Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Anyone heard of a bent throttle body on a 70 series?

Going to look at an 850 T5 in the morning, but just having a quick look around and saw a nice looking V70 in the same area.

I phoned the guy about the car, to see what he wanted for it, not a lot as it goes.

The car has not MOT or tax, and needs (in his words) the osf top mount looking at as it rattles, a new throttle body and new window wipers.

The car looks pretty good other than that, fsh, 144k, '98 S.

When I asked about the 'bent' tb (getting a little worried about how it could've happened) he told me he was driving the car hard, hit the limiter and then lost power. A garage told him (again, in his words) that due to hitting ignition cut and fuel building up, a reed valve was bent.

Firstly, I was under the impression fuel is cut at limiter? Secondly, a reed valve? Aren't they in motorbike carbs/tb's?

Is it more likely that the car is actually in limp mode? i asked if the car started and he said it drives fine but won't go above 20mph.

I was tempted at the price and general look/condition of the car, but it sounds like he doesn't know a lot about it, and the tb problem is not likely to be the fault. No picture of engine bay so don't know if it's ETM.

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    What year was the car also how much was he wanting for it

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It's a '98 S, says registered august '98, but doesn't have blue emblem on grille, so guessing non-ETM unless it been changed.

He said he'd sell for £600 and could probably sort transport.

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    I think for the same money or just a little bit more you can get a very good t5 these days and at the price hes asking i wouldnt bother.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    A good 850 yes, but probably not a V70. I've looked at one cheap V70 and looked into a couple of other cheap ones, but there's always a risk or repair needed. Often not declared in description.

Prices do seem to be a little on the up at the moment though, at least over the last month anyway.

The T5 I'm viewing tomorrow looks very good, it's a late 850 for around £600, but does have high miles (200k), just that this newer, lower mileage V70 caught my eye in the same area.

Does sound like there could be more to the problem though, but when questioned he doesn't sound like he really knows.

I agree it's probably best left unless you were very familiar with this engine (I'm not).

This user has no status

Thanks
    The wire can come off the little drum in the thottle mechanism which leaves the thottle movement very limited, it happened to me some years ago with a S70, just remove the plate on top and with a screwdriver pull it back on, limp mode would still allow you 50 mph +
    S70CD t5 manual w/walnut incl. steering wheel, Rica 310 ecu, K&N, switched cold spray to i.c, d/pt plugs, 302mm f/disc, s/s hoses, f/strut brace, polybushed engine mount & control arm bushes,Koni FSDs with 30mm lowered eibach springs. R front bumper, boost gauge on pillar, 17in comets.w/pilot sport 215/45/, aerial down switch, double fog intens.

Thread Information