Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

MOT Failure :( New Exhaust needed :D

The Maroon Marauder failed it's MOT today, slightly gutted (put a fair bit of time in sorting ABS and Engine management light issues and replacing front quarter panel (rotted) and passeger front door (arguement with a bollard)) but not that surprised...she's getting a bit long in the tooth afterall.

Failed on:
    Driver side repeater not working (have spare - 1 min job)
    Handbrake need adjusting (oops! meant do that before putting it in)
    CV gaitor split (have spare already)

All bits I can do myself this weekend. No Problem.

But here's the kicker(s)...Also Failed on:

Exhaust blowing from major hole in centre
    Mix rich, unable to maintain steady fast idle (reported by MOT fella there's a slight misfire as well)

I think the rich mix is from a botched PCV replacement where I must have not seated the inlet manifold properly or goosed the gasket. Will get a new gasket and try re-seating it this week. Anyone think this could cause the unsteady fast idle? Or could this be a dodgy throttle link? (it's got a bit of slop, but has always been like that)...

Now for the fun bit... I've decided to finally give back the love and start uprating, well Everything! First step is the exhaust obviously. Best deal I've found so far is £365 delivered for a Scorpion system (EBay). I knows some of you have/had fitted the same. Any advice? I have a single exit zaust on at the mo - how difficult is it to fit a twin pipe system? Is there much difference between the two? Any places you know of selling these systems other than E-Bay? Any comments or feedback would be welcome.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Diesel64; Saturday 27th June 2009 at 01:58.
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

Powerflow Exhaust | Drilled & Grooved disks (rear) | ABS ECU repaired | Alloys refurbed | Strut brace fitted | Poly Top engine bush | Replaced front quarter panel | Replaced Front Passenger Door |PCV system replaced | ITG Panel filter | New radiator fitted | 302mm Drilled & Grooved disks (Front) | EBC Pads | Drop links |VPCUK Sticker

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If the car is 'long in the tooth' as you say -why bother flushing away £1,000's of pounds on it.

If you want a sorted car why not go the better route, sell yours, then haggle with Craigmaz on his (mint looking) 855 T5 which seems to very well uprated and sorted.

I feel you'd be better just burning your money (much less hassle) than fixing up your car.

Cheers
    Volvo 855 2.5 10v CD

Its got everything except a turbo - boo hoo...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 850 2.5 10v View Post
    If the car is 'long in the tooth' as you say -why bother flushing away £1,000's of pounds on it.

If you want a sorted car why not go the better route, sell yours, then haggle with Craigmaz on his (mint looking) 855 T5 which seems to very well uprated and sorted.

I feel you'd be better just burning your money (much less hassle) than fixing up your car.

Cheers
    You have a fair point and I know what your saying has merit, but there is still plenty of life left in the car and I can't bear to part with it!

When I said 'long in the tooth', I only mean in small, cosmetic senses. It's still solid, pulls well and drives straight.

I'm never going to spend £1000's on it and nice as it would be, am not talking a full make over like Russ (RTMechanics) is doing. I just want to get it up to a standard that I can live with.

With that said, I have slept on the exhaust issue and probably won't splash out on a full Stainless system, but instead look to find a decent T5R cat-back.

Anyone know of one going?

Cheers for you comments though, they're always welcome.
    Last edited by Diesel64; Friday 26th June 2009 at 15:29.
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

Powerflow Exhaust | Drilled & Grooved disks (rear) | ABS ECU repaired | Alloys refurbed | Strut brace fitted | Poly Top engine bush | Replaced front quarter panel | Replaced Front Passenger Door |PCV system replaced | ITG Panel filter | New radiator fitted | 302mm Drilled & Grooved disks (Front) | EBC Pads | Drop links |VPCUK Sticker

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel64 View Post
    I'm never going to spend £1000's on it and nice as it would be, am not talking a full make over like Justin (RT mechanics) is doing.

you mean Russ at RTMechanics lol

With that said, I have slept on the exhaust issue and probably won't splash out on a full Stainless system, but instead look to find a decent T5R cat-back.

Anyone know of one going?
    tony will have one, banned on here and T5D5 but known as strbryan on the voc forum.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to irf For This Useful Post:

RT MECHANICS (Friday 26th June 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irf View Post
    you mean Russ at RTMechanics lol
    Doh, Yes, I ment Russ - See what happens when I don't double check my facts!

Cheers for pointing the clanger and double thanks for the head up re the exhausts. will look into it.
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    you have pm

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

Diesel64 (Friday 26th June 2009)

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Glad you got sorted, sure it will sound nice.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    New zaust sorted.woo!

Road trip in the Golf GTi with my lass is now planned for sunday. I'm almost as excited about the drive down to get it as fitting it! Thank you again Jamest5r!
    Last edited by Diesel64; Monday 29th June 2009 at 12:37. Reason: just sharing the love...
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Worth saying, Russ when I DO get that elusive lottery win, I will be sending my T5 your way, been watching your posts re: your work and dammit I'm jealous! Apologies again for the goof before. And also apologies to Justin, I'm equally in envy of yours hence the mix up...

oohh! New beefy zaust! Roll on sunday!!

Still wondering if anyone has any opinion re:the Fast idle issue though?

Cheers.
    Last edited by Diesel64; Saturday 27th June 2009 at 01:55.
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Worth saying, Russ when I DO get that elusive lottery win, I will be sending my T5 your way, been watching your posts re: your work and dammit I'm jealous! Apologies again for the goof before. And also apologies to Justin, I'm equally in envy of yours hence the mix up...

Cheers.
    Hi Thanks for the kind words and thinking of me if your ever my way do let me know i have really enjoyed my project its been a massive amount of work i am starting '' save the T5/T5R/850R ''

Russ
    LOOK at our project :
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16301
    591 BHP 524 Ftlbs torque so far
    The Most Powerful T5 in the UK

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thought I'd just put an update on. Been under the car today to see for myself the faults listed on the MOT.

Side repeater fixed.

Handbrake adjusted.

The 'Major' leak in the exhaust looks like nothing more than the Cat to Exhaust clamp being loose. Bit annoyed with the garage for not spotting that, but not the end of the world.

The CV split is a 2mm cut in the rubber. Going to speak to the Garage on monday to see if I can patch it to get it through the MOT so I have some extra time to source the new drop links/brakes etc and do the lot in one go. have to wait and see on that one.

All that's left is the rich mix/holding fast idle issue. When I had a go myself I couldn't get it to hold 2500RPM. Would be fine upto 2400RPM and then just run away from me, no matter how gradual I was on the throttle pedal. I could, however, get it to hold steady by moving the throttle in the engine bay. I'm pretty sure the throttle link is dodgy. On both ends, the ball joints feel loose and can move left/right really easily.

Anyone know if this should be tight ball joint (like a drop link) or loose?

Cheers.
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

This user has no status
    Thanks

Cheers.
    When you win the lottery your Volvo (and probably Volvo generally) will be long forgotten by you as the range of vehicles you will have access to will make an old Volvo seem too insignificant to worry about!

People always think they'll "spend £20k and make the ultimate old Volvo" - you won't as you'll be too busy doing all sorts of more exciting stuff.
    Volvo 855 2.5 10v CD

Its got everything except a turbo - boo hoo...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 850 2.5 10v View Post
    When you win the lottery your Volvo (and probably Volvo generally) will be long forgotten by you as the range of vehicles you will have access to will make an old Volvo seem too insignificant to worry about!

People always think they'll "spend £20k and make the ultimate old Volvo" - you won't as you'll be too busy doing all sorts of more exciting stuff.
    Could well be right mate, but in my head I have my dream garage...
    My 854 T5, nicely sorted just for posperity.
    A V70R Estate with all the trimmings.
    A Classic mini with a VTEC lump
    And the Aston for going down the shops in.

Bob
    850 T5 saloon

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just a quick update,

Exhaust is fitted! had some trouble getting the old one out cos I couldn't get the tailpipe off and struggled to get the back up high enough, but got it done finally.

Just CV boot and inlet manifold gasket to do...
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

returning after getting lost
    Thanks
    never struggle getting an old exhaust off just use an air saw or hacksaw on it if its no longer needed

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonno12 View Post
    never struggle getting an old exhaust off just use an air saw or hacksaw on it if its no longer needed
    yeah, would have made life a whole lot simpler! Thought I might have been able to salvage it and sell it on, but given the ruddy great big hole in the top of the 'suitcase' it's now destined for the scrappy.

Plus, an air saw isn't part of my arsenal, yet.
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

This user has no status
    Thanks

PASSED! Woo!

Yep, have the green bit of paper to prove it! Happy, happy days!
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks

Would suggest vacuum leak mate.........Mine was exactly the same,idling at 1200rpm and really p"""""g me off. Turrned out to be that little b*****d at the left hand side of the inlet fanimold.HTH

Thread Information