Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Happy :)

This user has no status
    Thanks

Very Happy :)

I'm very happy cos today i got poly bushes fitted to both top engine mounts,and the strut brace tensioner,and the lower engine mount
    to say i was shocked by how the car performed was an understatement
    it's quicker,sounds louder and handles really well.

I even got the chance to see how it would compare against a Vauxhall Astra VXR on the way back i was surprised to find he couldn't get away from me i was actually catching him lol so a very worthwhile investment got the whole kit for 101 quid powerflex ones aswell so not cheap crap got a few more mod's that i'm getting done so i'll keep u all posted

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S60 View Post
    I'm very happy cos today i got poly bushes fitted to both top engine mounts,and the strut brace tensioner,and the lower engine mount
    to say i was shocked by how the car performed was an understatement
    it's quicker,sounds louder and handles really well.

I even got the chance to see how it would compare against a Vauxhall Astra VXR on the way back i was surprised to find he couldn't get away from me i was actually catching him lol so a very worthwhile investment got the whole kit for 101 quid powerflex ones aswell so not cheap crap got a few more mod's that i'm getting done so i'll keep u all posted

Was that the kit for 101 squid that's advertisde on the Powerflex website? Thinking of the same myself at that price.

Don't let age define you. It's a number that's all.

04 V70 D5 EUIII SE (MTE remap, IPD arb's, Eibach Pros, TWR custom FMIC, UR front strut brace)

This user has no status
    Thanks

Talking

Made up for ya bud. Thers nothing better than burning off car cars the cost 4 x as much lol.........
    Cheers Mark..........
    EBC DRILLED GROOVED DISCS. EBC GREEN STUFF PADS. AIR CON REMOVED. TWIN EXIT EXHAUST. BLACK MESH GRILLE.GREEN PAPER AIR FILTER. FRONT SPLITTER. POLY TOP BUSH.V70 REAR LAMPS
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist
    http://www.r2rc.co.uk/landing/index.htm

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i never got it off of powerflexes website i just went onto e-bay got it off of somebodies shop free delivery but i would definetly recommend u getting it done makes a big difference

This user has no status
    Thanks
    www.larkspeed.com do a discounted set.... may be as cheap, or cheaperthan ebay.

In fact I think they sell on ebay!

Who knows!

I will get round to the bushes, but I'm gonna wait till I get my new shocks!

I'll do that, the top mounts & the wishbone bushes.

I also want a QBM strut bar convertor. Changes the bar to a proper strut brace! Dear tho & they don't seem to answer a simple email!

Keep the mod's rolling in! Just make them subtle, small & keep the car sleeper!

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi,

I have been looking to do this for some time now. The only thing that is putting me off are the reports of increased noise.

How bad is the increased noise?

I don't want it to be too loud.

Thanks,
    Andrew

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Nothing too bad, get a bit more vibration in the cabin whilst sitting at idle.

Tho the engine won't jerk as much once it's been done. The OEM part has big gaps in it!

The best idea is to replace the top & lower mounts at the same time! Powerflex now do all 3 bushes that are required! (took their time!)

Very worthwhile, cheap & painless mod that will make the car feel better almost instantly!

The vibration will die down as the bush "sets" into the mount. Takes a week or so, so be patient!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

andrew_s46 (Monday 2nd March 2009)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
    Nothing too bad, get a bit more vibration in the cabin whilst sitting at idle.

Tho the engine won't jerk as much once it's been done. The OEM part has big gaps in it!

The best idea is to replace the top & lower mounts at the same time! Powerflex now do all 3 bushes that are required! (took their time!)

Very worthwhile, cheap & painless mod that will make the car feel better almost instantly!

The vibration will die down as the bush "sets" into the mount. Takes a week or so, so be patient!
    I think I will go for it then.

I will report back - hopefully I will be as pleased as everyone else!

straight5
    This user has no status
    Hi andrew_s46. Let me know what difference you notice.

Question for thebadger: If you do the the qbm strut bar conversion but leave the standard bushes, do you get most of the improvement without the same level of added vibration?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    By bushes, do you mean bush? The big bush at the top of the engine is the biggest change...

The QBM conversion removes the bushes at both ends of the support bar.

This means vibration from the engine will be stronger, however the likleyhood of the big bush being toast already is very high, so if anything it would be better (less vibration) by replacing the top mount (big bush) but you will have a massive increase in handling/power down from the conversion, so.......

Yes & no... Yes, less vibration off the engine, but No, as the engine will flail about like a wounded horse in the engine bay.

Fix it all in one go! You'll most likley find the need to lift out the support bar anyways... so do the very ££££ed bush while the bolt is out!

P.s. as per my previous posts about this, you need a 14mm, 15mm, 17mm & 18mm sockets! You have been warned! Remember that most long (extender) wheel brace bars have a 1/2" plug on them & usually carry a 17mm socket....

btw straight5, there would be little point in fitting a new oem bush as the price is almost the same & the oem will fail first.

Common sense dude!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

straight5
    This user has no status
    Appreciate your comments badger, hopefully its not common sense Im lacking....just knowledge. Im very new to all this, and still trying to get my head around modifiying. I only bought my T5 in December and the most I have managed to date is to put on new number plates. For good reason too; Im useless at this stuff. So when I can eventually afford to make any modifications, I will not be doing it myself. In the meantime I am trying to glean from these threads, and from folks like yourself, what mods are the most useful, and also what order to do them.
    I like to drive fast and push on round bends. I do find the handling is remote, and the car struggles for traction. Now I know this is largely to do with the weight of the car and it being FWD, but obviously there is stuff you can do about this. Primarily I guess its sorting my springs and shocks (expensive) and next its sorting the wobbly stuff holding the engine. (cheaper)
    When I mentioned "bushes" I had got the impression that there are some at the top and some at the bottom, as well as the "wobbly" bar across the top. Now if I've got this right, for handling I want to make the bar into a solid "strut brace" and change the soft standard rubber bushes with much harder poly ones. I can understand how this helps keep everything more stable and improve traction etc. Just wondering just how much difference to comfort it will make. Particularly when I need to take the wife and kids down to Devon on a regular basis. It wont be worth improving the handling if the ride is too harsh. No doubt I will need to see some modified cars in the flesh to get a true idea. PS Sorry to be ignorant, but I am truly grateful for any advice and knowledge.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Not at all dude, you don't ask, you don't know!

The lower bar (two small bushes) should be sorted out at the same time to help the feel of things.

Replacing the big top bush does little to the handling, its the conversion of the bar.

The ride will stay the the same, but the handling improves! I have felt a definite change to the car.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Tuesday 3rd March 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    badger just likes showing off with all the knowledge in his big brain lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My brain hurts tonight... just got an X1.... curve ball! Windows mobile media & back to MSD cards?

Oh well, 16GB for <£50... not all bad, but still an auwful lot of buttons, pages & options!

Cars may be on the back burner this weekend!

straight5
    This user has no status
    My brain hurts tonight... just got an X1.... curve ball! Windows mobile media & back to MSD cards?

Oh well, 16GB for <£50... not all bad, but still an auwful lot of buttons, pages & options!

Cars may be on the back burner this weekend!
    You will soon get bored of the X1. Novelty doesnt last long, unlike driving a T5
    Nothing these phones does is that exciting. I like gadgets but looking at videos or music on my phone or writing emails with a tiny screen just doesnt do it for me. YOU WILL BE BACK.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It's a sound phone, means I did this post using it! At work...

This user has no status

Thanks

Powerflex upper Engine Mount

H Folks, not hijacking the thread but i changed the Top engine mount for a Powerflex one (same as the big yellow thing in the picture at the top of the page).

The vibrations were absolutely terrible on idle. It was vibrating that much my rear door card was rattling and it started to play games with my ears after so long. I whipped it off again and removed the big washers that are provided, this helped the vibrations slightly, but it still vibrates.

I have since been to a breakers and got a 2nd hand (ok condition) upper mount and ive put that back on - sweet as a nut now.

Honestly, i cant see how anyone could live with those type of vibrations. Its fine once off idle, but when your sat at lights etc, your having to rev it to stop the vibrations, it really p*ssed me off.

Do you think afer using this top mount for a few hundered miles it will 'bed in'.

It cost me like £30 so i dont really want to waste it, but i certainly won't be happy with those vibrations for the rest of my days.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It's a sound phone, means I did this post using it! At work...
    Just bit the bullet and got an iphone. I've had it two days and am getting used to it. The biggest thing is that it just works.

You set it up and it synchs first time with your Outlook (unlike Palm Pilots). It sets the time and date automatically (unlike most phones). It just works.

Excellent.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dave stew For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Friday 13th March 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i know what your talkin about with the vibration i've got the big bush the small one at the back of it plus the strut bar ones but to me the vibration is worth it after they were fitted it transformed the car so i'm quite happy with it but then again not everybody will be the same its just down to personal preference i suppose

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S60 View Post
    i know what your talkin about with the vibration i've got the big bush the small one at the back of it plus the strut bar ones but to me the vibration is worth it after they were fitted it transformed the car so i'm quite happy with it but then again not everybody will be the same its just down to personal preference i suppose
    i can deal with a little extra vibration, but when the whole car is juddering, it sounded like a tractor!!??

this was not just some small annoying rattle, these vibrations played with your head after a minute or 2, yet once on the open road and off idle, it was fine???

Thread Information