Join Today
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Cool new turbo... which one?

As i need a new turbo for my c70 me7, i want to up grade....
    Which one is the best to buy ( not for silly money). and ware from?
    Dose any one have any ideas?

oh dose any one no if my car will run without the cat? as i want to get rid of it when the stainless goes on next weekend,will it go in to limp mode or throw up lights on the dash? or is it best to put on a sport cat?

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    If you C70 is a T5 it will have a 16T with an angled flange that can give great power and performance with the right hardware and map. The key is to get it to breath better, your exhaust will be a good start.

If you remove your cat you will need your rear Lamda sensor values shunting to avoid the engine management light coming on, a good sports cat will flow enough for over 500BHP so removing it should not be necessary on most cars.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

jer,c70 (Tuesday 12th May 2009)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Depends on what your target BHP is and how big your pockets are.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i dont have deep pockets, but i like to go fast,
    the turbo on my car is stating to smoke and i am using a little oil. so it has to be replaced, but i dont no what the upgrade to mine is, i am booked in to long life for a full staineless with sports cat, this sat, but i dont want to map her till the turbo has been changed, so i need to no what i need to get and where i get it from......

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Best advice would be to look for a nearly new or new 19T. Very capable turbo - not much more laggy than the 16T and properly mapped will make your car go like stink. Bonus also is that they are direct bolt-on.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

jer,c70 (Saturday 16th May 2009)

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    theres brand new 19t turbos on ebay for £510 delivered
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO...Q5fAccessories
    Last edited by t5 pete; Wednesday 13th May 2009 at 11:48.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    stick with a 16T and get it to breathe as tim says, sort out the downpipe (3"), port the exhaust manifold, and get a decent map that can be upgraded as you mod further, you like speed...mod it right and these cars fly..would get the running gear sorted first though, no point having big bhp and it wont stop or handles like ****e...keep in touch with tim he realy does know alot about modding ...i have a 19T, and a s70 with a 16T and almost identical mods is only minor bhp/torque behind me...both of us 300bhp ++.....hth best of....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to volvolised For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Get the 16t rebuilt and port it at the same time, also get the later ME7 manifold or the 70r 2003> manifold and get that flowed, or you could get your 16t bored out to take the 18t wheel, a number of options that won't break the bank, you could do they above for less than a grand inc a MTE remap,

Gary
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

Some people hate to see you
    doing well. They are losers...
    Thanks
    don't bother with a map, you won't NEED one, as a lot of people think. Get a 19T, a late me7 manifold, and MBC, and a bigger throttle housing, with a rolling road setup, should see you hitting 275bhp minimum, I got 291bhp from that way of working it, without a remap, so it's definetly possible to have more power than a RICA on the standard map... I've proved that this week....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingFridgeMover View Post
    don't bother with a map, you won't NEED one, as a lot of people think. Get a 19T, a late me7 manifold, and MBC, and a bigger throttle housing, with a rolling road setup, should see you hitting 275bhp minimum, I got 291bhp from that way of working it, without a remap, so it's definetly possible to have more power than a RICA on the standard map... I've proved that this week....
    Cool - although I've seen (albeit very aggressively) mapped 16Ts hit 300bhp with a lot less work than you've done there! For my money I'd keep the 16T, port it maybe if you feel that way inclined, sort out the intake / exhaust and map the hell out of it, up to 280/290 maybe. Then when it dies you can buy another 16T for £150 on eBay and bolt it back on
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Al115 View Post
    Cool - although I've seen (albeit very aggressively) mapped 16Ts hit 300bhp with a lot less work than you've done there! For my money I'd keep the 16T, port it maybe if you feel that way inclined, sort out the intake / exhaust and map the hell out of it, up to 280/290 maybe. Then when it dies you can buy another 16T for £150 on eBay and bolt it back on
    Fair play, for sure, that's a way, but you're pushing the turbo and conrods to their limits, where I'm "chillin" at 15 psi, (just under 1.1 bar) well within the safety limits for the conrods, and the turbo.

Over a two year period I'd imagine you'd struggle to keep your total costs below mine (just under £800 all-in, for those intrested...)

.... and I'm on a standard exhaust and airbox....

Not sayin you're wrong, don't misunderstand me, we each do things our own way, but there's not been much said about doing things the way I have, it's all "remap-remap-remap", when, being fair, you don't have to, and you can get better results in some cases.... It's nice to have another option...

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingFridgeMover View Post

This should be entertaining......perhaps you can explain how you make an mbc work on an ME7 engine? In fact, whilst you're at it, how do you fit a larger throttle body to an ME7? Oh, and exactly how will the ME7 make use of a 19t without being mapped?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombatbomb View Post
    This should be entertaining......perhaps you can explain how you make an mbc work on an ME7 engine? In fact, whilst you're at it, how do you fit a larger throttle body to an ME7? Oh, and exactly how will the ME7 make use of a 19t without being mapped?
    as I've not got one, I know jack about ME7 engines, I'm confident enough to presume this is where I stop sounding like I'm even referencing ME7 engines... An ME7 manifold.. now I can talk about that, that seems to work just great... lol

oh and chill a bit... you're comin across a tad agressive there chap...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulZX For This Useful Post:

MrMopp (Thursday 14th May 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    So what you are saying that a 19t on Orange injectors with a MBC and standard ecu is fine? i think something will be knocking on your door soon Fridge, especially when the ambient temps drop, i wouldn't even think about a MBC with that set up a EBC maybe at least that will try and control the spikes,
    Good on ya for giving it a go though and saving some dosh, with no cableties in sight

Gary
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by siamblue View Post
    So what you are saying that a 19t on Orange injectors with a MBC and standard ecu is fine? i think something will be knocking on your door soon Fridge, especially when the ambient temps drop, i wouldn't even think about a MBC with that set up a EBC maybe at least that will try and control the spikes,
    Good on ya for giving it a go though and saving some dosh, with no cableties in sight

Gary
    Well, I'm within the safety limits for boost pressure and fuel pressure, and I am running 291 with a slipping clutch on 95 ron petrol, you do the figures... lol only time will tell if it is fine or not...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombatbomb View Post
    yeah ok, I didn't read the ME7 bit, and jumped in with two feet, but that's me, at least I'm eager and not the alternative, eh?

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volvolised View Post
    stick with a 16T and get it to breathe as tim says, sort out the downpipe (3"), port the exhaust manifold, and get a decent map that can be upgraded as you mod further, you like speed...mod it right and these cars fly..would get the running gear sorted first though, no point having big bhp and it wont stop or handles like ****e...keep in touch with tim he realy does know alot about modding ...i have a 19T, and a s70 with a 16T and almost identical mods is only minor bhp/torque behind me...both of us 300bhp ++.....hth best of....
    as he's having to replace the turbo anyway i'd certainly think of upgrading it whilst at it

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by siamblue View Post
    Mike at High-tech did have an issue with the boost at first, but that turned out to be the actuator having no pre-load (& the fact its a 15g actuator probably doesn't help). He did turn the fuel pressure upto max & with the 19T running 15psi said the fuelling was spot on

except for blowing the intercooler pipes off a couple of times it ran fine on the way home, pulling very strong & consistantly

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

PaulZX (Thursday 14th May 2009),siamblue (Thursday 14th May 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Can you post the dyno graph, so we can have a looksee? Does it have a afr/lamda plot on it? I can believe that you might be able to 'bodge it' so that it runs ok without a remap, but not in a million years is it ever going to be as powerful/safe/reliable without having a decent map.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    as he's having to replace the turbo anyway i'd certainly think of upgrading it whilst at it
    I'd agree if he wanted to buy a brand new turbo. You may as well spend the money on a 19t, price as a new 1i'm sure it's the same 6t. But on an ME7 car he WILL need a map to go with it. Later 16t's are easily available from volvo breakers for around the £100 - £150 mark. With the right mods, a 16t is much more impressive than people give it credit for.

Thread Information