Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Shaking through Steering Wheel....

Right, steering wheel used to judder at certain speeds and braking from about 50, i knew one wheel on old wheels was slightly warped, and that possibly when new wheels were on it would go...................erm no!

Had the new wheels balanced again other week, on top of how they were supplied - but still, between 70 - 80 the steering wheel judders like it has the flu, also while braking from about 50.

Checked discs, pads, CV joints on full lock, bearings - all appear fine

Could it be bad balancing? or what else could it be - its really depressing on motorway runs, and dont like an ill car.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
    I created a genius, who outgrew my teachings, and is now being mentored by a new sensei! Live long Victor!

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Happygilmore78 View Post
    Right, steering wheel used to judder at certain speeds and braking from about 50, i knew one wheel on old wheels was slightly warped, and that possibly when new wheels were on it would go...................erm no!

Had the new wheels balanced again other week, on top of how they were supplied - but still, between 70 - 80 the steering wheel judders like it has the flu, also while braking from about 50.

Could it be bad balancing? or what else could it be - its really depressing on motorway runs, and dont like an ill car.

Cheers

juddering from any speed would usually suspect discs being warped

This user has no status
    Thanks
    When you say warped, could the discs be warped, and not noticeably warped to the eye? like less than a mm and still throw the car into a fit?

Only reason i ask is, we also measured disc gaps from caliper and didnt notice any warp, discs are about a year or more old.
    I created a genius, who outgrew my teachings, and is now being mentored by a new sensei! Live long Victor!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Check your track rod ends and your wishbone bushes

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMopp For This Useful Post:

Happygilmore78 (Tuesday 26th May 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I know this sounds crazy but i had terrible shaking at high speed etc and it turned out to be the rear shocks.

I replaced the standard alloys with brand new alloys, had these new wheels re balanced several times but still i had vibration. I then replaced the disks and pads all round with genuine Volvo items and checked the brake calipers to check they were moving freely, still no joy i still had the vibration.

The rear suspension was sitting low one side when loaded up so i decided to replace both rear shocks with Volvo ones from Rufe, i think they were about £150 for the pair. I test drove the car after and to my amazement the vibration was cured. There now isnt any vibration, even at very high speeds. It must have been the shocks as that was all that was changed that time and it cured it 100%.
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jez.w For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I get it with light braking at speed. It passed an MoT recently and no mention was made about the state of the rod ends or any bushes.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Had the samee issue with my 850, and went through the same series of checks and head scratching..

In the end, turned out to be worn track rod end and drop links.

Hope this helps.
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

Powerflow Exhaust | Drilled & Grooved disks (rear) | ABS ECU repaired | Alloys refurbed | Strut brace fitted | Poly Top engine bush | Replaced front quarter panel | Replaced Front Passenger Door |PCV system replaced | ITG Panel filter | New radiator fitted | 302mm Drilled & Grooved disks (Front) | EBC Pads | Drop links |VPCUK Sticker

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel64 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hey, cheers for the response guys - gives me a little more to look at, as i was scratching my head after weekend

On the bushes side, just look for perished rubber etc? and is there any way of checking if shocks are shot before i replace? its not sitting low at the moment on one side - but sounds identicle, apart from mine also juddering when braking.

Or is it a garage job to check above correctly?

Cheers

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Mine didnt really do it through the brakes as such. I suppose if you think about it, if the shocks are knackered the springs arent being dampened and will be continiously bouncing, causing shaking through the stearing. Even on relatively good roads the suspension is doing quite a lot of damping. I was supprised that my rear shocks caused the steering to shake but as soon as they were replaced it cured it completely. When i took one of the old rear shocks and pushed the rod right in, it didnt come out again, whereas the new one did.
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

Gizza job!
    Thanks

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks

Cheers

brake position sensor? mine was leaking on my glt and pedal was juddering

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Couple of quick questions, sorry if you already answered this elsewhere, are your wheels OE or aftermarket? Are your tyres round? Are your calipers sticking? Are your pads close to worn out?

I've just saved a bloke a fortune on a Jag XKR. He'd been told he needed suspension work and 'new alloys!' by some garage or other after a judder at speed. He asked me to have a look, it needed discs & pads and a caliper freeing off.

You could smell it from 20 yards away and this is a 'full dealer service history' vehicle he's had for 6 months. The pads were on the metal on the offside!

Sit down with the car and a mug of hot tea. Check for wheel wobble, check for eggs on the tyres, check the brakes for blue discs. Be patient - the solution won't be far away.

luv'n'stuff

J

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers mate,

The wheels are only a few weeks old, and are aftermarket ones. The tyres have no eggs on them and are brand new.

Checked the disc's last weekend, along with pads and there was no blueing, or any visible warp. The pads have loads left on them i appears, hardly any wear at all. There is no smell coming from the brakes, they appear to be ok.

The only thing i havent checked since this post now, that i know of because of you guys is - track rod ends, bushes and dampers. Could bad tracking also cause this?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cheers mate,

The wheels are only a few weeks old, and are aftermarket ones. The tyres have no eggs on them and are brand new.

Checked the disc's last weekend, along with pads and there was no blueing, or any visible warp. The pads have loads left on them i appears, hardly any wear at all. There is no smell coming from the brakes, they appear to be ok.

The only thing i havent checked since this post now, that i know of because of you guys is - track rod ends, bushes and dampers. Could bad tracking also cause this?
    Bad tracking can cause this yes, also bear in mind worn track rod ends and or wishbone bushes will also throw your tracking out , if you take the car to a decent garage (not kwik fit etc) for tracking they should check this out anyway

Miserable old goat !
    Thanks
    Had the same happen on my S60 a while back,after numerous quotes for new brakes and suspension bits amounting to huge money it turned out the track rod ends and links where a little chewed up.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Good stuff i will be pestering some local garage this week/weekend i think!

Thanks again for all the input, i will let you know what it was, or if not found - be back on this post for sure.

Thanks

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm most suspicious of the 'brand new AFTERMARKET wheels'. You may need a micrometer to work this out but if the hole in the centre of your wheel is a poor fit on the spigot on the hub - and it only needs to be a couple of mm out - you will have all the problems that you are experiencing.

Most modern cars use the big hole in the centre of the wheel to keep the assembly centred on the hub - the wheel nuts just secure the wheel.

I could be wrong. In fact I'll be really pleased if I am. Perhaps you should contact the wheel supplier and check if the wheels are 'direct fit' or whether you need a 'centring ring' or 'spigot ring'. If these are missing or incorrect size you can balance the wheels and check the tracking until you are blue in the face, it won't make any difference.

Keep going - we'll get there.

J

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The wheels came with fitting rings for my car - to be honest, they made putting the wheels on a right ball ache, as they were that snug, it was a real job to get it on - but i suppose better that than loose

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok, got it sorted - are you ready to hear what it was??

Unbelievable, but its cured!!

Went to get them balanced for third time at lunch, but at different place, some of the wheels were off, but not loads, so this time the guy at this local garage showed me what he was doing, unlike High street one used last.

Then when he putting first wheel back on he noticed it was tight, which was good - but then he said its a little too tight, so he said, do i mind if he removes the brake disc securing bolt/stump - and as he started unbolting it was obviously bent, and wheel went on a lot better.

He reckons the bolt/stump was slightly too long for wheels, and therefore gave a snug tight fit, but held wheel out a few mm, and pressure also bent it - added together = wheel judder quite severely.

Removed all 4, blatted down motorway - smooth as silk

Such a little think, such a big impact - so maybe another cause for future reference, with cheap cure.

The End

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happygilmore78 For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Thursday 28th May 2009),MrMopp (Friday 29th May 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I call that a result. See? Told you we'd get there.

You can swap that mug of tea for a glass of scotch now.

luv'n'stuff

J

Thread Information