Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Removal of spare wheel well in old skool 940

wanting to remove the spare wheel well in a bid to remove weight and allow for a twin exhaust system.

the 'worries' if you wish would be:

1. removing such a large mass from under the car - it would alter the aerodynamics of it, and handling - possibly leading to a stiffer sway bar. the introduction of some sort of aerofoil, like on the back of touring cars, to the underside between the exhausts, would be needed?

2. removing it would then put stress on the rest of the body work if i left the steel plate replacnig it un-braced. obviously giving it beans on the track would put stress and strain on it, so thats probably answering my own question, but seconds would be appreciated!

can anyone offer advice or have own opinions?

Matt

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i did think about doing this to my 850 & replacing the boot floor with a sheet of carbon fibre, think it might need some form of metal bracing but can't see why it can't be done

This user has no status
    Thanks
    carbon fibre, that'd be a bit expensive! i guess with the correct bracing accross the boot area it could be done ... much in the same way strut braces improve the overall feel of the car...

i would expect to weld a sheet of same gauge accross which is fine with the bracing ... that i am not really concerned, more of the effect on the handling because of the extra space that has been left by removing such a large mass which would have been a retard effect on the air travelling under the car, though the exhaust hanging down below and the latter addition of a body kit could help...

This user has no status
    Thanks

if you weld a panel across the hole then it shouldnt make any diffrence,as stated before then you could fit some kind of brace on the rear just to help it,wont make much diffrence tho as the length of the car will have some twist in it if you throw it around lol.
    aerodynamics isnt anything you need to worry about in a car that weighs over a ton & shaped like a wardrobe....its a volvo thing lol.& wouldnt having one exhaust be lighter than two.....
    Last edited by t5 stealth; Wednesday 1st April 2009 at 21:30.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hahah wardrobe lol my 940 is less wardrobe then my 740! and no, 2 exhausts is lighter than 1 ... in my world at least!

but cheers for your help peoples!

This user has no status
    Thanks

Smile

Im not sure chopping about boot floors is a good idea, they add structural strength. If you notice floor pans in general are pressed to be ribbed or corrigated to add strength and stop twisting and flexing, they are not flat panels. You will cause more problems than its worth, have you thought of changing your car to an Aerial Atom!
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yes but its not a volvo ...

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    I would think it will be safe if you fit a steel plate the same thicknes as the floor and brace it but how much weight are you hopeing to save my this because you will gain the weight in bracing

This user has no status
    Thanks
    its more of so i can fit the exhaust in easier. rad has been moved to the boot aswell.

Thread Information