Join Today
    In the R club again!!

Thanks

which speakers for my r?

I am thinking about upgrading t speakers in my 855R and would like some advice. I am looking for some good deep bass which is loud enough to annoy the neighbours.
    The front speakers crackle and the back are crap jvc things at the moment.
    I think i have a 4 channel amp under the dash but not sure what power it is.

Can i get a set of components for front and a set of 2 or 3 ways for back doors?

What are the genuine volvo units like?

In the R club again!!

Thanks
    bump
    any ideas guys?
    cheers

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I dont know what size the originals are but get some components for the front. Replace the old fronts with the mids and put the tweeters somewhere, my old V70 had them in the grilles on top of the dash at the sides (if 850s have them) or the plates behind the wing mirrors.

Pull the rears out and put a sub in the boot. 10" will be nice and punchy, 12" will be more floppy-deep.
    The amp will be enough to power the fronts reasonably but if you want to crank it up it might be worth replacing. The sub will need its own amp.

My old boot with the false floor removed. Smaller loadspace but sounded good
    Last edited by Baj; Wednesday 18th March 2009 at 21:01.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have had a lot of success mounting a Pioneer Spare Tire Subwoofer (TS-WX50) , its not a house shaker, but a nice solid bass in the car, just right. It fits in the spare wheel (space saver with 7 seat option) and has its own built in amplifier, only 100 watts, but gives the sound a nice bottom end, and absolutely no loss of load space.

Next will be a component set that will swap straight over with the existing speakers, preferably JBL, don't really need any amps as the sound is not too bad anyway
    Last edited by Babybadger; Thursday 16th April 2009 at 11:29.
    A 2001 Buell X1 Lightning now in sunny Tenerife and a Santa Cruz Superlight..yes I will get on it!
    Looking for a Honda Hornet CB600FS (fairing one in Blue) for the UK

Some people hate to see you
    doing well. They are losers...
    Thanks
    I might've gone a tad ott with my sub, but damm, does it sound goooooooooooooood?!

I've got a 12" 3,000w sub and amp running @ 1 ohm, fitted in a box I built to the exact internal volume specifications, non-ported. It almost fills the boot front to back, coz the speaker's outside the box facing in, and all-up weight is around the 25kg mark.

But I can still get a full folded down pram in there, with no bother at all.

As for internal speakers, mine are standard volvo, although the rear door speakers have lived their lives, and now put out almost no sound, the fronts are booming.....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    you say you have gone a tad ott ... i have 2 12inch subs running 2000w into 1ohm in my boot!

i have gone JL audio components all round in the doors, and my parcel shelf i have 2 slick 60SEK component woofers and the slick 6x9's in the same style as the components, is plenty loud, and even on really low volume is loud enough to annoy the neighbours!

Matt

In the R club again!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SyKo View Post
    you say you have gone a tad ott ... i have 2 12inch subs running 2000w into 1ohm in my boot!

i have gone JL audio components all round in the doors, and my parcel shelf i have 2 slick 60SEK component woofers and the slick 6x9's in the same style as the components, is plenty loud, and even on really low volume is loud enough to annoy the neighbours!

Matt
    when you put the components in the front did you use new cross overs for the dash tweets?
    i am not sure if or where the factory cross overs are.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yes- always use the provided x-overs, they will be tailored to the speakers characteristics.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    beat ya, i had 3 x 15's running 1.3ohm & about 1000wattRMS each (used to run 12's but just split them in half lol )

as for the mids i ran Kenwood 5" dual-mag components in the standard position with the tweeters mounted on a adaptor under the grills on the dash, then swopped to VIBE 5" 2-way coaxials which weren't quite as good
    Last edited by p fandango; Wednesday 22nd April 2009 at 05:17.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo_1975 View Post
    Yes- always use the provided x-overs, they will be tailored to the speakers characteristics.
    inless you use an active x-over, does work out dearer as they have to be amplified seperatly but does give you more control over everything

This user has no status
    Thanks
    mate thats awesome! i am inheriting my mothers clk430 soon so all my stuff will be transferred into that in a similar way you have setup there.

Thanks
    mate thats awesome! i am inheriting my mothers clk430 soon so all my stuff will be transferred into that in a similar way you have setup there.
    thanks, i do miss my loud music. £30 Sony CD player & standard 5hitroen speakers aren't quite upto the same standard lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    oh i bet, when i was driving my 940 for a bit, it was like a pair of 6x9's on the parcel shelf and some 4inch front door speakers ... there was bass and volume, but just not much as it was the original volvo head unit. but it had radio reception which is more than can be said about my 740 atm ... you'll be lukcy to get a mobile phone signal in it let alone fm radio!

In the R club again!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo_1975 View Post
    do i need to remove the old crossovers? if so where are they?

In the R club again!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    beat ya, i had 3 x 15's running 1.3ohm & about 1000wattRMS each (used to run 12's but just split them in half lol )

as for the mids i ran Kenwood 5" dual-mag components in the standard position with the tweeters mounted on a adaptor under the grills on the dash, then swopped to VIBE 5" 2-way coaxials which weren't quite as good
    i would love to do something like this in my 855 but my bullmastiff needs all the space

This user has no status

Thanks
    I used to run something a little bit more sedate in my 2003 D5 V70. I run a Alpine F1 headunit, Dynaudio 3 way in front (not volvo originals), a pair of 10" Diamond subs in a sealed box run by a DLS A6 amp into 1 ohm and the i have a Diamond D7056 6 channel amp running the fronts.
    Very loud but fantastic sound quality and i did not lose any boot space because i managed to get the 2 amps and sub box along with power cap under the original floor but had to do away with the spare and jack!!

Laughjimbo

Thread Information