Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S Singh View Post
    it is a d5
    I did the following in this order:

1. QBM strut bar conversion
    2. Powerflex wishbone bushes
    3. Powerflex top mount
    4. Powerflex tie bar

After 1. a bit more noisy but quite amusing, handled a lot better.

After 2. no difference in noise, straight line handling superb.

After 3. utterly unlivable with, a complete disaster on a D5 lasted a couple of days before I took it off and replaced with the new Volvo square mount.

After 4. far more vibration at idle but as I rarely sit in traffic, just about livable with but its starting to wear me ragged!

Maybe I should have let it bed in... no chance, felt and sounded like my old 70's school bus.

straight5
    This user has no status
    Is there anything to be said for leaving a T5 standard then? How much handling improvement is in people's minds? Does anyone have objective evidence that they go rounds corners much quicker? If so is it enough to be worth it for the loss of comfort?
    Im just playing devil's advocate because I am interested in whether its something I will want to do. I find I can sling it into corners pretty quick anyway, although I would like to be able to put the power down sooner etc. but how much better can you put the power down with FWD anyway? Would uprated shocks and springs be better for this?

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    I'm talking about my D5 not T5.

I've only done these mods after replacing my front shocks, springs were still good. New Bilstein B6 shocks made a HUGE difference to handling and comfort.

These are not exactly expensive modifications to make, we are not talking about £££. It is cheaper to powerflex a wishbone than buy new. QBM bar conversion can be blagged with washers for about 50p. Only powerflex the top mount when the original is knackered- if you don't get on with it sell it on.

Pay your money and press that gamble button, only you will be able to say its money well spent.

This user has no status

Thanks
    i think vibrations dying down, either that or i getting used to it! LOL

This user has no status

Thanks
    vibrations have died down alot, well worth it now! Thanks for everyones input.

This user has no status
    Thanks

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by S Singh View Post
    Ok, i have fitted all the bushes apart from right wishbone and front upper small mount. i can tell the difference alot. however the vibrations are awful. the wishbones didnt cause much difference (in vibration). the lower transmision/subframe mount and upper large mount i changed in the same go, and now the vibrations are imbearable. the whole car feels like a plane when it landing. is this normal when new? how long does it take to 'settle' in? the vibrations are almost gone at 1500 revs onwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by gazbak1 View Post
    when i fitted the top mount and gearbox bushes i had alot of vibration in the steering wheel but after a week back to normal.

thats on my 2.0t s60

HTH

gazbak1
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick View Post
    I did the following in this order:

1. QBM strut bar conversion
    2. Powerflex wishbone bushes
    3. Powerflex top mount
    4. Powerflex tie bar

After 1. a bit more noisy but quite amusing, handled a lot better.

After 2. no difference in noise, straight line handling superb.

After 3. utterly unlivable with, a complete disaster on a D5 lasted a couple of days before I took it off and replaced with the new Volvo square mount.

After 4. far more vibration at idle but as I rarely sit in traffic, just about livable with but its starting to wear me ragged!

Maybe I should have let it bed in... no chance, felt and sounded like my old 70's school bus.
    Sorry for the multiple quotes but I need some help....

My bus is in for various changes including the lower engine tie bar being Powerflexed (both large and small bushes). I've also done the cheap strut bar conversion trick to the engine stay bar but the main upper engine mount is an original Volvo part (new square version) changed under warranty at the end of 2007 and still looks OK.

I've just checked on progress and all is OK except that the garage is reporting bad engine vibration and asked if this was normal, OK, acceptable, etc. Not something they are used to seeing but I'm not sure if they have ever actually changed this componet before for Powerflex.

Looking at the previous posts it looks like others have experienced similar but it settled down. Is this still the case (in particular S.Singh and Redbrick)? How long (days and/or mileage) did it take it to settle down and is it still "acceptable", worse than an original Volvo rubber bushed item, better, worth it, etc?

I need my hand holding here
    Have I done the right thing?
    Last edited by RobbieH; Thursday 25th June 2009 at 21:33.

Don't let age define you. It's a number that's all.

04 V70 D5 EUIII SE (MTE remap, IPD arb's, Eibach Pros, TWR custom FMIC, UR front strut brace)

This user has no status
    Thanks

Unhappy

Anyone????

Picked up the car this evening after work and Jeez, does it vibrate. Even the door cards are rattlin'. This is not good.
    The gear change is much snappier and positive but the vibration just won't be bearable in the long run. The garage has another one lying around with original bushes that look OK. If this doesn't calm down over the next week or so, I'm changing back to the Volvo one.

04 V70 D5 EUIII SE (MTE remap, IPD arb's, Eibach Pros, TWR custom FMIC, UR front strut brace)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Robbie. The only thing I could suggest might be to slacken the fasteners, start the engine and retighten with the load of the engine thru' the bushes in question.

Who didi the work? Was it Howard Horwich?

J

9. The Following User Says Thank You to v70torslanda For This Useful Post:

RobbieH (Friday 26th June 2009)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Anyone????

Picked up the car this evening after work and Jeez, does it vibrate. Even the door cards are rattlin'. This is not good.
    The gear change is much snappier and positive but the vibration just won't be bearable in the long run. The garage has another one lying around with original bushes that look OK. If this doesn't calm down over the next week or so, I'm changing back to the Volvo one.
    I would give it 2 weeks or so depending on how much mileage you do. They do die down after a while and it should be ok. if not just change it back in a few weeks. I am thinking about changing my top mount to a volvo square one because although it settles down,it is can be annoying in start/stop traffic.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to S Singh For This Useful Post:

RobbieH (Friday 26th June 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by v70torslanda View Post
    Hi Robbie. The only thing I could suggest might be to slacken the fasteners, start the engine and retighten with the load of the engine thru' the bushes in question.

Who didi the work? Was it Howard Horwich?

J
    Hi John,

Yes, Howard is my local indy. Literally only 10 minutes away from home. I'll give him a ring and pass on the tip (if he's not already tried it).

R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Any news?

Got some piccies to post a little later.

Waiting for the coating to dry on the latest batch of 'bones!

luv'n'stuff

J

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by v70torslanda View Post
    Any news?

Got some piccies to post a little later.

Waiting for the coating to dry on the latest batch of 'bones!

luv'n'stuff

J
    Proper info to follow as soon as I can. Hole opened up in the road outside the house this evening - collapsed sewer we think. Oh fun and games.
    And I'm organising a cycle race tomorrow so busy but will get the chance to try out new boingy bits, etc charging around signposting the course, etc. And I'm riding in the event as well, first rider off!

Oh yeh, got a set of 'bones for you.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Where is your event?

Going to Notts tomorrow to see Dave and Chris but may be able to call in the evening if you ain't too knackered . . .

J

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    The tie bar drone will not calm down but it only does it when I'm stationary. As I said before I don't sit in traffic so it doesn't bother me as I'm constantly moving. If my commuting routine changed to include traffic it would be off the next day. lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick View Post
    The tie bar drone will not calm down but it only does it when I'm stationary. As I said before I don't sit in traffic so it doesn't bother me as I'm constantly moving. If my commuting routine changed to include traffic it would be off the next day. lol
    "Drone" is OK I guess but a vibration that sets off the headrests, door cards and anything loose to sound like a bucket of loose bolts is too much. Saying that, at driving speed or anything over 1000rpm it's OK and the gearchange is much improved. I'll give a bit longer to see how it behaves.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've been reading this thread with great interest. I reckon I'll Powerflex the lower transmission mount but replace the upper tie bar and top mount with standard Volvo. I'm also going to add a separate strut brace rather than adapt the engine brace bar which will stiffen the suspension mountings without additional engine vibration onto the cabin.

I realise a petrol engine will be smoother at tick over, but as we have said on other threads, these cars are long distance family load luggers not B Road weapons.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've been reading this thread with great interest. I reckon I'll Powerflex the lower transmission mount but replace the upper tie bar and top mount with standard Volvo. I'm also going to add a separate strut brace rather than adapt the engine brace bar which will stiffen the suspension mountings without additional engine vibration onto the cabin.

I realise a petrol engine will be smoother at tick over, but as we have said on other threads, these cars are long distance family load luggers not B Road weapons.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I vaguely remember coming across a link/website that offered powerflex wishbone bushes which were already assembled for a certain price. Does anyone have any idea about this?

The thing is I don’t have access to the tools required to do the powerflex wishbone job but am suffering from wandering steering, steering wobble and tramlining, so would like to get this upgrade done.

Would DPA Nottingham do such a job? As I have seen on other threads that garages aren’t too keen on this type of work (the burning, chiselling, hammering etc)

If you can buy the bushes with the polyflex ready to fit I wouldn’t mind doing that either. Or if someone offers this kind of service on here?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Contact v70torslanda on this forum, he did mine, and mighty fine they are too.

Dave at DPA is none too keen on doing such things (he tells me) as it's time consuming and at £55 or so an hour ain't cheap. Contact John, he might be able to sort you out...
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cornclose View Post
    Contact v70torslanda on this forum, he did mine, and mighty fine they are too.

Dave at DPA is none too keen on doing such things (he tells me) as it's time consuming and at £55 or so an hour ain't cheap. Contact John, he might be able to sort you out...
    +1 for V70T. Sorted mine out as well and I'm happy. Just got to get the old ones back to him in exchange.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieH For This Useful Post:

dave stew (Saturday 4th July 2009)

Thread Information