Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Can Tuning be this Cheap?

My apologies if we've covered this before.

I have previously shied away from tuning the old girl 'cos it was expensive. I would only do it for the economy gain and it would take a long time to make back, plus I'd heard and seen horror stories of fault codes and warning lights like Blackpool Illuminations after remapping.

I had heard of 'tuning boxes' which claimed to perform miracles and this is no different

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Diesel-Economy...d=p4634.c0.m14

This box claims 195bhp and 400Nm of torque from a 163 D5 for what seems like 10 minutes work and about a ton.

What, if any, disadvantages are there? Is it really that easy to fit?

Can performance really be this cheap? Is the power claim feasible?

Who, on here, has one?

Can someone tell me just how they work? I don't want to be left by the side of a French motorway with a melted engine and a four grand recovery bill!

luv'n'stuf

John

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Wouldn't touch it personally mate. I wonder what Volvo thinks of them using their logo?
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Probably works on a similar principle to this :-

http://www.bhpplus.co.uk/diesel-tuni...BHP&make=Volvo

When I last spoke to my local Volvo main dealer (I was looking at an XC90 D5...) he talked about these ones (from bhpplus.co.uk) and offered them as a dealer option on all new and used cars...
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Al115 View Post
    Wouldn't touch it personally mate. I wonder what Volvo thinks of them using their logo?
    Why not, Alastair?

This user has no status

Thanks
    i got my remap from dte motorsport for my s60 d5 (£150), it is running faster now, the difference in torque is more noticeable IMHO. But i have not been in a rica or other 'big brand' remap car, so cant comment on the difference and if it worth the difference in price.

It good if you on a budget, i not sure about the economy though, the computer says it is the same.

I get around 42mpg on a normal slowish drive but otherwise on a regualar i get around 37mpg, that said i have a very heavy right foot, i have 100,000 on the clock now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Come on, guys.

You can't just make a statement like 'I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole' or whatever without something to justify it.

To those of you who are technically minded - why do I go for a remap?

What advantage/disadvantage is there in a tuning box?

If I knew the answers I wouldn't be asking the questions. Am I risking pump or injectors or melted pistons or what?

Help me out, please.

J

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I suspect that these tuning boxes 'intercept' certain input/output signals to/from the ECU and fool it into thinking that things are slightly different than normal, thus making the standard ECU do slightly different things to control the engine.

It's no different in principle to a conventional remap I suspect, it's how the end result is achieved that differs.

The only thing I would also suspect is that the tuning box method is a little more crude than a 'proper' remap.
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

In the R club again!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by v70torslanda View Post
    Come on, guys.

You can't just make a statement like 'I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole' or whatever without something to justify it.

To those of you who are technically minded - why do I go for a remap?

What advantage/disadvantage is there in a tuning box?

If I knew the answers I wouldn't be asking the questions. Am I risking pump or injectors or melted pistons or what?

Help me out, please.

J

am no expert but i have been told by 3 mechanics (1 of whom was trying to sell me 1) that on cars with more than 100k miles always go for a custom remap from a local reputable dealer/tuner who live tunes your car on a rolling road. as cars change through time and these maps are set to your car and therefor get the best performance or economy or a balance of both depending on what you chose. make sure they guarantee the work and its reversible if there are any problems you can go and get it sorted if they are local.
    not too sure if the same applies for diesels though
    hope this is of some help mate.
    dob

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dob For This Useful Post:

v70torslanda (Monday 2nd March 2009)

Thread Information