Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Mist on windscreen

Hi all had my v70t5 for a few days, took it for a good run yesterday and noticed the smell of water, a few minutes later the passenger side windscreen started steaming up, any ideas?, i looked under the bonnet and cannot see any leaks.

Thanks

This user has no status

Thanks
    Time for a heater matrix i'm afraid....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Oh lovely...

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Yeah defo heater matrix, however, it's not that bad of a job, you can change it without removing the dash.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Yeah defo heater matrix, however, it's not that bad of a job, you can change it without removing the dash.
    Ahh thats what i wanted to hear... i have heard so many stories about how much of a pain it is to replace, i didnt fancy taking half the dash out, as i know for a fact if i tried putting it back i would have needed sellotape lol.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yep, it's not that bad a job, even I managed to do that one on mine when I first bought it.
    Couldn't see a f@cking thing and had to drive around with windows down which was unpleasant, as it was in November!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Mine did that and it turned out to be the pollen filter that needed changing. Been perfect ever since.

Worth a look?
    V70 T5 P2 2001

RICA UPGRADE
    KONI FSD SHOCKS
    EIBACH SPRINGS
    POLY TOP MOUNT
    18" NEBULA'S

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My Audi A4 done that years ago, it was only 5 years old and i ended up with a bill for £650 and a silly A2 for a week.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My heater matrix went on mine but luckily it was still under warranty. With mine though I wasn't sure why it was steaming up until a mechanic mate asked me if there was a curryish smell. That's the antifreeze apparently. Don't know if yours has the same smell

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yeh mine smells, to be honest though i havent found any wet patches in the footwells, but when i turn the heater on it STINKS, its ok on cold air, just when i use hot air i gotta stick my head out the window to see

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Honestly that was almost the exact symptoms mine had except mine did it all the time but much worse when heater was on and it was the pollen filter. Russ at RT's said it looked like it had never been changed. It solved it straight away. Its worth a check at least, as the pollen filter is cheaper than a heater matrix!
    V70 T5 P2 2001

RICA UPGRADE
    KONI FSD SHOCKS
    EIBACH SPRINGS
    POLY TOP MOUNT
    18" NEBULA'S

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mikouk For This Useful Post:

kyboy (Tuesday 3rd July 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikouk View Post
    Honestly that was almost the exact symptoms mine had except mine did it all the time but much worse when heater was on and it was the pollen filter. Russ at RT's said it looked like it had never been changed. It solved it straight away. Its worth a check at least, as the pollen filter is cheaper than a heater matrix!
    Just checked the pollen filter its brand new, so i thought i would take up the passenger side carpet, when i removed the black plastic panel behind the carpet to access the matrix i got splashed in water and coolant so i guess its deffo the matrix at fault

This user has no status

Thanks
    Don;t worry too much. They are not bad at all to do. Mostly a nut and bolt job, abit fiddley to remove the hoses in the engine bay bulk head. Keep washing your hands so you dont get grubby paw prints on the lower trim and carpets.

If you are at all able- blow the remaining water out of the matrix- as when you undo the pipes inside the car you will get ~2l in the footwell which is a nightmare to dry out especially with antifreeze in it!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to timbo_1975 For This Useful Post:

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Make sure when you pull the hoses out of the clips on the bukhead that you catch all the plastic and rubber washers that are on the tubes, I thnk there's two plastic and two rubber on each pipe. If you loose any then you won't be able to re seal them without buying new ones.

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Make sure when you pull the hoses out of the clips on the bukhead that you catch all the plastic and rubber washers that are on the tubes, I thnk there's two plastic and two rubber on each pipe. If you loose any then you won't be able to re seal them without buying new ones.
    Good idea to get some O rings too. The Vovo ones are king expensive. You can buy a whole multi pack for about £6 in Aldi or Wickes or B&Q. You can throw the rest away if you want and still be quids in, but if yours is damaged in the process you will need to replace it. I put a squidge of LSX around mine too to be on the safe side. You cannt really see if you get a leak untill its made a big mess - as you know already ;>))) Did mine ages ago - same symptoms.

Good luck.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Had the same symptoms recently, heater matrix was the culprit. I was told this is one of the common problems the the V70 ?!

This user has no status

Thanks
    The Genuine O rings are only about £1 each from Volvo, and certainly better than risking some inferior Aldi ones to give up prematurely and spurt coolant all around without warning... They are also square in section, not round, or at least mine were...

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    You'll probably find that they've gone square over time, I think they're meant to be round.

Previous cars:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi im having the same problem mist on all the windows, ive also noticed the the REC and A/C lights start to flash on the dash board sometimes and also a funny smell when temp is turn up and the drivers side foot well is alittle damp/wet can anyone help

hi there just noticed that the radiator cap has quite a few cracks in it and it split from one side
    Last edited by Bash's 850 R; Tuesday 29th September 2009 at 22:21.

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bash's 850 R View Post
    Hi im having the same problem mist on all the windows, ive also noticed the the REC and A/C lights start to flash on the dash board sometimes and also a funny smell when temp is turn up and the drivers side foot well is alittle damp/wet can anyone help
    Could be two issues here. The flashing lights are a warning that there is insufficent refrigerant in the aircon - probably needs a regas (at least I hope it's just a regas). Footwell water: heater matrix, or could be a leak from almost anywhere - if you have an R assume it has sunroof so check the drainage channel is clear.
    I know a good mobile aircon company if you are in SE London or north Kent. They did a great diagnostic and aircon clutch fix for not too many quid on my T5 a year or three back. In my experience 850 seem to need a regas every two to three years no matter what you do
    Last edited by Flatout Phil; Monday 28th September 2009 at 12:13.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flatout Phil For This Useful Post:

Bash's 850 R (Monday 28th September 2009),kyboy (Tuesday 3rd July 2012)

Thread Information