Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Oil light at 9000miles?

The V50's 8 months old and done 9120miles ish, now the oil light came on for my Dad on the way to work this morning, displayed on the dash was "Oil Low" and an Orange triangle appeared? Now the engine was run in properly, we have not yet checked the oil because the engine is still warm but I can't see how it could drink that oil in such a short space of time considering I checked it brand new and it was full, to top it off theres I think I read 2 litres between low and full? But don't hold me to that.
    Anyway so He got into the office and took the beemer out of the day and came back and took the Volvo home, and no oil light came back on? Any reasons for this? I'l check the oil in an hour or two when it's cooled down.

Oh and to top it off just incase he popped into halfrauds to pick up some oil and they checked there 'brochure' and gave him 5w/30 when theres a sticker across the engine saying "0w/30 ONLY" Hmmm

This user has no status
    Thanks
    is the engine standard or is it like your dads gt40 powered ford mondeo?

could be rear main leaking common problem on 2.0d not heard of it on a t5 though.

has the car been driven hard?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Not really, given a blast now and then but driven along country roads and up and down moutains most of its life, erm... it was 1mm under the MAX mark when we just checked.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    is the oil dirty as in black or does it still look clean?

look on the bottom of the sump there should be a black box this is the level sensor check for any rust or loose connection,

if you cant find the black box then the car does not have a oil level sensor this my sound silly but does happen worth taking to your local dealer as the car is still under warranty, get them to look up tie reports regarding this issue as im shore the was one regarding this?

gazbak1

This user has no status

Thanks
    Strange, was full yesterday, Dad checked in work this morning, empty, checked in tesco's after it had been left for an hour in the carpark, full again, and still the same back home? He put 1/4 of a litre in 5 mins ago so we don't have a clue whats going on?.

Oh and we have 0w/30 Castrol Edge now.

Thread Information