Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Air intake and box

Hi Everybody.

I know this is going to start the debate off again on drilled air boxes but here goes.
    My V70r had a drilled air box when i got it, it has been tuned with a BSR re-map and had some custom twiddling done, all this carried out with the drilled box.

The heat soak was pretty terrible and on a hot day when stuck in traffic it really grumbled so i wrapped the airbox in alluminium tape and sealed all the holes. This has cured the heat soak issues but has given me a few more.

The car is definately not as quick of the mark now, it is quieter which i like but it has lost the urgency it once had, also it has put the lambda light on.

I dont know too much about tuning but could the lambda light have come on as it was tuned with the drilled box on?

I have been poking around the car today and trying to suss out a better cold air route, i dont want a cone filter as i like the car quiet, where the air intake is just to the top right of the rad and behind the grille i have a plastic piece screwed in that all but covers the air intake pipe, i assume its there to stop water getting in to the box but it also means the car is sucking in warm restricted air right off the rad?

Is it a good idea to remove the cover? i dont think it will be an issue but would appreciate your ideas.

Cheers

Steve
    1998 V70R
    Custom Tuned

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks

Talking

Drilled airbox,oh dear!! If that cover is not a factory fit then my opinion is that it shouldn't be there.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    blocking the holes up will have no affect on the tuning & not the reason the light has come on, as for the cover thats what Volvo call the "snow cover" & many people have removed it if no troubles (but we don't get much snow lol)

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks

Question

Hey Ped,is it to an advantage to remove this? Mine is so original,it had the dealer tax disc holder so in no doubt it'll be there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    Hey Ped,is it to an advantage to remove this? Mine is so original,it had the dealer tax disc holder so in no doubt it'll be there.
    there will be an advantage because of the straight line air-flow, but i doubt you'll actually notice it (but all the little things add up as well)

FFM has borrowed my stainless air intake pipe, i'm waiting for a report to whether he noticed a performance difference with it
    Last edited by p fandango; Sunday 21st June 2009 at 17:21.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

AlanG (Sunday 21st June 2009)

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks

Talking

Providing my resident house guests aren't in possesion tomorrow,I'll have a look at that. Ta mate......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    Providing my resident house guests aren't in possesion tomorrow,I'll have a look at that. Ta mate......
    no problem mate, you may not actually have one anyway (mine didn't & not sure what year they were added)

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks

Thumbs up

Mine's a Jan '96 on an 'N'. Will let you know.........thanks again.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies.

The lambda was on due to the missus putting in cheap petrol, she didnt tell me, it always comes on after cheap low octane fuel is put in.

I have removed the snow guard but would still like to sort a better air intake route but without making under the bonnet look like halfords, has anybody done a good neat job and got any pics?

Ta

Steve
    1998 V70R
    Custom Tuned

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahhpigsy View Post
    I have removed the snow guard but would still like to sort a better air intake route but without making under the bonnet look like halfords, has anybody done a good neat job and got any pics?
    it really does depend what sort of thing you want, the simplest thing to start with is cutting out the corrugated section pre-turbo & fit a small piece of metal tubing, or you can redo the whole pipe

the right hand one is my original pipe with the removed corrugated section & a Pipercross Viper filter. The left is my lastest pipe with enlarged diameter pipe (has been shortened & a cone filter added onto the end since)

Thread Information