Join Today

Thread: Spewing oil

This user has no status
    Thanks

Spewing oil

not very sure where from though...

car has always had a slight oil leak, lost about 1litre / 1000 miles so never really bothered me, towed our caravan down to yorkshire this morning an after 150 miles it had lost 1.5 litres, I know this as I topped it off last night before heading off this morning and most of it was spread across the front of the van

subsequent 100 miles used a further litre, appears to originate on the inlet side, PCV thingie?

suggestions?

This user has no status

Thanks
    no idea mate but sorry to hear your having problems
    1991 retro alfa romeo 75

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'll be watching this post with an eager eye, as i seem to have the same problem! Now having to place a piece of cardboard on the driveway to stop the better 1/2 moaning!
    Gotta find summat to hold the cardboard down with too...... as you can see i got a pretty steep drive!
    It's a ROCKET PROPELLED ARMCHAIR, and I LOVE IT
    Current mods :ZTRONS cd/dvd touchscreen headunit, Clear side repeaters, Zenon effect headlamp bulbs, Equus turbo boost guage, Front strut brace, R-SPEC MBC, NGK Iridium 10 plugs, 40mm lowered springs, Powerflow 3' stainless steel cat back exhaust ending in a 4' outwardly rolled tailpipe ("Volvo's....... Theyre boxy, but theyre good")

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 888dee View Post
    not very sure where from though...

car has always had a slight oil leak, lost about 1litre / 1000 miles so never really bothered me, towed our caravan down to yorkshire this morning an after 150 miles it had lost 1.5 litres, I know this as I topped it off last night before heading off this morning and most of it was spread across the front of the van

subsequent 100 miles used a further litre, appears to originate on the inlet side, PCV thingie?

suggestions?
    pcv past it's sell by date can certainly increase loss of oil, ultimately it can blow the rear crankshaft seal (expensive) the pcv pipes seem to become brittle with age and break can cause gunge n oil n such to leak where you dont want it, towing clearly engine working harder likely gonna be chucking more oil out. you dont know when pcv was done? bits are about £70 plus fitting. done one of mine the other day ;-/ done the other one last year.
    not a terrible job fiddlyish do able easy in a day even if you aint super spanners.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    have you taken the dipstick out and had a look while its running? sort of clouds smokey stuff out of it.

also i took my spark plug cover off and had oil pooling on top, seems to be because the pcv has increased the pressure and its leaking out the filler cap onto top, worth a look for as long as it takes to do.. gonna get a new cap seal when ordering pcv stuff tomorrow.
    1996 850 T5r, RICA 304, samco radiator, vac lines and boost hoses, powerflex bushes on wishbones and top engine mount, cross drilled and grooved discs, HID's, V70 rear lights, K&N panel in slightly drilled box, powerflex anti roll bar bushes, xc90 spring mounts stage 0, 200,300 miles

Some people hate to see you
    doing well. They are losers...
    Thanks
    new seal for the oil cap from volvo inc vat cost me £2.08 last week...

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just a quickie,I had a bad leak recently,and it turned out to be the oil seal behind the cam timing sensor[on the top right hand side,looking from front].there's a small hole to allow oil out should it leak, and its well hidden to boot,might be worth a look,good hunting!!!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    haven't looked yet as the car hasn't been moved today... only a very small oil mark on the ground under it and defo on the inlet side of the engine.

maybe go have a look later as it's just football on the telly

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 888dee View Post
    haven't looked yet as the car hasn't been moved today... only a very small oil mark on the ground under it and defo on the inlet side of the engine.

maybe go have a look later as it's just football on the telly
    there is a renewable for pennies seal on the bottom of dipstick tube

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Check the oil return pipe from the turbo, easy to see if you can get under the car, pulling the caravan would make it leak more because using the turbo more. Only a gasket on top and a o ring seal on the bottom to push in easy job but quite common had them go on both my 850's

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamest5r View Post
    Check the oil return pipe from the turbo, easy to see if you can get under the car, pulling the caravan would make it leak more because using the turbo more. Only a gasket on top and a o ring seal on the bottom to push in easy job but quite common had them go on both my 850's
    Yeah, i'd check the oil return pipe as well. The only problem with our AWDs is that the angle gear sits right in the way of the access to the oil pipe. So its a bugger of a job to do.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    well drove back up the road today, kept the revs down and away from the boost (bloody hell that was fun ) and didn't loose any oil at all, which is a minor relief, I didn't tell you I had to buy 5 litres of oil at annandale services, have to confess to buying 10w40 mineral as just could stomach the price of the semi-synthetic, even at that it was still £26 for 5litres, yes you read right £26, thieving barstewards....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamest5r View Post
    i had the same problem,, done mine in about half hour and costs about 3 quid for the seal and gasket from dealers good luck mate,,,,,

New Identity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5lover View Post
    done mine in about half hour
    Here be the angle gear on the AWD (this is a newer awd car, but its pretty much the same), and as you can see its right in the way of the turbo and oil pipes. Makes it almost impossible (took me about 3 hours, and even then it wasn't fitted properly)

Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Sunday 19th April 2009 at 01:15.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    that looks easy to do mate lol NOT,, should only take about day to fix lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    balls, thanks bomb, gonna get my alfa back on the road before starting on this...

New Identity
    Thanks
    Mines spewing oil out the bottom again, though I don't think its the turbo return oil seal, as I replaced it when I did my clutch last year. My PCV is shagged as well. Its all on the list when funding becomes available LOL.

Thread Information