Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Question how can i tell an unknown map??

recently been offerd two brains which are mapped,,there is no markings on them to suggest who mapped them so is there a way of telling?? through power curves ect maybe?? i am going to go down the mapping route eventually but want to know what my car is running ect? is there a way of telling who the ecu,s have been mapped by.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I cant think of anyway to tell that, unless you can view the source code and compare it to the source code of the tuning companies. Which put simply you cant do.

The only thing Id be careful of before using them is are they an off the shelf map for a standard car.... or are they a custom map, maybe for a car with a different turbo. I imagine that could cause problems.

Best way is to ask the owner of the brains if they know what map is on it. I would imagine that it will be one of the standard off the shelf map, but you never know !

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wegal For This Useful Post:

martybelfastt5 (Friday 18th June 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    they are both outa t5s that where bought as mapped cars one was broke and one was taken out incase the owner ever fancied another t5 and just replaced with a standard t5 ecu hes now driving older model RWD volvos bit of a pickle really,,guess i should just shell out for one so i know what im getting,,lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Not sure what kind of car you have got, if its an 850 then send the ecu to HLM and get them to put a map on it, think its still only 150 quid and by all reports its a good map. If the ecu's are free to you then its a good way to get one done on the cheap and then you will know exactly what map you have. I think HLM offer a 280 or a 305, general concensus is get the 305 :-)

Or you could talk to don at Kalmar Union see what he can offer you.

Or you could go to a rolling road, installl the ece stick it on the rollers and do a power run, just make sure that the operator knows his stuff and can monitor the fuel air ratio and boost pressure, they are pretty much the only two ( well the most likely two) things that will bugger your engine. Again Hamish at HLM knows his stuff.

Best of luck with it :-)

edit.. doh just realised this is in the 850 section which probably means you have an 850 lol.
    Last edited by wegal; Saturday 19th June 2010 at 11:11. Reason: cos im stupid

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wegal For This Useful Post:

martybelfastt5 (Saturday 19th June 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yep a 95 850 t5r saloon manual,,,lol

Thread Information