUNTED PRICES!

Thread Information