Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

$""?@## autobox failed again

Well, the R has eaten yet another box, its fourth! It was early this morning so i guess it wanted it for breakfast!

This weak box is really beginning to get me down. Since i had the last one fitted in August it has been treated pretty carefully, no red line starts or spinning it at 60 etc, just standard if slightly fast driving. No warning this time, last one i knew it was going but today just lost drive.

I am not to happy putting another used one in as they have done usually 100k and are 10 years old, my other options are:

New: just to expensive.
    Recon: Expensive but a years warrenty, what worries me is that they use the old box and you cant be sure what is replaced, if the casing is worn it might last a year then i am back where i started.

I am also seriously thinking about going back to standard tune, i dont think these autos can handle the extra torque.

Any advice would be appreciated, any good re-con companies?, my indie volvo mate has recommeded gear tech in worcester?

Whinge over.

Steve
    1998 V70R
    Custom Tuned

This user has no status

Thanks
    Haven't a clue about Gear tech, but I would *very very very* strongly recommend King Automatics in Epsom, Surrey.

http://kingautomatics.com/

Even if you only ring them for advice.

What they don't know about auto's isnt worth knowing.

They are renowned for mods / updates / improvements to many weak 'boxes etc.

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ahhpigsy View Post
    Well, the R has eaten yet another box, its fourth! It was early this morning so i guess it wanted it for breakfast!

This weak box is really beginning to get me down. Since i had the last one fitted in August it has been treated pretty carefully, no red line starts or spinning it at 60 etc, just standard if slightly fast driving. No warning this time, last one i knew it was going but today just lost drive.

I am not to happy putting another used one in as they have done usually 100k and are 10 years old, my other options are:

New: just to expensive.
    Recon: Expensive but a years warrenty, what worries me is that they use the old box and you cant be sure what is replaced, if the casing is worn it might last a year then i am back where i started.

I am also seriously thinking about going back to standard tune, i dont think these autos can handle the extra torque.

Any advice would be appreciated, any good re-con companies?, my indie volvo mate has recommeded gear tech in worcester?

Whinge over.

Steve
    Auto boxes on such cars are stupid just to much going on in there for the power. Mine went on just a t5 just over a year back needed reliability so steered away from 2nd hand and since you have fitted 4? well i guess i might have made a good choice and got mine reconed by these guys

http://www.automaticman.co.uk/3.html

cheap they aint but the box has now done some 40,000 since rebuild so i guess the proof is in the pudding etc?
    you thought about converting to manual? maybe buy a manual t5 or whatever of flea bay (cheaper than a recon box) and then you got all the bits clutch pedal etc? break/flog the rest? hope this helps good luck........

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Steve sorry to hear that mate, do you use a oil cooler? as Engineer does on his and has had no issues for the last 3 years,
    That's the whole reason i broke the Cassis R up for spares, i loved the car but hated the auto box,
    I haven't looked back since but i do miss the lovely colour
    Gary
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo_1975 View Post
    Haven't a clue about Gear tech, but I would *very very very* strongly recommend King Automatics in Epsom, Surrey.

http://kingautomatics.com/

Even if you only ring them for advice.

What they don't know about auto's isnt worth knowing.

They are renowned for mods / updates / improvements to many weak 'boxes etc.
    Thanks for the info, once i get the codes which should be today i will give them a bell, i would be interested in any possible upgrades they can do to toughen it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 5seaterT5x2 View Post
    Auto boxes on such cars are stupid just to much going on in there for the power. Mine went on just a t5 just over a year back needed reliability so steered away from 2nd hand and since you have fitted 4? well i guess i might have made a good choice and got mine reconed by these guys

http://www.automaticman.co.uk/3.html

cheap they aint but the box has now done some 40,000 since rebuild so i guess the proof is in the pudding etc?
    you thought about converting to manual? maybe buy a manual t5 or whatever of flea bay (cheaper than a recon box) and then you got all the bits clutch pedal etc? break/flog the rest? hope this helps good luck........
    Many autos run bigger engines with much more torque it seems that volvo just couldnt be arsed to redesign there box to suit the T5 and R models. Of the 4 volvo models i have owned all have had major flaws and weak points, obviosly some great points aswell. I just wish they would live upto there reputation of being a caring, safe, reliable company. Alot of the time the are just arse, especially the dealer network.
    Thanks for the site info, i will call them for ideas and cost of recon, no more used units going in, the decision to use a used one has always been money available at the time, money still tight but as you say reliability is important, i am getting nervous driving 10 miles now in case i get stranded.
    I considered a manual conversion last box, just cant do it, i used to be a mechanic but many years ago, i could handle some of it but dont have a garage etc so it starts to get to expensive, also the mapping is for an auto so more cost there, the time the car would be off the road would be to long as kids need to be driven to school and stuff, wish i could be not poss.

Quote Originally Posted by siamblue View Post
    Hi Steve sorry to hear that mate, do you use a oil cooler? as Engineer does on his and has had no issues for the last 3 years,
    That's the whole reason i broke the Cassis R up for spares, i loved the car but hated the auto box,
    I haven't looked back since but i do miss the lovely colour
    Gary
    Hi Gary, hope you are well.
    I have no oil cooler as i dont tow i never realy considered it, might be an option this time if a fit a recon, the oil never stays that fresh in my boxes so heat might be a factor, any advice on where to get and how much?
    Hopefully i will make it to a meet or two this year, get to meet up again.

Steve
    1998 V70R
    Custom Tuned

This user has no status

Thanks
    Presumably you are using the standard 'in-radiator' oil cooler though?!

If the oil isnt staying very fresh and blood red within say 20k (of normal driving) then your current 'box had a problem from day one. If the oil has been going dark and smelling burnt then something has been slipping all the time.

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info, once i get the codes which should be today i will give them a bell, i would be interested in any possible upgrades they can do to toughen it up a bit.

Many autos run bigger engines with much more torque it seems that volvo just couldnt be arsed to redesign there box to suit the T5 and R models. Of the 4 volvo models i have owned all have had major flaws and weak points, obviosly some great points aswell. I just wish they would live upto there reputation of being a caring, safe, reliable company. Alot of the time the are just arse, especially the dealer network.
    Thanks for the site info, i will call them for ideas and cost of recon, no more used units going in, the decision to use a used one has always been money available at the time, money still tight but as you say reliability is important, i am getting nervous driving 10 miles now in case i get stranded.
    I considered a manual conversion last box, just cant do it, i used to be a mechanic but many years ago, i could handle some of it but dont have a garage etc so it starts to get to expensive, also the mapping is for an auto so more cost there, the time the car would be off the road would be to long as kids need to be driven to school and stuff, wish i could be not poss.

Hi Gary, hope you are well.
    I have no oil cooler as i dont tow i never realy considered it, might be an option this time if a fit a recon, the oil never stays that fresh in my boxes so heat might be a factor, any advice on where to get and how much?
    Hopefully i will make it to a meet or two this year, get to meet up again.

Steve

Just a thought, as you have done 4 boxes? the guys who fixed mine (on the above link) said it was almost certainly down to the ECU going pear shaped, apparently lotsa dry joints n such. Dunno just something else to think about? But good luck. I'd certainly NEVER EVER buy another FWD AUTO with the power these things can chuck out

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi Pigsy, I am well thanks i am busy getting my tuned car up and running but too much going on at once with no money doesn't help lol,
    Engineer doesn't tow but his car is mapped by MTE, his oil is cherry Red all of the time, i think he is on Redline now in his autobox, you get them from Volvo Rufe will be able to quote you and all they do is plumb into your existing cooler in the rad, then the smaller cooler bolts in,
    IIRC about £160,

regards Gary.

PS forgot to say Volvo wanted £3k for a auto box for the Cassis R, i wasn't prepared to have a recon fitted because i heard Volvo are the only ones that have all the parts for gearboxs underwraps.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo_1975 View Post
    Presumably you are using the standard 'in-radiator' oil cooler though?!

If the oil isnt staying very fresh and blood red within say 20k (of normal driving) then your current 'box had a problem from day one. If the oil has been going dark and smelling burnt then something has been slipping all the time.
    Yes, just the standard cooler, the oil upto a few weeks ago when i last checked was good, as it should have been as it has only been in 6 months since the last change, checked on the breakdown and brown.

Quote Originally Posted by 5seaterT5x2 View Post
    Just a thought, as you have done 4 boxes? the guys who fixed mine (on the above link) said it was almost certainly down to the ECU going pear shaped, apparently lotsa dry joints n such. Dunno just something else to think about? But good luck. I'd certainly NEVER EVER buy another FWD AUTO with the power these things can chuck out
    Do you mean the engine ECU? i have not noticed any weird faults but i suppose it is a possibility. I really like the auto in the R, it is a nice drive when going slow and pretty handy when booting it, if only it was a tougher transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by siamblue View Post
    Hi Pigsy, I am well thanks i am busy getting my tuned car up and running but too much going on at once with no money doesn't help lol,
    Engineer doesn't tow but his car is mapped by MTE, his oil is cherry Red all of the time, i think he is on Redline now in his autobox, you get them from Volvo Rufe will be able to quote you and all they do is plumb into your existing cooler in the rad, then the smaller cooler bolts in,
    IIRC about £160,

regards Gary.

PS forgot to say Volvo wanted £3k for a auto box for the Cassis R, i wasn't prepared to have a recon fitted because i heard Volvo are the only ones that have all the parts for gearboxs underwraps.
    Hi Gary, got to make some calls and find out a lot of info on recons, i am not going to jump in unless the can come up with spec or over spec parts. I am going to ask my mechanic about a cooler, at the moment i am not clear on what has actually failed, if it is heat related then i will go for one, the last box had a shattered torque convertor which i believe was just down to the power increases.
    What car are you tuning?, the white one i saw you in quite a while back? What mods you doing?

Thanks for all the info, got to make some money decisions now.

Steve
    1998 V70R
    Custom Tuned

This user has no status
    Thanks
    HI Steve, I wasn't prepared to go recon on the R as they wanted £1500, I wasn't sure what parts they replaced so that was that out of the question,
    On my box it was 2 solenoids that packed up, one of them aided the cooling hence the cooked box,
    The Gold T5 i bought for £695 last year with a knackered engine, 122k, SE spec it has everything my R had except, prologic, leccy seats, and R subframe, the T5 has a BSR stage 3 PPC map, i dumped the small race cat and exhaust and just kept the rear box for the future mods,
    In the fitment stage and already bought, 19" Pegs, ported 16T turbo and angled exhaust manifold, 3" st/steel exhaust turbo to rear box inc race cat, one box lol, cleaned Blue injectors, full Koni adjustable sports suspension, just sourced KAD 6 pot H calipers with AP 2 piece 330mm grooved discs and DS2500 pads, I will get Carbotech XP8 pads next when funds allow, Poly top mount with Poly lower wishbone kit, think that is it, it will probably scare the hell out of me by having a standard T5 for the past year lol,

keep us informed what ever you do,

Gary.
    Last edited by siamblue; Friday 6th March 2009 at 13:53. Reason: Caliper is a H not a G.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My trans oil is standard Dex 3 no special synthetic Red Line its Comma actually and is still cherry red thank's to the additional oil cooler (touch wood )

So now 2 years plus and counting .

The MTE map is not an auto map but something Marco and Don did for me which was much against their advice with regard to the auto box life span, my choice though.

Considering the weight of the S70R 1650 kg most of the time but fully laden when on holiday its held up well and long may it continue
    Engineer

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Engineer For This Useful Post:

siamblue (Friday 6th March 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Speak to Competetion Transmission Services http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/index.html
    These guys are big in the performance ford world and their box builds are renound for strength and durability.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alan M For This Useful Post:

Major Frank Squiff (Sunday 8th March 2009),siamblue (Saturday 7th March 2009)

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Yes, just the standard cooler, the oil upto a few weeks ago when i last checked was good, as it should have been as it has only been in 6 months since the last change, checked on the breakdown and brown.

Do you mean the engine ECU? i have not noticed any weird faults but i suppose it is a possibility. I really like the auto in the R, it is a nice drive when going slow and pretty handy when booting it, if only it was a tougher transmission.

No the ECU for the auto box these cars have at least 2 ECU's one for engine one for auto box both i think located in black box under bonnet behind drivers side headlight

Hi Gary, got to make some calls and find out a lot of info on recons, i am not going to jump in unless the can come up with spec or over spec parts. I am going to ask my mechanic about a cooler, at the moment i am not clear on what has actually failed, if it is heat related then i will go for one, the last box had a shattered torque convertor which i believe was just down to the power increases.
    What car are you tuning?, the white one i saw you in quite a while back? What mods you doing?

Thanks for all the info, got to make some money decisions now.

Steve
    No the ECU for the auto box these cars have at least 2 ECU's one for engine one for auto box both i think located in black box under bonnet behind drivers side headlight

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have an auto, remapped by SW, 3" DP, race cat, 2 1/2 catback and not had any problems and am on 133k on origional box

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hiya,

I was also worried by this thread! I got my auto box at about 100k, and changed the fluid for fresh Volvo. Later I fitted an auto oil cooler. The car's now done about 130k miles including track days and drag race days, and is chipped. It's holding up so far...

Cheers, Pete
    '97MY black 855R manual M56H
    Porsche/S60R BBK, 17"x8J Pegasus, RIP, Samco coolant & vac, Koni SSK/Nivo, Simota, 15G angle flange, IPD turbo back & HT, MSD coil, chipped, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

Thread Information