Join Today

Thread: CV boot repair

This user has no status
    Thanks

CV boot repair

Been underneath the car today to see what's what after failing it's MOT.

Failed on the CV gaitor (split). When I've had a look, it's a teenie-tiny (less than 2mm) hole! I have a spare, but am on the clock to get it back for the re-test and was wondering if I could get away with just patching up the hole with superglue and a bit of inner tube?

I'll then do the job properly when I'm uprating the disks/shocks in the next few months.

Any opinions? Would the MOT centre still fail the CV gaitor if it was patched?

Thanks in advance..
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

Powerflow Exhaust | Drilled & Grooved disks (rear) | ABS ECU repaired | Alloys refurbed | Strut brace fitted | Poly Top engine bush | Replaced front quarter panel | Replaced Front Passenger Door |PCV system replaced | ITG Panel filter | New radiator fitted | 302mm Drilled & Grooved disks (Front) | EBC Pads | Drop links |VPCUK Sticker

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Unsure weather they would allow that but if you nip to volvo or gsf or euro car parts and get a new boot itdoesnt take too long to replace then easily done in the day.
    Better to be safe than sorry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

Diesel64 (Wednesday 1st July 2009)

This user has no status

Thanks
    How much gear has to be removed to change boot ,tech job?

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Off the top of my head everything that ataches to the hub appart from drive shaft then depending on which side its on theres a bracket that holds the drive shaft up on the drivers side.
    Then pull the shaft out of the gear box, also if on the drivers side the shaft will have to be seprated to allow a new boot to be put on ide say for some ones first time and reading from the haynes it would take no longer that a day.
    Hope this helps pete

6. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

Singing in the rain!
    Thanks
    You can get quick fit cv boots that you cut to size then glue right along the edge, I personally don't trust these in the long term but as your after a quick fix pop into your local parts shop and ask for a universal cv boot.
    cut off your old one and fit the new one by glueing it along the seam and clamping only takes about ten minutes and is MOT safe.
    "I am never wrong! Just in a position to learn something new!"
    Mods so far, HLM ReMap, Goodridge brake lines, Eibach springs lowering 35mm, K&N57i filter with cold air, Strut brace, Shark fin aerial, Boost guage
    YES IT'S A DIESEL
    Wish list, BOV, 18" rims, Struts, Stainless exhaust, Injector Upgrade, MORE POWER!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CONDYBOY For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CONDYBOY View Post
    You can get quick fit cv boots that you cut to size then glue right along the edge, I personally don't trust these in the long term but as your after a quick fix pop into your local parts shop and ask for a universal cv boot.
    cut off your old one and fit the new one by glueing it along the seam and clamping only takes about ten minutes and is MOT safe.
    Cheers mate, Looked at the split types, but I don't trust them either.

Spoke to the MOT centre and they don't recommend trying my luck with a patch and I already have a spare CV boot in my box of bits, so I've taken tomorrow off (weather permitting) to crack on and get it done. Bit gutted, seeing how small the hole is, but rules are rules...
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

Powerflow Exhaust | Drilled & Grooved disks (rear) | ABS ECU repaired | Alloys refurbed | Strut brace fitted | Poly Top engine bush | Replaced front quarter panel | Replaced Front Passenger Door |PCV system replaced | ITG Panel filter | New radiator fitted | 302mm Drilled & Grooved disks (Front) | EBC Pads | Drop links |VPCUK Sticker

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel64 View Post
    Cheers mate, Looked at the split types, but I don't trust them either.

Spoke to the MOT centre and they don't recommend trying my luck with a patch and I already have a spare CV boot in my box of bits, so I've taken tomorrow off (weather permitting) to crack on and get it done. Bit gutted, seeing how small the hole is, but rules are rules...
    I just had my outer one done for MOT, apparently they can't fail you on the inner ones , only the outer ones.
    A 2001 Buell X1 Lightning now in sunny Tenerife and a Santa Cruz Superlight..yes I will get on it!
    Looking for a Honda Hornet CB600FS (fairing one in Blue) for the UK

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Babybadger View Post
    apparently they can't fail you on the inner ones , only the outer ones.
    That's good to know! Sadly, it's the outer CV for me...

Is it that they can't fail you, or is it that they just don't check? lol!
    Last edited by Diesel64; Wednesday 1st July 2009 at 23:32.
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel64 View Post
    That's good to know! Sadly, it's the outer CV for me...

Is it that they can't fail you, or is it that they just don't check? lol!
    Both I think!
    A 2001 Buell X1 Lightning now in sunny Tenerife and a Santa Cruz Superlight..yes I will get on it!
    Looking for a Honda Hornet CB600FS (fairing one in Blue) for the UK

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    They should take no more than 30 mins a side. Support car safely remove wheel and remove bottom ball joint pinch bolt and lower the arm, the track rod end or the caliper and then you can cut the old one off and release the circlip in the cv so that the shaft can be separated from the cv. Now clean the old grease out and fit new boot onto the shaft and reassemble. It can be hard to remove the CV from the shaft but it should just knock off. I did two in front of ChrisS70 in under 40 mins so an hour to do both is fair.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

Diesel64 (Thursday 2nd July 2009)

Thread Information