Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help an idiot

straight5
    This user has no status

Help an idiot

Do a good deed and help an idiot. Any useful info will be very much appreciated.

Please read the below and tell me if you have any ideas why everything on my heater/ac control part of the centre console is now dead.

I wanted to remove a nasty metal plate that had been left sticking out from previous owner's mobile phone cradle.
    I removed the pen holder in the centre console, removed the two screws holding the heater unit, undid the three connections other than the cigarette lighter cable and moved the unit out of the way so I could undo one of the screws that secured the audio unit, and which was also securing the metal plate. Removed the plate and put everything back as it had been. I have double checked the three connectors and everything is correct and no pins out etc. I also checked the fuse box. Its unclear which fuse is the relevant one, so I have systematically changed every one that is not definately for something else. Still no joy. Can anyone tell me what elementary mistake I have made, or is it not that simple. I was using a Haynes manual which says nothing about heater problems. Its not a good time of year to be without heater/aircon functions, so any useful advice will be very much appreciated.

This user has no status
    Thanks

if it was working before then it sounds like something not connected properly,
    best thing to do is to retrace your steps & take it apart again to check everything you touched just incase its something simple,
    they do have a problem with the blower going continuesly even when the key is out,but as i say,if it worked before you touched it then id say its something not back correctly.
    the other thing to check is that you havnt popped a fuse when moving it all about....
    those cars have about 3 fuse boxes so check them all,
    1 under the bonnet,1 in the door shut,& 1 in the boot i think...
    Last edited by t5 stealth; Wednesday 31st December 2008 at 16:05.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 stealth For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    a bit off subject but did you buy the car from leeming bar...if you did you beat me to it!!!!

straight5
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkshire R View Post
    a bit off subject but did you buy the car from leeming bar...if you did you beat me to it!!!!
    yes i did, sorry. Seemed too good to be true. So far not found anything too untoward. Let me know if there are any meets etc in yorkshire in near future.

straight5
    This user has no status
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 stealth View Post
    if it was working before then it sounds like something not connected properly,
    best thing to do is to retrace your steps & take it apart again to check everything you touched just incase its something simple,
    they do have a problem with the blower going continuesly even when the key is out,but as i say,if it worked before you touched it then id say its something not back correctly.
    the other thing to check is that you havnt popped a fuse when moving it all about....
    those cars have about 3 fuse boxes so check them all,
    1 under the bonnet,1 in the door shut,& 1 in the boot i think...
    Unfortunately there are only three connectors and they are all connected as firmly as possible and all pins appear to be ok. Im wondering if I have "blown" something because I didnt disconnect the battery.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    are you actually in york as im near

8. The Following User Says Thank You to yorkshire R For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks

my guess is that when you layed the ciggy lighter out the way it must of shorted on something metal....try the ciggy lighter....if it works then you didnt pop that fuse...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 stealth For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    have you tried unplugging and plugging back in?

gazbak1

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gazbak1 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Disconect the plugs again and put a multi meter across them, see if you have any voltage there with the engine running, if no voltage you done a fuse or relay.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wegal For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wegal View Post
    Disconect the plugs again and put a multi meter across them, see if you have any voltage there with the engine running, if no voltage you done a fuse or relay.
    NNOOOO dont you will bring on the SRS light!!

gazbak1

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gazbak1 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hes already unplugged them.... if no srs light now then he wont be getting one from those plugs, on mine the srs comes on if you dont disconnect the battery, it makes no difference if the engine is running or not.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to wegal For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wegal View Post
    Hes already unplugged them.... if no srs light now then he wont be getting one from those plugs, on mine the srs comes on if you dont disconnect the battery, it makes no difference if the engine is running or not.
    It did on mine.

I had it out a few times with the battery on, but no igniton, SRS light never came on.

Then when I stupidly turned the ignition on without the CCM connected it threw an SRS light.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Loadsamiles For This Useful Post:

straight5
    This user has no status
    Ive checked all the fuses and they all seem ok. Not had too much time so far to do more than that. Possible that Ive crimped some of the wires at the back, but they all seem intact and no metal exposed.
    Last edited by straight5; Friday 2nd January 2009 at 09:52.

straight5
    This user has no status
    Well its going into Dyrdals in York on Monday so will have an answer soon. I've had another look at the wires again and Im pretty certain I crimped the wires and they have shorted out. To save you all the time and effort:
    ...I am a ham fisted prat.

I just hope it wont be a big deal to replace that bit of wiring. Next update on Monday.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Probably a main fuse in the engine bay area..... thoes wires are mildly crucial to lots of gizmos!

Agreed on the SRS warning light thing!

Been there, done that, not to be repeated!

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

straight5
    This user has no status
    Well folks its the control panel itself. They took one from another S60 and it worked in mine and mine wouldnt work in the other S60. Therefore I can only conclude that "unsurprisingly" they don't like being disconnected and reconnected with the battery still connected.As I have said before; I know I am an idiot, but I have to say its a pity the fuse didnt go first, surely thats what it is there for.
    Small bit of luck is that they've found me a 2nd hand one from the breakers so Im looking at £75 instead of a couple of hundred. Do those prices sound reasonable?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Might be worth ringing a few breakers yourself mate.

Salvo is a good starting point.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Enigma666 For This Useful Post:

straight5
    This user has no status
    I've since spoken to someone who got one for a V70 from a breakers last year for £70 so I think i might be in the right ball park.

straight5
    This user has no status
    Ive fitted the replacement control unit. The dual zone heater controls and ac buttons work fine as does the windscreen demister button. However the STC and alarm zone control and rear window demister buttons dont respond. Does something have to be programmed in or software updated?... or have I wasted my money on a 2nd hand unit?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It wasnt a waste as you now have heat.

I would suspect it needs connecting to the computer and a software update as the unit is controlling the airbags and has a canbus connection.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Baj For This Useful Post:

Thread Information