Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Very odd T5R problem

Not my car but a mates. T5R manual M reg. When the cars running it idles at 800rpm very smoothly. Rev it & the revs build to 6500 no problem, however, the revs take ages to drop. Sometimes it behaves, I went out in it tonight & gave it some welly, go's really well but when at 'giving it some' the revs don't fall between gear changes & when coming to a halt allowing the engine to help with slowdown (trailing throttle) the revs still stick up around 4500-5000, then sits for a second or 2 then slowly falls.
    Really annoying bit is that if you pull over & rev it while the cars standing still the revs seem to behave.
    Throttle body has been cleaned & linkage isn't an issue. Can't see any air leaks & as the idle is perfect an air leak isn't really a suspect.
    Turbo blows nicely.
    Any ideas? The owner is getting majorly tired of it.
    .....sooper moose. '97 850R manual. Yum yum.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Have you cleaned the air idle control valve?
    The revs tend to stick when its full of c--p!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    IAC valve comes to mind http://www.volvoforumsrepairs.org.uk/800Repairs/iac.htm , also the operation of the recirc valve spring....
    Cheers
    jod
    855 rica 304bhp, Adjusted Wastegate, Bleed Valve, ITG Panel Filter, 171k fsh, Volvo Strutt Brace, Polybush Topmount , 4mm Samco Vacuum Hoses, 10 Core "Racing" Ht Leads, 302mm Volvo Discs under 16" Columba Alloys, Performance DS2500 Fronts Red Stuff Rears, Drillled Airbox, 5w/40 Oil Changed @ 5k intervals,

764 B230ET 108k FVSH No mods yet...Planning underway.....

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 850/70 Register Keeper
    VOC 20419

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taff - t5 View Post
    Have you cleaned the air idle control valve?
    The revs tend to stick when its full of c--p!!
    not sure mate if its been cleaned. at idle the cars fine. May well be worth a good look & clean!!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jod T5 View Post
    IAC valve comes to mind http://www.volvoforumsrepairs.org.uk/800Repairs/iac.htm , also the operation of the recirc valve spring....
    Cheers
    jod
    why the spring,do you think that a tired spring won't release the pressure & hold the pressure in the cylinders?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    just been told the Idle Control Valve is spotless & squeeky clean.

Any further ideas other than the recirc valve spring? (it will be investigated)

Lashing it up with binding
    twine.
    Thanks
    Same problem on my 850R its very annoing, would like to find a solution.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Have you checked the throttle flap (sounds noobish I know) it gets the crud from the PCV system on it, obviously this would also mean that the IAC valve should be fouled up too, but its not always the case. Its another thing to scratch off the list.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Some people hate to see you
    doing well. They are losers...
    Thanks
    I get the same thing on my T5.... I'll be watching this thread with intrest...

New Identity
    Thanks
    Also, to check the IAC valve, disconnect the multiplug, there should be three pins on the IAC. Connect a multimeter (set to resistance) to pins 1 and 2, then pins 2 and 3. The reading should be 9 to 14 ohms.

You can also check the movement of the valve by removing the assembly and twisting the body back and forth, you should be able to hear the valve moving inside. If not, then it might be stuck/sticking.

HTH

Bomb
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i had the same problem on my c70 and i ruled out airleaks ,,,, BUT i found the problem was indeed a airleak on the inlet manifold gasket ... sounds very much like it,s getting more air from somewhere !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    Have you checked the throttle flap (sounds noobish I know) it gets the crud from the PCV system on it, obviously this would also mean that the IAC valve should be fouled up too, but its not always the case. Its another thing to scratch off the list.
    The throttle body & flap have been cleaned. My mate who owns the car is a very VERY experienced mechanic & the problem has lost him already & doing his head in.

So, things to check are..... Recirc valve & inlet manifold gasket. Boost control solenoid???

New Identity
    Thanks
    Fair enough mate, hope he gets it sorted, seems like its affecting quite a few people.

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Sure it's not the throttle cable?, sounds like it from the syptoms. If you have a spare then why not swap it just to be sure?.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

flyingbrick (Saturday 21st February 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ye mine has the same problem this winter. Cant remember it doing it last summer. It seems to have gone away at the moment. touch wood.....
    Cheers Mark..........
    EBC DRILLED GROOVED DISCS. EBC GREEN STUFF PADS. AIR CON REMOVED. TWIN EXIT EXHAUST. BLACK MESH GRILLE.GREEN PAPER AIR FILTER. FRONT SPLITTER. POLY TOP BUSH.V70 REAR LAMPS
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist
    http://www.r2rc.co.uk/landing/index.htm

Lashing it up with binding
    twine.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    The throttle body & flap have been cleaned. My mate who owns the car is a very VERY experienced mechanic & the problem has lost him already & doing his head in.

So, things to check are..... Recirc valve & inlet manifold gasket. Boost control solenoid???
    Had anymore luck yet mate?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I posted a message a few back and unlike you got almost no response, thanks guys. I struggled on and carried out the same checks as you. I researched the problem to the temperature sensor and got a new one from Rufe and it has cleared up. Mine was along the same lines erratic revs which can be a classic case of TS fault. New one is around £20 and in any case worth a try.
    Other things to try are lambda sensor which should really throw up a code.

It's nice to get replies when you're tearing your hair out!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    This is a common issue on the 850's my T5 does it as well and was told by a few people that the only real way to elimiate it was through a remap although cleaning out throttle body ect. does help

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    i had this problem untill i fitted my forge dv and blanking plate, so the original recirc must of been at fault. made a big difference .

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I disconnected and blanked off the pipework to and from the PTC in the Maf pipe and cured this problem. Even with new pipework and clips from Rufe mine still had a rise in revs with the throttle closed until it was cured by venting the PCV to atmosphere and blanking off the nipple on the side of the inlet manifold.

Thread Information