Join Today
    Singing in the rain!
    Thanks

anybody bought these brakes on ebay?

Hi all,
    I have just been doing the spring clean to the brakes on my car and the discs are about shot from the salt on the roads over the winter!
    I am really strapped for money at the mo' so I have been scouring ebay for a deal on discs and pads, and these came up.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-S40-V40-...1%7C240%3A1318

Has anybody bought them before, if so what were they like?

I would appreciate any input.

cheers
    "I am never wrong! Just in a position to learn something new!"
    Mods so far, HLM ReMap, Goodridge brake lines, Eibach springs lowering 35mm, K&N57i filter with cold air, Strut brace, Shark fin aerial, Boost guage
    YES IT'S A DIESEL
    Wish list, BOV, 18" rims, Struts, Stainless exhaust, Injector Upgrade, MORE POWER!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Wouldn't it be worth keeping the current ones on for a few months more until you can afford decent brakes, rather than risking it with a set of debatable quality? Maybe not an option but I'd do that if I could.
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

This user has no status

Thanks
    In my rather stupid and uneducated way, I would have thought you would be OK with the discs? Are they not just round flat lumps of steel?

The pads on the other hand are the bit that makes the friction. And are more easily changed if they're, well, ****.

I could obviously be wrong here.

Singing in the rain!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveforber View Post
    In my rather stupid and uneducated way, I would have thought you would be OK with the discs? Are they not just round flat lumps of steel?

The pads on the other hand are the bit that makes the friction. And are more easily changed if they're, well, ****.

I could obviously be wrong here.
    Thanks for your opinions guys, but I have a one year old babby and a pregnant wife in the car quite often so safety is paramount in my mind. I would normally be happy with a generic make from a motorfacors ie bluepoint, delphi etc.. but I don't have the cash. the discs are shot and if the ones on ebay are made poorly they could be just as bad (even when new). I can't use the old discs or pads, because they have bedded together and need to be replaced as a set. And as the main safety factor in any vehicle (In My Opinion) I was just wondering if the stuff I linked to are decent.
    "I am never wrong! Just in a position to learn something new!"
    Mods so far, HLM ReMap, Goodridge brake lines, Eibach springs lowering 35mm, K&N57i filter with cold air, Strut brace, Shark fin aerial, Boost guage
    YES IT'S A DIESEL
    Wish list, BOV, 18" rims, Struts, Stainless exhaust, Injector Upgrade, MORE POWER!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Without a make it's difficult to tell. Mintex is a respectable make and not too much more expensive http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-S40-V40-...mZ320323979263

Others here on brake threads have used the Mintex boxes if I recall correctly, and haven't reported badly.

This user has no status

Thanks

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i brought some mintex pads and disks for my v40 off ebay getting on for a year ago now i suppose.. for the money i think they are great..

I read a few posts saying people had trouble with them squealing.. i found they were fine for the first few days bedding in then they started to squeal a bit.. that didn't last long and they have been great ever since! good stopping power and a bargain for the money IMO and i would buy them again..

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    If you decide to go for genuine discs and pads I will do my best to undercut any Ebay price at least 20%

Thread Information