Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Unhappy boost controller and gauge fitting,

Hi,

Today i fitted a boost controller. I'm not sure if its all plumbed in ok as its does not seem ok. Does anyone have any pictures of how and where the boost controller pipe should go. If it's fitted ok then there must be a problem as there's not as much boost on the old turbo display( only goes about 6 mm into the white) and the gauge is now only showing 6psi which is less then before. Before the bits were put on the old gauge used to go halfway, now only goes half that.

Many thanks for reading this and i hope i/we can sort this out.

Cheers Dave

I can post pictures of my ( mess ) work.

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Right on boost controller
    Red = turbo compressor housing
    Yellow = acuator
    Blue= the pipe from the air box leading to the turbo

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    Right on boost controller
    Red = turbo compressor housing
    Yellow = acuator
    Blue= the pipe from the air box leading to the turbo
    blue= still on the airbox.

Yellow= goes from the turbo to the gauge then to the controller.

red=to the controller as well.

is this right?????

dave

This user has no status

Thanks
    I think you'll find the gauge is reading 0 and fluctuating very slightly. To record boost only, you want it hooked up to the red one (assuming the colour codes are as per the S/V40 and it sounds like they are.

Ideally the boost gauge should hook into a vacuum line (?) from the inlet manifold to the turbo, so it will record vac and boost.

Also don't forget the controller is adjustable. Screw in for more boost, having checked the gauge is plumbed in properly first!
    Last edited by daveforber; Wednesday 29th April 2009 at 23:41.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 850 t5 vs 600cc View Post
    Today i fitted a boost controller. I'm not sure if its all plumbed in ok as its does not seem ok. Does anyone have any pictures of how and where the boost controller pipe should go. If it's fitted ok then there must be a problem as there's not as much boost on the old turbo display( only goes about 6 mm into the white) and the gauge is now only showing 6psi which is less then before. Before the bits were put on the old gauge used to go halfway, now only goes half that.
    i've got a few question i'm afraid.

1, is the boost controller a MBC or a bleed valve? = A MBC is alot better than a bleed valve & would only bother with the MBC tbh. A bleed valve normally has 3 outlets while a MBC only has 2 (& a bleed valve will always let air thru, an MBC will block the air & not let it pass at low levels)

2, is it a good make? i've heard quite good reports about the R-spec (thats the manufacture) MBC's

3, if it is an MBC the inlet should be connected to the turbo housing (red), the outlet of the MBC should be conneccted to the actuactor (yellow) & the BCS to air intake hose should be blocked. I would also plimb the boost gauge into the vac tree instead of onto the turbo. You will still need to keep the original BCS (boost control solenoid) but shouldn't have any pipes on it now, it just kept plugged into to the ECU to keep it happy

4, as already said, is it adjusted right. Even running stock boost a correctly a MBC should be making enough of a difference to put a smile on your face

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Ive got the exact same problem, im running a Turbosmart style mbc, and autogauges bar gauge.
    And seem to be getting less than standard boost even with the mbc screw all the way up.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDYRACER View Post
    Ive got the exact same problem, im running a Turbosmart style mbc, and autogauges bar gauge.
    And seem to be getting less than standard boost even with the mbc screw all the way up.
    I've got the same as you, i'm think of checking / trying the setup above and see what happens. The controller is turn all the way up and i have less then before.

Dave

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDYRACER View Post
    You mean all the way in?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just completed mine and sorted out the problems and leaks. Mine just maxes out at 1 BAR. I think this is too much, what couls go wrong with it.........

Happy but worried,

Dave

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Just completed mine and sorted out the problems and leaks. Mine just maxes out at 1 BAR. I think this is too much, what couls go wrong with it.........
    13psi is considered safe on the standard ECU & injectors. There are many things that could happen tbh, i've been bypassing the standard ECU control of the boost for about 6years with no problem. I'd turn it down a bit just to be safe anyway

This user has no status

Thanks

Happy but worried,

Dave
    1 bar is 14.5 psi, so if 13 psi is regarded as safe, I'd turn it down to 13 psi (which is 0.89 bar).

In terms of what could go wrong, it's all expensive. What you're doing is turning up the boost, so there's more air going into the engine. Consequently, the ECU has to put more fuel in to compensate. The problem is where the ECU runs out of data or the pump or injectors run out of capacity.

What happens then is the air is still going in, but not enough fuel (i.e. it runs lean). With more air and less fuel, the mixture burns hotter (as it does in a coal fire when you blow on it). The hot mixture can then cause a number of problems. Initially it'll be detonating, which is when the fuel ignites before it should. If it gets too hot, you'll end up melting something - the catalytic converter or the pistons, or both.

However you ought to be safe within the 'safe' limits.

If you want to go beyond them, get an air/fuel gauge and possibly an exhaust gas temperature meter for comfort, and see a tuner for ECU and other possibly necessary upgrades (e.g. injectors, pump, etc.).

Though as has been said, an MBC is safe if you stick within the 'safe' limits and use a reliable boost gauge. Obviously you're responsible for your own engine...

Thread Information