Join Today

Thread: D5's

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks

Exclamation D5's

Exiting a roundabout on a 70mph A-road,I was side by side with a cheeky monkey in a V50 D5 who wanted to show how fast his car was. Chokes me to say but I actually had to make an effort to blow the bugger off. Amazing how the van engine has come on!! Still,the T5 rules.

This user has no status

Thanks
    We d5 lot are not too far behind!!!! lol. and with 40+mpg who can complain.

850 T5-R newbie
    Thanks

Thumbs up

indeed... sometimes I wish I had a D5, but they rev-out too quickly. However torque is amazing!!

Still not as fast, and as fun as a petrol!

Isn't FACT now?... I was reading in the paper, to have a diesel nowadays is more expensive to run? They only start paying for themselves years later, and when you have clocked over 50K? How much is diesel now?

Might of opened a can of worms here, but put your thoughts in on this one...
    Volvo 850 T5-R (Gul Yellow) 1994
    Manual - Saloon

This user has no status
    Thanks
    going back a year or two ago i would of agreed with that but as there is only about 3pence difference now between diesel and petrol prices i wouldnt say it anymore

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    Exiting a roundabout on a 70mph A-road,I was side by side with a cheeky monkey in a V50 D5 who wanted to show how fast his car was. Chokes me to say but I actually had to make an effort to blow the bugger off. Amazing how the van engine has come on!! Still,the T5 rules.
    i'm surprised he beat you at lower speeds like that, altho mine is only a 163bhp it really does struggle & can't even get it too spin the tyres up (& no the STC hasn't cut in). Once its rolling at about 50ish you can just floor it anywhere & it'll pull well

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by callyuk View Post
    going back a year or two ago i would of agreed with that but as there is only about 3pence difference now between diesel and petrol prices i wouldnt say it anymore
    diesel & petrol are both 99.9p the same price here in Cov, & when you think i picked the D5 up for £2.5k i think i've done reaslly well tbh

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S Singh View Post
    We d5 lot are not too far behind!!!! lol. and with 40+mpg who can complain.
    you thrashing it or what mate lol, admittingly i am still new to the car so making the effort to get the best fuel economy but i'm getting 74mpg on a run & 52mpg around town (both averages)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    diesel & petrol are both 99.9p the same price here in Cov, & when you think i picked the D5 up for £2.5k i think i've done reaslly well tbh
    99.9p i know where im gong to fuel up next time lol both diesel and petrol have crept up to over a pound this way now petrol at 101.9 and diesel at around 106.9 and thats the standard stuff nothing fancy as you cant get 99ron here

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by callyuk View Post
    99.9p i know where im gong to fuel up next time lol both diesel and petrol have crept up to over a pound this way now petrol at 101.9 and diesel at around 106.9 and thats the standard stuff nothing fancy as you cant get 99ron here
    thats at Asda so might be the same price there, the few occasions i have looked at the price in Welshland Asda has been the same as it is in Cov

Casual poster 15 years on!
    Thanks
    T5 rules
    My TWITTER username

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    T5 rules
    i'm lucky that i've got the best of both & just choose which i want to take out (ok i will be able to once BT's back on the road lol)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Think the tipping point is when you recoup the extra purchase cost of a Diesel with the fuel saved over the years, hence the suggested break-point at 50k. Think my current P2 T5 will be the last petrol turbo I own for a while, unless something changes radically with the law - will have to be a chipped 2.4D/ D5 next time. Interesting to read the news yesterday re pollution and the effects of particulates - Diesels may be miles better in terms of CO2 but even with the latest filters they're still worse polluters in my opinion.

Had a performance test with a 330d this morning - he was edging ahead in the mid-range but couldn't compete with the top end power of the petrol motor.
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks

Talking

i'm surprised he beat you at lower speeds like that, altho mine is only a 163bhp it really does struggle & can't even get it too spin the tyres up (& no the STC hasn't cut in). Once its rolling at about 50ish you can just floor it anywhere & it'll pull well
    I didn't say he beat me,just that I had to actually prod the pedal to blow the cheeky upstart away. He'll think twice the next time he sees an 850 in his mirror. Was no real competition.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    T5 rules
    T5
    Cheers Mark..........
    EBC DRILLED GROOVED DISCS. EBC GREEN STUFF PADS. AIR CON REMOVED. TWIN EXIT EXHAUST. BLACK MESH GRILLE.GREEN PAPER AIR FILTER. FRONT SPLITTER. POLY TOP BUSH.V70 REAR LAMPS
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist
    http://www.r2rc.co.uk/landing/index.htm

This user has no status

Thanks
    Have you noticed that a lot more people have coughs nowadays ? A Doc tells me with a high degree of certainty that it is poorly maintained deisels that are the problem, and poorly maintained includes running it within the specified service times... Audi is 18 month intervals. Particulate polution is quite literally going to be a killer.

Thanks
    He'll think twice the next time he sees an 850 in his mirror. Was no real competition.
    back in yey old days Volvo Tuning raced a remapped D5 at one of the Avon meets, if i remember right about the same time as a standard T-5

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks

Talking

back in yey old days Volvo Tuning raced a remapped D5 at one of the Avon meets, if i remember right about the same time as a standard T-5
    Mine is far from standard. No denying they are able and that was my point. They still have some way to go before they compete with modified T5's. Long way in fact.

Thanks
    They still have some way to go before they compete with modified T5's. Long way in fact.
    believe me i know that, its not managed to excite me once yet driving it (but thats not why i brought it)

be interesting to see how the 253bhp Rica D5 compares

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wegal View Post
    Particulate polution is quite literally going to be a killer.
    I did my dissertation on vehicular pollution over 10 years ago, whilst technology and emissions have certainly improved since, it seems the CO2 agenda has pushed the local health affects issues to the background.

Soap box away..
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks

Talking

One thing is for sure buddy and that is that they have really come on. The latest Jag XF diesel beats 60 in less than 6 seconds and it's only a 3l if I'm right. I doubt however anyone will see one at 13 years old. The VW PD setup kicked all this off with ultra-high pressure injection. All you have to do is visit a scrapyard and see all the immaculate,rust-free cars there to see which way it's going.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to AlanG For This Useful Post:

flyingbrick (Friday 12th June 2009)

Thread Information