Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

1996 T5 ex. manifold work

Rather than hijack Niles's thread any longer....

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20333

...thought Id post a separate thread with some pics of a std 96 ex manifold ive had a bit of a play with..

Firstly my weapon of choice:

and some close ups of the ports:

Here is a close up of what, after a careful inspection seem to be quite severe crack running down the root of each port divider:

I was hoping theres were casting marks, but either way cracks in manifolds/turbos are nothing new, and I doubt very much any material will break away

Any comments/thoughts/criticisms welcome

Joe

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    mine were the same bud

I've just realised, comparing mine and your pics, how small the ports are to begin with.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Did you re-use it Bomb?

that pic is perfect to compare the port size (i forgot to take a 'before' pic haha)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Yeah, I had to re-use it, its the only one I got LOL.

The pics were taken when I had to replace my head gasket, so whilst it was off the car I stripped down the turbo and cleaned it up, it was pretty crudded up.

All nice and clean(ish)
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Nice job mate. I think you can get away with taking a bit more out of it.
    .....sooper moose. '97 850R manual. Yum yum.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Take care when reusing cracked exhaust manifolds as when they get worse part of the centre divider falls out and goes through the turbo causing some damage to the turbine wheel.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post
    Take care when reusing cracked exhaust manifolds as when they get worse part of the centre divider falls out and goes through the turbo causing some damage to the turbine wheel.
    I agree. Any tiny piece of anything will kill your turbo. Its spins about 200 thousand rpm..........
    Cheers Mark..........
    EBC DRILLED GROOVED DISCS. EBC GREEN STUFF PADS. AIR CON REMOVED. TWIN EXIT EXHAUST. BLACK MESH GRILLE.GREEN PAPER AIR FILTER. FRONT SPLITTER. POLY TOP BUSH.V70 REAR LAMPS
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist
    http://www.r2rc.co.uk/landing/index.htm

This user has no status

Thanks
    I dont think Ill go too much further to be honest, maybe slim down the centre divider a shade more, but thats probably all

Im not an expert by any means, but as mentioned in niles thread, i think the dividers serve an important purpose, so gonna leave as much of them as possible. Im happy that ive opened up the ports enough to reduce the restriction, while keeping up gas speed and ensuring the pulses point right down into the turbo

At the end of the day, little tweaks like these all add up, but whilst im still running the rusty old std exhaust, no point going OCD on the finer details like this haha

Thread Information