Join Today
    Some people hate to see you
    doing well. They are losers...
    Thanks

Question Power gains... How to?

This was gonna be a reply on the 304 or 280 thread, but it grew in to something bigger.... basically....

Can you get the same overall output, (fuel consumption and power/torque gains) with an mbc and a good fuel setup, without remapping?

The reason I ask is I have an mbc, and I had it setup at a rolling road with full diagnostics-setup, and power run, and that gave me 261bhp@5700 rpm and 275lb ft@4250 rpm that's 372Nm, which aint a country mile away from the rica 304 remap. This is good, and the old girl pulls like a train, but I want more....

And my point is, would there be any point in me getting the rica remap, for £300, or getting another setup as before that cost me 70 quid? I constantly get over 21mpg round town, 35 on a run, running on 95 ron, with a massive subwoofer in the boot.

Also, I've heard turning the intercooler around can help with increasing the boost pressure safely, how much truth is there in that? The way i see it right now, if i can turn the i/c round for relatively low money and get a setup done as before, that works out cheaper than a rica, and would give me a fair percentage more than a rica ever could.

I'm really just fishing here, what do you guys think, is that all twaddle, or is it just another way to do it?

What about air filters? Is a replacement panel filter made of stainless the best sort these days?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm thinking and typing at the same time, you're privvy to my conversation with myself here....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    A reverse ic won't really give you any more power,its suppose to give a faster more direct route from turbo to inlet so in theroy there's less lag.My 850 runs this setup & id say it does feel a little better. As for air filters i've just got a k&n panel filter & it seems fine or no better(or worse) than the induction kit i tried before,only way to really tell is run the car on a dyno with one & then straight after swop it for the other & run again,sorry i can't be more help.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dannt5 For This Useful Post:

PaulZX (Sunday 11th January 2009)

Some people hate to see you
    doing well. They are losers...
    Thanks
    What I've been told is that because it keeps things a bit cooler, you could up the boost a bit more, grabbing more power that way...

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingFridgeMover View Post
    What I've been told is that because it keeps things a bit cooler, you could up the boost a bit more, grabbing more power that way...
    Chad said his boost gauge reads higher readings with his RIP kit fitted and its suppose to hold the boost better.
    Thanks
    Martyn

6. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

PaulZX (Sunday 11th January 2009)

This user has no status

Thanks
    More importantly what were your afr's on the rolling road.
    Its all very well winding boost up but if your engine is running lean....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    u might get very similar figures by using super or optimax plus a few other tweeks but how long will your engine last because u would be maxing everything where's with the chip the fuelling timing etc is recalculated to within safe limits
    Volvo 850 t5
    1996/1997

Lashing it up with binding
    twine.
    Thanks
    A good re-map is worth every penny, it will cost far more when a rod goes the wrong way.

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dannt5 View Post
    A reverse ic won't really give you any more power,its suppose to give a faster more direct route from turbo to inlet so in theroy there's less lag.My 850 runs this setup & id say it does feel a little better. As for air filters i've just got a k&n panel filter & it seems fine or no better(or worse) than the induction kit i tried before,only way to really tell is run the car on a dyno with one & then straight after swop it for the other & run again,sorry i can't be more help.
    yeah and the IC stays the same way round, you just replumb the air pipes so it goes the other way through it.
    So its "only " a hose change.
    Cheers
    W:>)

Thread Information