Join Today
    straight5
    This user has no status

Question ABS and shocks questions

Just wanted to run two questions by people.
    Something is making a "psst" noise when I go over speed bumps etc. I think it is coming from the front passenger side shock absorber. Sounds like air being forced through a small space. Is this a sign that the shock is leaking?
    What are the standard shocks on an S60 T5 and what is the usual cost?
    The other problem I have is (I think) that the ABS is intermittent under heavy braking. I even have found when braking really hard that it has made a distinct banging noise. Is this likely to be a fault with the ABS modulator? If so what is involved in repairing/replacing that?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hello bud.

The banging under braking could be your front link bars. They seem to be a common fault on all volvos. Not sure about the hissing noise don't think it will be coming from your shocks mate.
    Cheers Mark..........
    EBC DRILLED GROOVED DISCS. EBC GREEN STUFF PADS. AIR CON REMOVED. TWIN EXIT EXHAUST. BLACK MESH GRILLE.GREEN PAPER AIR FILTER. FRONT SPLITTER. POLY TOP BUSH.V70 REAR LAMPS
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist
    http://www.r2rc.co.uk/landing/index.htm

3. The Following User Says Thank You to flyingbrick For This Useful Post:

Miserable old goat !
    Thanks
    The Hiss when going over bumps is pretty normal I think,I have heard it from car from day one,Its just the shocks compressing and releasing.The cars undergone so many checks nothings been reported as unusual so far.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60-MBS For This Useful Post:

petax (Thursday 5th July 2012)

straight5
    This user has no status
    Hi Flying Brick, no its definately to do with the ABS. When Im braking really hard and the ABS kicks in, you can feel through the brake pedal as the ABS puts the brake on and off. Sometimes if I brake hard enough but not every time, I can feel the pedal move with a sudden jerk in time with the bang. I recently had all the suspension checked out as I had to have one of the front struts replaced for a different knocking that had initially been a suspected front link. So Im almost certain thats all ok.
    On the psst noise you could be right S60-MBS, I bought the car in December and never noticed it until recently, but maybe not coincidently its obviously been the weather for driving with the windows down recently.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    I used to get the hiss whenever I went over a bump, but I've got new shocks on now, and it doesn't do it anymore.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

straight5
    This user has no status
    After a bit of testing which involved alternating going over speed bumps on just the left or the right, I have found the noise is only coming from the left. So I think therefore that if the right shock doesnt do it, that it must be a bit leaky on the left one. Anyone got advice on shocks. ie cost of etc. Is it worth using the opportunity to upgrade, or are T5 ones pretty good anyway. Certainly handling feels sharper than my father in laws D5. How much improvement could I see with new standard shocks over old standard shocks anyway?

Thread Information