Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

S60 T5 problem with tracking, suspension or something else?

So.... I had 2 new front tyres fitted (good year eagles) and it then felt like the tracking was out as the car pulled slightly to the left and the steering wheel was slightly off centre (to the right). I had the tracking done with no improvement so I went back to them and they redid it but still there was no improvement. Does anyone have any suggestions what this could be? The company who did the tracking have a good reputation so I have no reason to doubt their integrity. If it's not tracking, what else could this be? I'm keen to avoid going to the maindealer!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The usual (non-Volvo specific) cause of this sort of thing is a good smack to the wheel resulting in a bent track rod, arm or similar front suspensionny hardware.

Has it always done it? Has the wife been driving it? Is one of the wheels in much better condition than the rest?

This user has no status

Thanks
    I've certainly not smacked anything - but I can't vouch for my wife. It started at around the same time as the new tyres were fitted but could be unrelated I suppose. Would a decent mechanic spot if something was bent?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I am not one but I would have thought so.

I do seem to remember someone somewhere mentioning tyres causing veering but I cannot remember where or when.

Swap fronts with rears. If the problem goes you know it is tyres or wheels

This user has no status
    Thanks
    A 4-wheel alignment check could be worthwhile - the fronts might be tracked ok but if, for example, the camber angle is out on one of them, you might still get the odd pulling steering symptons.
    Princepugh

V70 T5 P2

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hmmm, my v70 was doing a pull to the left, I fitted some wheel spacers & now it's to the right!

Could be any number of things, but my issue started after I fitted new droplinks... may be this.

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Check the condition of the ball joints, wishbone bushes and check the tyres for any sign of wear to the inner shoulder. Wheel alignment alone cannot cause a car to pull to the left or right.

The unfortunate truth is that once a tyre is scrubbed or 'shouldered' it retains that shape. Swap the wheels left for right. Check the straightline stability on a motorway or known flat stretch of road. If the car now veers to the right then the cause is uneven tyre wear. If the car still pulls to the left it is time to start looking hard at suspension components.

Please look at this with a super critical eye. It is most important that before you condemn many, expensive parts that you are sure that your car is not just following the camber of the road. If it is safe and legal then drive on the right and check the car still pulls to the left cos if it's a true fault the car will pull left irrespective of the road surface.

From personal experience, some bloody poor advice* and equally expensive tyre replacements, poly bushes should sort it out if worn bushes are the problem.

*(But Hey! That dealer's closed down and boarded up.)

luv'n'stuff

J

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ps. Should have mentioned that tyre pressures are also critical

luv n' stuff

J'

Thread Information