Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

ME7 manifold project 'tidy' & turbo good to go

Tim & Tony kindly helped me get an ME7 exhaust manifold. Perfect condition other than a bit grubby. Clean it up I thought........Results.......
    My 1st go at this type of thingy......

Final polish required (it is very smooth but shows the grind marks, not sure I'll bother a s it's going to be carboned up within a few miles anyway)
    Last edited by Niles; Friday 13th February 2009 at 21:51.
    .....sooper moose. '97 850R manual. Yum yum.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Niles For This Useful Post:

dooby (Friday 13th February 2009)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Niles,

just out of interest how do you go about cleaning something like that. It does look like new, fresh metal again.

Cheers, Pete
    '97MY black 855R manual M56H
    Porsche/S60R BBK, 17"x8J Pegasus, RIP, Samco coolant & vac, Koni SSK/Nivo, Simota, 15G angle flange, IPD turbo back & HT, MSD coil, chipped, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

This user has no status

Thanks
    looks like its been beed blasted?

you can get 2nd hand cabinets for peanuts now,

managed to pick up an old cabinet for £100 last summer, ace bit of kit!

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    I'm after a cabinet to do my brothers mini bits in, missed one the other day for £50 on the bay
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yep, a good dunk in a decarboniser cleaner bath then sandblasted, milled out using Snap On milling tools in an air driven drill @ 56,000rpm!!! Hot knife & butter springs to mind.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Niles For This Useful Post:

dooby (Friday 13th February 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    and now ready for installation.........

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i'm surprised you haven't milled out the top outlet from the turbo while your at it

This user has no status
    Thanks
    to be honest mate I really thought about it & didnt think it was worth it. Still might tho. Go on, nag me!! The exhaust side has had major work removing ridges and imperfections. Super slick in there now.
    Last edited by Niles; Friday 13th February 2009 at 21:53.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blimey it's that clean I thought it had been sprayed with silver paint!! Top job will look smart, shame its covered by heat shields or aren't you going to bother refitting those?

What is the benefit of fitting an ME7 manifold are they better flowing than the 4.4's?

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hiya Niles,

you sticking with the straight exhaust outlet? I'm going to run a 2nd hand Volvo downpipe and cat off a C70 (I think it was) which mates up to the angle flange until I can get an uprated downpipe with racing cat.

Also, do you have the part number of the exhaust manifold gasket? I ended up with 5 individual ones and yours looks easier :-) Any idea on the price? I think my 5 individual ones were around £14 from memory?

Looking very nice, clearly I need a proper parts washer and bead blasting cabinet!

Cheers, Pete
    Last edited by dooby; Friday 13th February 2009 at 23:16.
    '97MY black 855R manual M56H
    Porsche/S60R BBK, 17"x8J Pegasus, RIP, Samco coolant & vac, Koni SSK/Nivo, Simota, 15G angle flange, IPD turbo back & HT, MSD coil, chipped, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

This user has no status

Thanks
    It does look good, its a shame there are no decent coatings that will withstand the heat (at reasonable money anyhow...)

I havent paid a great deal of attention to the manifolds I have, but that seems very similar to the normal T5 manifold to me? What are the differences on the ME7?

I was looking at an IPD site the other day and spotted an 'R' manifold, which i presume is meant to perform better?

http://www.ipdusa.com/product.asp?P_ID=1857&CAT_ID=372

I do like that one piece exhaust gasket though (is that the std gasket on the ME7 engines?)
    i wish i knew those existed before replacing mine the other week, miles less fiddly!

imho milling out the compressor exit wont aid performance one iota, so wouldnt worry about that at all.

Did you use TC burrs for the porting? Theyre a godsend for cast work, always try and keep them loaded up or theyll go dull quite quickly.

if anyone else would like their manifold cleaning up, just let me know, i could do this for people on an exchange basis if needed?

Regards

Joe

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Manifold gasket was recommended by Tim Williams. Its made of 3 thin sheets of stainless steel, should do the job very well!!!!
    Part number.... 8699467 £3.75 + VAT. Bargain!!

Im sticking to the straight outlet for the time being. Next jobs are continue tidying the cars body, then move on to more serious suspension & bigger brakes.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yep, the tools where Snap On tungsten carbide bits. (lent to me, not bought PHEW!!!).

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Blimey it's that clean I thought it had been sprayed with silver paint!! Top job will look smart, shame its covered by heat shields or aren't you going to bother refitting those?

What is the benefit of fitting an ME7 manifold are they better flowing than the 4.4's?
    Thanks, sure it'll go rusty soon, I might refit the heat shield but as my car is right now it hasn't one fitted, i took it off so i could set the actuator up & couldn't be arsed to refit it. lol
    The ME7 manifold flows better, porting out & milling stuff helps further. The S60R manifold is the top kiddy tho. Ebay gets 175-225 for an S60R one. The ME7 go's for 50-100.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    Thanks, sure it'll go rusty soon, I might refit the heat shield but as my car is right now it hasn't one fitted, i took it off so i could set the actuator up & couldn't be arsed to refit it. lol
    The ME7 manifold flows better, porting out & milling stuff helps further. The S60R manifold is the top kiddy tho. Ebay gets 175-225 for an S60R one. The ME7 go's for 50-100.
    Yeah I had noticed that the S60R manifold's go for fair price, didn't realise the ME7 was any different to the earlier version. Very interesting, Thanks

This user has no status

Thanks
    Tim reckons he can port a late ME7 to flow just as well as the S60R manifold btw, so say £70 for the manifold and about £60 for porting from Tim, bargain

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma666 View Post
    Tim reckons he can port a late ME7 to flow just as well as the S60R manifold btw, so say £70 for the manifold and about £60 for porting from Tim, bargain
    I take it the amount of porting required doesn't weaken the manifold?

Have tests been done on the flow rate of the S60R manifold vs. a ported ME7 manifold? Because that makes for a seriously interesting alternative.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts

S60R manifold

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    I take it the amount of porting required doesn't weaken the manifold?

Have tests been done on the flow rate of the S60R manifold vs. a ported ME7 manifold? Because that makes for a seriously interesting alternative.
    I dont know mate.

Has anyone ever seen some kind of comparison flow graphs between standard manifolds, ME7 & S60R?

This user has no status

Thanks
    after reading this, i had to have a bit of a bash on my spare manifold today (will take some snaps tomorrow) haha

on looking at my manifold now, (off a 96 T5) its slightly different in quite a few ways to your ME7 version

niles, when porting yours, did you mistake any of the casting lines as cracks, when i first got stuck into the divider area, i paniced as cracks started appearing at the root of each one, once sandblasted if can see its just where it has been cast, phew!

quite a few authors/tuning guru's state that in a turbo application 'flow' isnt the start all and end all of performance, some of the best turbo manifolds are the horrible convoluted 'log' type, but they seem to deliver to goods

if you look, the 'paired' ports on our manifolds, 1&4, and 2&3 are chosen as they fire quite far apart (FO 1,2,4,5,3)

i imagine this will help two-fold, firstly, to stop the port from 'strangling' the exhaust, which would occur if the cylinders fired consequetively (sending 2 cylinders worth of exhaut down the same port), and secondly, it will help provide 2 distinct exhaust pulses.

turbo's seem to love exhaust pulses, thats why tuned length manifolds work so well, and why the dividers exist in our stock manifolds, if these are taken away too much, then the pulse effect will be lessened and it might hinder performance in some areas

with this in mind, i didnt go quite as deep into the collector as you, instead just cut back until the openings were about the same x-section size wise as the rest of the port (about 1" in the centre), hopefully should 'de-choke' the collector area, keeping the gas velocity nice and high, without the pulse waves bombing about down other ports.

having said all that, knowing my luck, it will prob perform worse than std haha

Thread Information