Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

What spec? GLT GLE ?

Whilst getting quotes together for my insurance renewal I have had an interesting conversation with somebody at Chris Knott about the spec level of my T5! My log book shows my car as being aT5 GLT, the two HPI style checks that were done on it when I bought it show it as a T5 GLT. But according to the system at Chris Knott, Volvo didn't do an automatic T5 GLT! The only way to get it as an automatic is to say it is a GLE. Despite my attempts to say that the GLT/GLE part refers to trim level and the important bit is that it is a T5, the only way for them to proceed is to say that it is a GLT with a note to the underwriters that its got an auto box!! Knowing how insurance companies try to get out of paying up I am a bit reticent to go ahead on this basis even though they have said this is OK. The quote was only £6 cheaper than my existing company though they did halve the excess.

What do you lot think???

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Frank Squiff View Post
    Whilst getting quotes together for my insurance renewal I have had an interesting conversation with somebody at Chris Knott about the spec level of my T5! My log book shows my car as being aT5 GLT, the two HPI style checks that were done on it when I bought it show it as a T5 GLT. But according to the system at Chris Knott, Volvo didn't do an automatic T5 GLT! The only way to get it as an automatic is to say it is a GLE. Despite my attempts to say that the GLT/GLE part refers to trim level and the important bit is that it is a T5, the only way for them to proceed is to say that it is a GLT with a note to the underwriters that its got an auto box!! Knowing how insurance companies try to get out of paying up I am a bit reticent to go ahead on this basis even though they have said this is OK. The quote was only £6 cheaper than my existing company though they did halve the excess.

What do you lot think???

tis true insurance companies dont need much of an excuse to duck out of paying up.
    i indeed have both of these vehicles and indeed my glt is manual and the gle is auto. but as you i was lead to beleive gle/glt refered to the level of trim, for instance my glt manual does not have a sunroof and the gle does. maybe it was changed to auto by a previous owner?? cant imagine why i hate bleedin autos (when they go wrong) and mine did big style.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure that is wrong.

As has been said, GLT, GLE, SE, CD, etc are just levels of trim, but I'm sure anything was available as an option on any of the specs, I've seen a few GLT's with almost CD spec if you get me.

I'd go with what it says on the V5 as backup, although that's not to say that DVLA always get it right. We bought an imported Toyota Celica once that had the V5 down as some sort of 125cc scooter!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have a GLT T5 auto which has a/c, full leather and sunroof, i thought GLT was just trim level (which could be upgraded with factory options), some GLT (bottom of the range) have equal spec to higher spec models.
    I am with Admiral and when i had my insurance certificate through my t5 has been classed as 2.5L GLT auto T5, which there is no such thing as a 2.5 T5. I have questioned this with Admiral and they say its correct as they have used my vechicle reg to identify the car. I think this may be a similar problem as above, they dont recognise a GLT T5 auto!!! So its still down on the certificate as a T5 auto GLT but with a 2.5L engine, and this is coming up to the 3rd year soon that this has happened and is still not correct.
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

This user has no status
    Thanks
    For everyone's info the car has got full leather, climate control, electric drivers seat, cruise control, wood trim dash, electric windows front & back, 6CD player, SC 800 radio/casette player and Volvoguard 11 alarm/immobiliser with glass break sensor.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As we say though mate, without seeing the original bill of sale, that could be a GLT that had almost every option box ticked. Although the spec does read pretty similar to a CD (or GLE depending on age, that was top spec before CD was introduced), and you'd think it would work out cheaper to buy a CD from new.

Only thing that a CD would have as standard over that would be trip computer iirc.

What age is it? It could be a GLE. The DVLA do get things wrong as I say, and all the HPI checks, etc get their model info from DVLA.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The car was registered in October 1995 but is a 1996 model year if that helps at all!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    OK, I think CD was part of spec range by then.

I shouldn't worry too much, as I say, if you ever needed to make a claim and were worried, you have your V5 as proof.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Mine is a 1995 T5 GLE. Spec is Auto, Full cream leather, Climate, Premium sound system etc etc

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    I've been trying to work out volvo spec's, mines an 'S' but it has full leather (in blue! ) cruise control, climate, premium sounds, and 4 electric windows and trip computer. Only extra I know is a passenger airbag.

Has somebody been ticking the boxes, or is this normal trim level?

Thread Information