Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Front Bumper Removal

Hi, can anyone tell me how to remove the front bumper.

Cheers, Rob
    14.153 @101mph 1/4 Mile
    DEAD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

CHRYSLER 300C CRD SRT DESIGN
    313 BHP / 532 ft/lb / 0-60 5.28 SECS
    14.4 1/4 MILE @ 98 MPH

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by T5 ROB View Post
    Hi, can anyone tell me how to remove the front bumper.

Cheers, Rob
    Rob its dead easy - read the Haynes manual!
    Haha

seriously I do question people who try to maintain a car without reference to a manual, but I will precis it for you, while hopefully not breaching copyright.
    The only thing to remember is that you will need some replacement rivets if you are putting the (or a) bumper back on again. Funnily enough I just went in to Volvo this a.m. to buy some as I will be doing this job on mine. They are blind rivets but a bit more complicated than your metal pop rivet. Cost me 35 each and they list 16 of them for the front so it does not break the bank. I will post up the part number when I have trudged up to the car through the snow and get them into the house.

Here goes - haynes chapter 11 section 22 p 11.11
    General descr: consist of 3 sectionsan outer plastic overrider, and energy absorbing plastic foam insert ands a aluminium inner rail.
    Note the pics show the older type bumper with the concertina type secion in the overrider moulding. My "n" reg has a smooth overrider and I have not yet checked if all the following details apply but you can work it out as you go along, just as I will!
    Method
    undo mounting bolt each side, release the front edge clips and remove splach guard under radiator.
    Undo the screws, release the clips and remove the front spoiler. (nb not sure this needs to be taken off as a seperate piece WF)
    remove rivets securing plastic wheel arch liner to edge of bumper.(Drill or cut them free)
    remove overrider moulding from the bumper and undo the four bolts now exposed.
    withdraw bumper from car.

NB on mine I think the overrider section does not come out and therefore there are no hidden bolts. There are some torx type fixing bolts along the top edge of the moulding that arent mentioned, visible when bonnet is up.

Hope this helps.
    Woz
    ps - just did a search on bumper removal and found this link (thanks Tomcat)
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...bumper+removal
    Last edited by woz; Tuesday 3rd February 2009 at 14:53. Reason: found more info

3. The Following User Says Thank You to woz For This Useful Post:

T5 ROB (Wednesday 4th February 2009)

This user has no status

Thanks
    If it is being stubborn .... drive it into a wall, not overly helpful i know, but it works !

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    as promised the rivets you will need are part no 979878 Blind Rivet.

Which is good - if they are blind they wont see the wall you are going to crash them into :>))))))

6. The Following User Says Thank You to woz For This Useful Post:

T5 ROB (Friday 6th February 2009)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wegal View Post
    If it is being stubborn .... drive it into a wall, not overly helpful i know, but it works !
    Armco barrier works better.....
    A 2001 Buell X1 Lightning now in sunny Tenerife and a Santa Cruz Superlight..yes I will get on it!
    Looking for a Honda Hornet CB600FS (fairing one in Blue) for the UK

Thread Information