Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

first boost of journey

I've found that after I start the engine for the first time in a day it doesn't appear to be giving much boost - or just doesn't feel like it has any power. . once you've taken the rpm above about 3k and let off it seems to work fine from then on. I am curious as to whether this may be indicative of a problem (oil leak from where the turbo shaft may sit?dodgy bearing?I havnt a clue..) or wether this is a feature of the t5.cheers

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The Turbo won't kick in to around 3000RPM so.......
    VOLVO 854R (1996 model)

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks

Talking

Think it depends on which map,mine spins up at about 2300rpm.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 96T5Andy View Post
    I've found that after I start the engine for the first time in a day it doesn't appear to be giving much boost - or just doesn't feel like it has any power. . once you've taken the rpm above about 3k and let off it seems to work fine from then on. I am curious as to whether this may be indicative of a problem (oil leak from where the turbo shaft may sit?dodgy bearing?I havnt a clue..) or wether this is a feature of the t5.cheers

Do you mean it lacks power until the engine gets warm? I've got a problem with mine that when its cold, it feels like it misfires when i give it some welly (obviously I know that you should really wait until the engine is warm before you do that, but I was just testing)
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I guess its hard to explain, its most noticeable if you start the engine and the first thing you do is go up a hill. Its like the powers being held back, and until after you've got it up to about 3k ish and then let off its not ready yet. only occurs the first time you accelerate after you've turned the engine on. and most of the time you wouldn't notice it because as you say you don't generally give it welly until its warmed up. Likesay, most noticable if the first thing you do is go up a steep hill, in first gear, the kind of hill where changing into second gear too early would result in the engine stalling. Ive been told the power is limited in 1st gear, but its not that.
    If anyone else had experienced it, you would know what I meant!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    iv just had a simalar type fault with my t5r manual,i found that it was spooling up sometimes a 2 n half then 3 then 4 or not hardly at all,my friend pointed out to me under the bonnet i had a vaccum leak from 1 of my boost hoses reconnected now spools up on time everytime mite be worth a luck just as a process of illimanation check the basics then go from there as i thought (not spooling up? turbo knackered) wen in fact it was something much simpler,hope this helps a little

Thread Information