Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Unhappy squeaking suspension but handling still 'good'

ive had mt 1995 glt t5 estate for 7 months now and this thing has taken me by storm.what a motor stacks of power and with deltalink rear suspension although there is roll the car whips round them country tight bends or awkward windy roads with ease. ive found out quickly that tyres dont last long on the front , its no suprise the wheels are doing everything and dragging a great lump aswel.

I went for a drive round derbyshire and chatsworth at the weekend and really pushed car see what she was made of and fingers crossed i havnt blown anything but the suspension has started squeaking like an old steel bed going over speedbumps etc , does anyone have a prognosis for this?? i was thinking of replacing the bushes in the vehicle , is this expensive ? or is it shockers ?

other problems i have are the lambda sensor light keeps flicking on and i keep tirning it off 'new lambda'?

heres a picture of my car i'm hoping to lower it have changed side repeaters to clear and have put a k+n air filter induction kit on but unfortunatley have been laid off so its on hold for a bit

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr j hill View Post
    the car whips round them country tight bends or awkward windy roads with ease.
    You sure you were driving the Volvo at the time this took place?

On the suspension side of things, is it the front or rear squeaking? Usually the things to wear are the strut top mounts or the drop links to the anti-roll bar. If you look at the top of the suspension in the engine bay, check to see the condition of the rubber mounts where it comes through the bodywork. Heavily torn and mangled rubber means they are shot. Checking the drop links will entail getting a bit dirty and taking the front wheels off. You probably need to do that anyway to have a good push and prod to see what condition things are in. If you don't know when the links were last replaced, then it's a fairly sure bet they need doing.

The lambda lights could be a dodgy connection or a sensor on the way out. I'm not sure which method your car has for reading fault codes; engine bay boxes or interior OBD connector. Do a search for how to read engine codes. Engine bay boxes (by ECU housing) are the easier ones.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iGGy For This Useful Post:

james (Wednesday 11th March 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I agree 100% with Iggy about the strut top mounts being the likely culprit.
    My old 855 used to squeak like crazy over the bumpy stuff but I replaced these: http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=4382
    And these : http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=3169

And silence returned. Prior to that I'd replaced the drop links but it didn't fix it. Apparently that when they are gone it's more of a clunling low down.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gareth For This Useful Post:

flyingbrick (Thursday 12th March 2009),james (Wednesday 11th March 2009),TenaciousC (Monday 6th December 2010)

Thread Information