Join Today

Thread: Gutted

This user has no status
    Thanks

Gutted

Well folks my t5 has just started rattling her big ends big time!!!I was stuck for oil last week and stupidly put 5/30 in it.(from min o dipstick),tappets were a tad noisy last night so today i went to top it up and it was showing nothing on dipstick.I put 10/40 in it and thought thats her sorted,how wrong was i! I went for a blast a few miles out of town and all was sound.On my way back i was pottering with radio on,car in front was in no hurry so as i dropped a few cogs to overtake the rattle drowned out the radio.(sinking feeling in belly) Pulled over and shut it off,phoned a mate for a tow home and we both came to the conclusion that shes goosed!must have been rattling for a good few miles.My mate couldnt get over how chilled out i was about my pride and joy been goosed,i on the other hand was imagining her coming back to life with a few more upgrades.Just starting my old job back tmrw,so the funds are going to be there to throw at it.Got a loan on the way for an M5 to keep me entertained until volvo is fixed,so thats putting a smile on my face also.If anyone knows where i could get a block from,please let us know or a cheap t5 thats up in Scotland.Ah well,on foot for a few weeks.exercise will do me good,Cheers Paul..

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    So a story that started off as bad news actually turned into good news as it has given you the excuse you need to get her modded!

Im not sure the fact that you put the 5w30 in was what caused the problem, more the fact that the engine was extremely low in the first place?

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Ah bad luck matey

Heres a couple of linkys to people breaking T5's

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-850-T5-T...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-T5-E...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-850-T5-1...1%7C240%3A1318

Or on the other hand theres always Adam @ Readviews in Accrington, im pretty sure he'd courier you an engine give him a call on 01254234382.

Hope you get sorted soon mate

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    OMG! Gutted isnt the word m8y however take a look at these....... might cheer ya up a bit????????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-Volvo-850...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BREAKING-VOLVO...1%7C240%3A1318

Hope that helps........

Regards

John
    It's a ROCKET PROPELLED ARMCHAIR, and I LOVE IT
    Current mods :ZTRONS cd/dvd touchscreen headunit, Clear side repeaters, Zenon effect headlamp bulbs, Equus turbo boost guage, Front strut brace, R-SPEC MBC, NGK Iridium 10 plugs, 40mm lowered springs, Powerflow 3' stainless steel cat back exhaust ending in a 4' outwardly rolled tailpipe ("Volvo's....... Theyre boxy, but theyre good")

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Johnny that second linky mate the cars done mega miles

I was going to have the cat of it before he told me.

Be best to leave well alone

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

Some people hate to see you
    doing well. They are losers...
    Thanks
    everything happens for a reason bud.... get some good con rods, and the worlds yer oyster....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for the links guys,theres two i will defo be enquiring about(the 250 and 195 ones).The 5/30 was like water i thought when i put it in and i noticed the other day on idle it was smoking bad when i was hitching a trailor up.I thought it was the turbo on its way out,i know now the oil was that thin it was munching it.Sump of tmrw to inspect crank,but i am very doubtfull!

My pal has a 95 wrx that did hold me off even with the mte,so the next time we meet up i am taking no prisoners.LOL The Job i am starting is very well paid for where i live so,its uprated rods,19t,paddle clutch,exhaust,and custom map. I had the engine out last Feb,splashed a 1000 at the car.Didnt expect to be taking it out so soon again,but hey its the joy of motoring i say.Paul..

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    If your getting an m5, why bother with the Volvo?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thats a good question,the t5 is going to be with me until the day i can no longer get parts or the day i cannot get an mot due to tinworm!The M5 will be my 2nd car,as everyday use up on the roads where i live would knock the life out of it.Plus my work parking area is like the goby desert,the M5 will be fun i have no doubt about that.But the t5 is the workhorse,its got the shinest towball i have ever seen as it pulls a trailor around reguarly.More space in the back than an M5 and more stealthier,going to try and tune the t5 to keep up with the M5 me thinks.I have six weeks before the M5 arrives,that will give me time to get the t5 sorted hopefully.Paul...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to polredt5 For This Useful Post:

PaulZX (Monday 6th April 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks

Smile Gutted has me thinking now ?????

After reading this im serioulsy concerned about what grade oil I need for my next service???????????
    My T5 has covered 146.000miles, there seems to be much debate over what grade of oil to use, so im asking the question B4 i go get the service kit!
    John
    It's a ROCKET PROPELLED ARMCHAIR, and I LOVE IT
    Current mods :ZTRONS cd/dvd touchscreen headunit, Clear side repeaters, Zenon effect headlamp bulbs, Equus turbo boost guage, Front strut brace, R-SPEC MBC, NGK Iridium 10 plugs, 40mm lowered springs, Powerflow 3' stainless steel cat back exhaust ending in a 4' outwardly rolled tailpipe ("Volvo's....... Theyre boxy, but theyre good")

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks

Smile

15/40 semi synthetic is a good compromise.

Thread Information