Join Today
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lashing it up with binding
    twine.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simpT5 View Post
    Hmm I might have to look into this rica chip business! Any idea what costs we're lookin at for a 99 ME7 T5? I've been on their website and they reckon it'll take mine from 240 bhp to 310bhp? MMMMM !!
    I'd say 280bhp - 290bhp, but it all depends on how well your car is running. If your car isn't running well, a re-map will just make the problems worse.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well, my car starts and runs fine with no funny noises, rattles or squeaks and pulls like the proverbial train! With 'only' 127K on the clock its still tight as a drum too, its used/lost no oil, water in the 2k ive put on it since buying it last december.

I recently changed the oil and filter myself and had a good poke around/under the engine and box whilst I was there and was very pleasantly surprised by how clean and oil free everything was so i'm quite confident my car could handle some more power!

Hmmmm this rica chip is sounding more appealing by the minute...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    dont know what it is now but mine cost me £350.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    not meaning to hi-jack your thread or anythin but I had some w4nker in an 07 plate Civic type R 'try' and undercut me this morning, as you do I instantly thought you can 4 cough and floored it, mine kicked down instantly and in a straight line he could'nt get infont of me and ended up coming back in behind me! I know on the twisty bits he'd of left me for dead as mine's just a standard 99 V70 T5 but It still amazes me how quickly it accelerates in a straight line, I just love the look on an unsuspecting drivers face in my rear view mirror when I wipe the floor with them in my 'boxy Volvo estate' costing a fraction of their crapy rep-mobile bmw's and audi's

nice one matey!

Needs more boost
    Thanks
    well i must say, the improvement is unreal and deffinate value for money, my car ran spot on before the chip and having done 165,000 i hope it will continue to be as reliable. as for the economy- its too early to tell as i'v just been robbed ££1.09 per litre of Vpower and i'v always ran it on normal unleaded. can anyone actually confirm that the saw an increase in mpg after rica or is that just a myth??
    cheers danny

This user has no status
    Eastbourne, East Sussex (home) and Southampton (uni)
    Thanks
    I matched, maybe even pulled slightly from one, in my 328i sport from about 60-not really that fast. Off the line they got advantage of quattro, but not very powerful standard and drivetrain loss.

1995 854 T5 (upsoloute ecu, koni's etc) sold
    1995 855 T5 (rica 304 and lots of other bits) sold
    1994 Subaru Impreza WRX STi v1
    1995 Clio 1.8 RSi (hoping to swap for a t5 at some point)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danny-R View Post
    well i must say, the improvement is unreal and deffinate value for money, my car ran spot on before the chip and having done 165,000 i hope it will continue to be as reliable. as for the economy- its too early to tell as i'v just been robbed ££1.09 per litre of Vpower and i'v always ran it on normal unleaded. can anyone actually confirm that the saw an increase in mpg after rica or is that just a myth??
    cheers danny
    After my Rica I had a rough average of 27 mpg prior to the remap it was about 24 mpg but I also have had to have alot of other sensors etc replaced as they weren't functioning correctly so I couldn't say if it was the Rica or the replacement of the other sensors which improved the mpg. However with the Rica fitted you don't need to open the car up so much to accelerate as the mid range power is impressive, therefore you probably won't use as much fuel in that respect.

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts

Smile

Hmm I might have to look into this rica chip business! Any idea what costs we're lookin at for a 99 ME7 T5? I've been on their website and they reckon it'll take mine from 240 bhp to 310bhp? MMMMM !!
    For the me7 engines, i had the rica ppc arrive in the post from Russ at r.t. mechanics, plugged in last week and it cost me £517.

The mte remap is £440, but you need to take your car to Don to have it done, or post him your ecu.

The rica unit can be taken on/off at anytime, takes about 3 minutes.

This user has no status
    Thanks

Question

probably a disguised 1.9 tdi or a slow 1.8 turbo! power to weight ratio i doubt it! but hey, you never know????????????

This user has no status
    Thanks
    found out it is an s3 and its not standard.

the wait is nearly over
    Thanks
    hi all new to this but i've got a volvo 850 t5-r rica'd manual saloon and it eats the older wrx subarus so dont give up hope theres still some of us out there that can kill the boys in there toys

This user has no status
    Eastbourne, East Sussex (home) and Southampton (uni)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by polak t5r View Post
    hi all new to this but i've got a volvo 850 t5-r rica'd manual saloon and it eats the older wrx subarus so dont give up hope theres still some of us out there that can kill the boys in there toys
    Most of the older wrx's unless moded are pretty damn slow. To get them quick need uprated turbos etc etc. Only 215bhp odd and then add drivetrain losses and loss of bhp with age.

1995 854 T5 (upsoloute ecu, koni's etc) sold
    1995 855 T5 (rica 304 and lots of other bits) sold
    1994 Subaru Impreza WRX STi v1
    1995 Clio 1.8 RSi (hoping to swap for a t5 at some point)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKESC70T5 View Post
    For the me7 engines......

The mte remap is £440, but you need to take your car to Don to have it done, or post him your ecu.
    No you don't. You can either purchase a SoftLoader from Don to keep, or he'll send you one in the post, you do the mapping on your own drive, then send him the unit back.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Wombatbomb View Post
    No you don't. You can either purchase a SoftLoader from Don to keep, or he'll send you one in the post, you do the mapping on your own drive, then send him the unit back.
    I stand corrected, but buying the softloader bumps the price up considerably, roughly £650 iirc.If you just borrow it off him,your stuck if you want to take the map off whenever you feel like it.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKESC70T5 View Post
    I stand corrected, but buying the softloader bumps the price up considerably, roughly £650 iirc.If you just borrow it off him,your stuck if you want to take the map off whenever you feel like it.
    I never said it was cheap, I just pointed out that you were incorrect about how an MTE map can actually be installed on a car

The SoftLoader does increase the cost if you want to keep it, but that is because it is a LOT more than just a tool to load the map onto a car. It can also be used to read/clear DTC's and as a live datalogger for on the road testing. On top of that, it also allows remote, fully customised tuning.
    Last edited by Wombatbomb; Sunday 29th March 2009 at 17:07.

This status has no user
    Thanks
    Was pointed in the direction of these www.hlmtuning.co.uk/offers by jez.w, and is something I'm considering. Need to get the engine checked over first, make sure there's no leaks anywhere etc. Worried about the miles too, don't want to kill it, as it's my only car at the minute.

Current Chariots...
    Micra K11 'project sh*tbox'
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    How many miles has the car done? Tbh mileage isn't an issue with these if they are well maintained

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

This user has no status

Thanks
    @Cherry1809,
    I've been advised the HLM 280 map would be a good bet for my 15 year old 130K FSH car. Get in touch with them mate, very helpful.
    94 855 T5 manual

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks

Smile

I'll second that wi bells on. A hoot to drive and great value for money. Mine arrived within 2 days and I'm chuffed to bits with it. Recommend it to anyone.

This status has no user
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    How many miles has the car done? Tbh mileage isn't an issue with these if they are well maintained
    247k Ex Plod. Think most of the miles were racked up by them, as the little old man I bought it from could hardly walk, let alone drive. It's got to see me out till December, after that i'll be looking for a manual 855R. Didn't want to blow anything.

Current Chariots...
    Micra K11 'project sh*tbox'
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

Thread Information