Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

I want less roll, what's easiest?

Hi there,
    I reckon my car would benefit from less roll in the handling department, but don't want to go the whole suspension kit route. (Unless it is the only option)
    Do the sportier /newer models have better anti roll bar set up, or is it all down to the springs?
    There are knock bangs or creaks from the existing set up, just quite amusingly rolly in the bends when pressing on.
    Any pointers appreciated
    Rob

94 855 T5 manual

This user has no status
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Lowering springs I would say first. Kilen lowering kit part number 968428. This will be 40mm lower. There about £90.00 plus vat from most motor factors.
    Cheers Mark..........
    EBC DRILLED GROOVED DISCS. EBC GREEN STUFF PADS. AIR CON REMOVED. TWIN EXIT EXHAUST. BLACK MESH GRILLE.GREEN PAPER AIR FILTER. FRONT SPLITTER. POLY TOP BUSH.V70 REAR LAMPS
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist
    http://www.r2rc.co.uk/landing/index.htm

3. The Following User Says Thank You to flyingbrick For This Useful Post:

Rob S (Thursday 19th March 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Shocks and springs first, if you are going for springs you might as well get new shocks put in while you are there. Bilstein Sport shocks or a good branded replacement shock build for lowering springs so it has a shorter rod and normally valved differently. I wouldn't cheap out on just the shocks from experience.

Then add a front chassis brace, the original Volvo one is perfect and only still about £70.

This is normally fine, and then if not upgrade to IPD anti-sway bars, thicker than the stock ones and a great upgrade to make the car really handle like its on rails, had them on my 740, dame did the car handle well after these were fitted!!!

I believe all the sway-bars were the same upto the T-5R, they were replaced and made thinner on the 850R to allow for more sway and then the car recieved 20mm lower suspension and different shocks, both set to a stiffer setting to make the car move better in turns, so better than the previous models. I remember reading that on a Volvo press release somewhere on the net a while ago, from 1996.

All these bits you can get from "Parts For Volvos Online" so................
    Last edited by Big Pete; Thursday 19th March 2009 at 16:26.
    VOLVO 854R (1996 model)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Pete For This Useful Post:

Rob S (Thursday 19th March 2009)

Some people hate to see you
    doing well. They are losers...
    Thanks
    The strut brace mentioned above (which cost me £70) gave me the biggest single imrovement in body roll....

Springs help as well, but when I added the brace, the difference in roll was noticable...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulZX For This Useful Post:

Rob S (Saturday 21st March 2009)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Guess I'll be looking for one of them then!
    I checked the tyres pressures today for the first time in the 2 weeks I've owned it (I know, shocking!) and they average between 20 and 28, DOH!!
    Upped th pressure in line with the manual, and it seems slightly more responsive, if a little harsher(to be expected).
    I'll look into the strut brace, thanks!
    Last edited by Rob S; Saturday 21st March 2009 at 22:48. Reason: Because I don't read posts properly!
    94 855 T5 manual

Thread Information