Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Non Volvo brake discs and pads

Apart from the Porche and AP Racing brake upgrades, has anyone fitted non Volvo 302mm discs and pads?

Have seen some drilled discs, and some grooved discs, and the EBC red/yellow/green pads but I've only ever had the genuine Volvo spec fitted to my V70R.

If you have other than Volvo discs or pads, how do these compare to the original

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi. I have got EBC drilled and grooved discs with green stuff pads. There not as good as standard untill IMO there hot. When I am coming home from work its a 2 minute drive to the motorway 10 minutes later when I am coming of the slip road at speed I get some fade (a bit scary) Round down when hot there great. I will be going back to lucas brakes when these are done.
    Cheers Mark...
    Cheers Mark..........
    EBC DRILLED GROOVED DISCS. EBC GREEN STUFF PADS. AIR CON REMOVED. TWIN EXIT EXHAUST. BLACK MESH GRILLE.GREEN PAPER AIR FILTER. FRONT SPLITTER. POLY TOP BUSH.V70 REAR LAMPS
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist
    http://www.r2rc.co.uk/landing/index.htm

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingbrick View Post
    Hi. I have got EBC drilled and grooved discs with green stuff pads. There not as good as standard untill IMO there hot. When I am coming home from work its a 2 minute drive to the motorway 10 minutes later when I am coming of the slip road at speed I get some fade (a bit scary) Round down when hot there great. I will be going back to lucas brakes when these are done.
    Cheers Mark...
    Hi Mark

Do you find that with grooved discs, these accelerate the wear of the pads?

What are the Lucas type....are these just pads, or both.

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks

Talking

What are the Lucas type....are these just pads, or both.[/QUOTE]

Both pads and discs..Lucas (TRW) supply loads of OE not sure who makes them for volvo. Anyway I know that trw manufacture in the EU. Not asia !!
    Cheers Mark..........
    EBC DRILLED GROOVED DISCS. EBC GREEN STUFF PADS. AIR CON REMOVED. TWIN EXIT EXHAUST. BLACK MESH GRILLE.GREEN PAPER AIR FILTER. FRONT SPLITTER. POLY TOP BUSH.V70 REAR LAMPS
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist
    http://www.r2rc.co.uk/landing/index.htm

This user has no status

Thanks

Wink All about the pads!

Ferrodo performance pads can't speak too highly of them, have tried the rest now have the best
    S70CD t5 manual w/walnut incl. steering wheel, Rica 310 ecu, K&N, switched cold spray to i.c, d/pt plugs, 302mm f/disc, s/s hoses, f/strut brace, polybushed engine mount & control arm bushes,Koni FSDs with 30mm lowered eibach springs. R front bumper, boost gauge on pillar, 17in comets.w/pilot sport 215/45/, aerial down switch, double fog intens.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMXPJ View Post
    Ferodo performance pads can't speak too highly of them, have tried the rest now have the best
    Great for track days but take a while to warm up so not so good for normal driving.

IMO you cannot go wrong with Volvo disks and pads unless you are doing track days in which case; Volvo disks, Ferodo DS2500 pads and Motul Racing brake fluid (available from www.opieoils.co.uk).
    I'll be baaak! Hasta La Vista, Baby!

Volvo V70R AWD 1999

This user has no status
    Thanks
    <-- what he said

I only ever hear bad things about EBC pads on our cars.
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have not found that problem, I would agree with ds2500 racing pads but with the performance pads they perform so much better than the OMP that it's very noticable. My son's also got a T5 which he quickly changed to performance pads from OMP after driving my car, both with 302mm discs.
    S70CD t5 manual w/walnut incl. steering wheel, Rica 310 ecu, K&N, switched cold spray to i.c, d/pt plugs, 302mm f/disc, s/s hoses, f/strut brace, polybushed engine mount & control arm bushes,Koni FSDs with 30mm lowered eibach springs. R front bumper, boost gauge on pillar, 17in comets.w/pilot sport 215/45/, aerial down switch, double fog intens.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ive just had fitted Mintex 302's and Pads. Bought them off Ebay for (i think) £80 delivered.

They seem ok, but I get intermitant brake judder, but no wheel shake (its weird) so Im putting it down to the wishbones, which Im having replaced soon
    Last edited by Liddo; Wednesday 1st April 2009 at 13:20.
    Thankyou, Goodnight....much love

This user has no status

Thanks
    If you was'nt getting judder before you replaced the discs/pads then it wont be judder from wishbones will it?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you was'nt getting judder before you replaced the discs/pads then it wont be judder from wishbones will it?
    Dunno mate, Im not too sure if my wishbones were being masked by the old disks and pads, and the fact that the whole system needed bleeding badly. I had to previously pump the pedal to get them to work The new ones seem REALLY good quality, and Ive only done about carefull 700 miles on them, AND, the judder is intermitant, which, from what ive read, is possibly wishbones

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well if it is put a thread on because it would be interesting to note for us all!

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    this is the reason i wouldn't touch EBC discs again, crazing all over the disc not just the area pictured. I do like the pads tho

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well if it is put a thread on because it would be interesting to note for us all!

Will do

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ferrodo performance pads can't speak too highly of them, have tried the rest now have the best
    I assume you've never heard of Dixcell or Carbotech XP8's then?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombatbomb View Post
    NO......................any good??

SOLD

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    I have the drilled and groved discs that are on ebay i think the seller is called motor sport fabrications these discs have been fine with no problems and i use genuine volvo pads i once got brake fade when i had the 280mm standard discs on the main reason i got the drilled and groved is because i think they look good but i would say you have to drive the car and brakes hard to get any benafit from them

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Most drilled discs will crack if used hard, if you don't use them hard then why buy them unles its a show car. If you want disks with holes in it's a lot better to buy ones with the holes in when cast.

This user has no status
    Thanks

Smile

I have an old 3ltr 960 and decided to upgrade the discs/pads, i went for black diamond combi discs with their on make of predator pads, what a difference it made to the feel and stopping power compared to standard, there could be some who dont like black diamond but i for one find them a good upgrade to standard at a reasonable price, also changed brake fluid to DOT 5 as the car is used for the dreaded caravan, track day d the car at Marham last October and the brakes coped quite well only when being very over enthusiastic was there any slight fading. But at the end of the day you only get what you pay for.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombatbomb View Post
    the ds3000 are a better pad than the ds2500 and the xp 10 are also better than the xp 8 , there are alot of better pads out there than mintex ebc and the likes of omp it all depends what you want from the pads ???? elliot has had first hand experience with carbotech pads which i havent but have tried various project mu pads aswell as carbone lorraine pads , but and a big but myself and elliot have better ( upgraded ) callipers so there are more options open to us

Thread Information