Join Today

Thread: Oil for D5???

This user has no status

Thanks

Oil for D5???

Hi, I know this debate has been opened many times, but I am struggling to find someone who has used Mobil 1 Diesel in the D5.

It seems to have all the capabilities on the spec sheet, but has anyone actually used it or had it recommended?

Thanks for any help.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My D5 was dealer serviced until I bought it in 2006. I've used independents for servicing and none of them has ever objected to me supplying my own oil. I work for a major parts supplier so sourcing oil is not a problem.

My 2002 car was serviced with nothing more sophisticated than 10w40 semi-synthetic Castrol at the dealership. Oddly enough, after I left in 2006, Volvo changed the spec and insisted all D5s were serviced with 0w30 LongTec. At over a tenner a litre that would make dealer servicing very expensive.

As for the Mobil 1 feel free to use it but don't be surprised if your oil consumption goes up, it's very thin. It won't harm your engine and if you buy it from Costco it is good value at 20 quid ex vat for 4 litres. If you are paying retail then don't bother. It's just too expensive.

If you are sticking to annual/12000 service intervals then use the Castrol edge 5w40 fully synthetic diesel. If, like me, you haven't any warranty left and no one but you is picking up the bill if it goes 'bang' then switch to Millers 5w40 FS Diesel. Change it twice a year and use a genuine or Mahle filter when you do.

Hope that helps even if it wasn't what you wanted to hear.

luv'n'stuff

J

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You may not be aware but Mobil 1 diesel is the same as Mobil 1 - the power of marketing! I used Mobile 1 in my BMW 530D and the 0W40 is an excellent engine oil.
    I'll be baaak! Hasta La Vista, Baby!

Volvo V70R AWD 1999

This user has no status

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info guys, good to get some info on what you are actually using and to what effect, rather than the usual technical spec debates that goes on most of the time.

Thanks.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    You may not be aware but Mobil 1 diesel is the same as Mobil 1 - the power of marketing! I used Mobile 1 in my BMW 530D and the 0W40 is an excellent engine oil.

To clarify. If you have used 0w40 or Longlife engine oil from day one then carry on using it. If, like me, your car spent its first 60k on inexpensive semi-synth then there is no point and it will most likely run straight out of the exhaust. I think 10w40 semi is not good enough to leave in for the full 12k interval and, like I said up-thread, if it goes Bang then there's only me picking up the tab.

When you have to buy your own oil and every 2nd oil change needs ten litres
    it tends to focus the mind. I don't relish the thought of spending stupid amounts of money on oil twice a year to throw it away. Having said that I think, and it's only my opinion, that you need to be mad to leave your engine oil in for two years or 24k plus miles.

John

Thread Information