Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    our info does state 35Nm
    If VOLVO is Your Drug, I am Your Dealer!

FRF FEEDBACK (click here)

Click Here for Info on FRF Motors...

<FOR QUOTES PLEASE CALL 01792 790066 / 01792 784272>

(Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm)

PLEASE QUOTE DISCOUNT CODE: "C3" FOR OUR BEST DISCOUNTED PRICES!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just do this, but if you are really worried about tightening the sump plug and reusing the washer i will do it for you. You are only 15 minutes from me Stainsey. The whole job is easier if you have some ramps, use wooden planks to get car up ramp without hitting bottom of front bumper.

1) Just run up engine so its warm (not hot), remove sump plug (size 17), catch oil.
    2) Remove oil filter (should be hand tight) and catch oil.
    3) Refit new oil filter by hand (tight as poss) with a smear of oil around rubber ring, refit sump plug and washer (reuse ok washer if necessary). If you dont have a torque wrench then nip up sump plug and then tighten it just a bit more (not too tight). Its not difficult to judge, and i dont think many people bother to use a torque wrench for a sump plug.
    4) Fill up with roughly 5L or so of good 10w40 semi synthetic oil.
    5) When your happy with the oil level start car (dont rev it as it will take a second for the oil to get around the engine). Start engine and while its running check around filter and sump plug for leaks using a torch and clean cloth.
    6) Turn off engine.
    7) Let engine stand for a few minutes and recheck level on dip stick (car level) as the new empty oil filter will have filled up causing the oil level to drop. Fill to max on stick, try and tighten the oil filter a bit more by hand.
    8) Take it for drive.
    9) Keep checking the dip stick over the next week or so.

Cheers
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

This user has no status
    Thanks
    its ok i no how to do an oil change. just went to do it and gess what. my luck strikes again. jacked the car up, put it on axle stands went to undo the sump plug then realised that what ever £££££ changed the oil last time has totaly rounded off the sump plug. couldnt even get a spanner to grip it. so now i have to get a new sump plug before i can change my oil. have also noticed oil leaking from the sump plug witch tell me who ever changed the oil last just done the plug up with force and rounded it off and buggered the washer.

GREAT

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stainesy View Post
    its ok i no how to do an oil change. just went to do it and gess what. my luck strikes again. jacked the car up, put it on axle stands went to undo the sump plug then realised that what ever £££££ changed the oil last time has totaly rounded off the sump plug. couldnt even get a spanner to grip it. so now i have to get a new sump plug before i can change my oil. have also noticed oil leaking from the sump plug witch tell me who ever changed the oil last just done the plug up with force and rounded it off and buggered the washer.

GREAT

bugger it

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I think i't already buggered!
    Touareg 5.0 V10 TDI
    * WIDESCREEN NAVIGATION * 12 WAY ADJUSTABLE ELECTRIC SEATS * AUTOMATIC BOOT/TAILGATE * HEAT INSULATING TINTED GLASS * VAVONA WOOD TRIM * NAPPA LEATHER * DETACHABLE TOWBAR * PADDLESHIFT TIPTRONIC * 6 DISC CD * BLUETOOTH PHONE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stainesy View Post

GREAT
    When did the oil last get changed, and who did it last time? It would need to be done up very tight to round off. Try fileing the dodgy edges of the sump plug, tidy the plug faces up to make the socket or spanner fit, a good socket should work best as they have more points of contact than a spanner. If all else fails use molegrips or big grips to get it out. I hope its not leaking because the thread in the sumps gone. Get a new washer and sump plug and go from there. Let me know if you need a hand mate. I would hate you to loose all your oil and seize the engine.
    Jez

C70 2.4T Manual

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jez.w View Post
    When did the oil last get changed, and who did it last time? It would need to be done up very tight to round off. Try fileing the dodgy edges of the sump plug, tidy the plug faces up to make the socket or spanner fit, a good socket should work best as they have more points of contact than a spanner. If all else fails use molegrips or big grips to get it out. I hope its not leaking because the thread in the sumps gone. Get a new washer and sump plug and go from there. Let me know if you need a hand mate. I would hate you to loose all your oil and seize the engine.
    cheers mate yeah i have a tool to get it out. just waiting till wednesday when i get payed till i go buy new plug and washer.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    went to volvo today and got a new sump plug and washer.
    just changed the oil and filter. must have been a long time since it was last changed as the old filter looked like it was starting to rust. feel alot better now i have that done.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dooby View Post
    Hiya,

here's a shot of a used crush washer (I changed my oil today):

You may be able to just make out the crush mark in the metal, one side from the sump and one from the bolt.
    That's not a crush washer. It's a normal alloy washer. Crush washers are made of light steel and are oval shaped (cross section) and on one side you can blatantly see the rubber 'O' ring inside the washer. These were porvided on the early 850's but i think they changed over to the alloy type as they are stronger and less likely to leak. Either way, you only use them once.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information