Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

0w-30 or 5w-30 which would you use?

I know its the age old question and there's not much between the two but I'll be putting either 0w-30 or 5w-30 castrol edge oil in my s60 2.0 Turbo

car has done over 100,000 miles, not sure what has been used in the past as I have just recently acquired it.

DPA (local independent) did say he feels 0w-30 is 'too thin' but upon further reading I have come across many people saying it is a 'myth' calling it too thin and can be very good. As we know Volvo themselves recommend castrol 0w-30.

What would you use out of the two??

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Personally I would use 5w30 and change it twice a year. Genuine filter every time.

If your car is pre 2005 then the dealer serviced it with 10w40 semi. Volvo now 'recommends' 0w30 at 14 quid a litre. If you haven't used it from day one then don't waste your money. Dave Stew will tell you that it 'ran' through the turbo on his old T5 and he now uses Valvoline 5w40 SynPower with no ill effects, plus it's cheaper than the Castrol.

I guess you 'pays yer money' etc. etc. but as long as you use a quality oil and change it regularly you won't do any harm.

J

This user has no status

Thanks
    5w-40 fully synth is the general consus , do a search on the forum for it. My mechanic uses shell helix 5w-40 in all turbo engines now.
    A 2001 Buell X1 Lightning now in sunny Tenerife and a Santa Cruz Superlight..yes I will get on it!
    Looking for a Honda Hornet CB600FS (fairing one in Blue) for the UK

This user has no status

Thanks

This user has no status
    IN MY PUB IN SWANSEA SA2 7DS WITH TONS OF BEER AND ALCOHOL AND NOT HAVING TO BUY ANY AT ALL......
    Thanks
    i use 5w 40 and mies a boring 170 bhp 2.4 v70 and i change it every 3 / 4 thousand miles this might be a bit too often but i just like to have clean oil in her and have always done this type of oil change since my mk 2 cavalier days. lol

martyn
    volvo v70 2001 2.4 170 bhp

on the look for a volvo v70r 2004 onwards
    did have a 96 n reg t5 saloon

This user has no status

Thanks
    Looking through previous threads it seems 5w-40 or 10w-40 is the most common. Now can someone tell me if Halfords own 5w-40 fully synthetic oil is actually fully synthetic? As I have read in many places that the 'cheaper' stuff can label itself as being fully synth but it isnt always true, whereas the more expensive brands such as mobil 1 and castrol etc are fully synth??

If the halfords 5w-40 is actually fully synth I may just go for that.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I doubt they would get away with selling oil marked as 'fully synthetic' if it wasn't. Then again the quality might not be quite as good as branded oils, but who knows. It it meets a certain standard (again one which they'd be in hot water for if they were selling it as something that it wasn't...) then it should be ok.

However, I'd always go with a branded name to be sure...
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

This user has no status

Thanks
    IIRC the Halfords one is made either by Shell has some connection with the people at Shell. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry to be a bugger and keep going on about it but which out of the oil grades would be a safer bet to 'last longer' before another oil change?

0w-30?
    5w-30?
    5w-40?

Or is there nothing between them?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As John says, I have been running 5W40W SynPower in my T5 for 45,000 miles now with no ill effects. It uses very little oil and seems to do a good job - original, unmolested T5 lump with 145,000 miles up.

This user has no status
    Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by beppie boy View Post
    i use 5w 40 and mies a boring 170 bhp 2.4 v70 and i change it every 3 / 4 thousand miles this might be a bit too often but i just like to have clean oil in her and have always done this type of oil change since my mk 2 cavalier days. lol

martyn
    Queue here to buy BeppieBoy's used oil! I'd pour that into the D5 and do another 8k on it! I bet they love you at your local accessory shop.

J

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    So Valvoline 5w 40 Synpower or Shell Helix 5w 40 in the R? I am presuming that 0w 40 would be just too thin (just thinking winter, getting a lighter mixture)? The block has only got 40,000 on it and currently runs Helix.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status

Thanks
    if you search google for "oilman" you'll find a guy called simon on various forums where he explains exactly what a fully synthetic oil is. iirc even mobil 1 isn't fully synthetic.

personally i've used different oils, 10w40, 5w40, 15w50 from mobil 1, silkolene, fuchs etc etc etc.

the important thing as mentioned before is the frequency of the changes, i normally change mine every 3-5k.

edit. maybe i should check the date of the posts next time....
    Last edited by irf; Sunday 22nd November 2009 at 16:30.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irf For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Sunday 22nd November 2009),Flatout Phil (Sunday 22nd November 2009)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just to update;

Decided to take it to Dave at DPA Notts after the new Turbo and he put in Valvoline 5w30 fully synth. Its been running fine however it has been using some oil and needs topping up every 2.5k miles (min to max)

Time for an oil change and I have opted for Fuchs 5w40 fully synth from GSF which they were selling at £24 for 5 litres, bargain!

I know its winter and 5w30 would have been thinner and easier to circulate but the use of oil has been bothering me and although I have been advised it isn't 'excessive' I'd rather it not be using any oil at all.

Will put in the 5w40 and let you know how it goes.

Anyone remember roughly how much oil the s60 2.0 petrol takes?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    uzyg,

You might find this information of some use:

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/.../02s60_11a.htm

Cheers,
    John.
    Touareg 5.0 V10 TDI
    * WIDESCREEN NAVIGATION * 12 WAY ADJUSTABLE ELECTRIC SEATS * AUTOMATIC BOOT/TAILGATE * HEAT INSULATING TINTED GLASS * VAVONA WOOD TRIM * NAPPA LEATHER * DETACHABLE TOWBAR * PADDLESHIFT TIPTRONIC * 6 DISC CD * BLUETOOTH PHONE

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Okete For This Useful Post:

uzyg (Tuesday 24th November 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I used 5W-40 in my Previous S70R wich was Tuned.. with no problem... and Now I use 5W-40 in my S60 T5. never use anything else....

Thread Information