Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Oil changed and worried......

Just had the oil changed and it seems that there is a leak from somwhere. It was drained and 4ltrs drained out, and 5.5 litres went back in to the nearly full mark on the dipstick. Is that about right for ragging a car up and down the A1 to North Yorkshire and back? I think the oil was last changed in March 08 @ RT's . I did have a minor shunt in November, bu there has been no oil slick under the car since. The shunt only di the headlight , sidelight and bonnet, may have been some minor movement on the slam panel

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...ight=black+eye

The sump and around the gearbox (auto) was wet with a film of oil, but it wasn't dripping. There is a slight weep around the turbo intercooler pipe, but nothing major, any ideas anyone? I am hoping it is not the rear main oil seal......
    Last edited by Babybadger; Saturday 6th December 2008 at 17:48.
    A 2001 Buell X1 Lightning now in sunny Tenerife and a Santa Cruz Superlight..yes I will get on it!
    Looking for a Honda Hornet CB600FS (fairing one in Blue) for the UK

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    You'd know if it where the RMS, when mine was leaking I had a permenant puddle under the car and the oil consumption was horrendous. Could be just worn seals on the turbo, it'll let enough oil through to up the consumption but not enough to be that noticable. Next time you boot it, look in the rear view mirror for smoke.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status

Thanks
    ok, i understand my turbo is a bit worn , been told that, but the leak and wet oil around the sump? Has anyone got got a photo of the 'vulnerable' areas......

The only smoke I get is 'brown' when I boot it, and mainly in cold weather. It also looks like a film building on the back window. But it isn't oil , at least I don't think it is.....

Judging by this I don't need to be alarmed , but the leak?

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...il+consumption

Where is this oil elbow that is notorious for going?
    Last edited by Babybadger; Saturday 6th December 2008 at 20:16.
    A 2001 Buell X1 Lightning now in sunny Tenerife and a Santa Cruz Superlight..yes I will get on it!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Generally the T5's use oil....
    Leak areas are:
    Rear main seal....noticable by a drip on the road overnight or leakage between gearbox and engine..., usually cured by additive
    Leak from sump plug...obvious....
    Leak from dipstick sleeve at the sump...noticable by a trail across the sump from front of engine to back....
    If you have lost 1.5 litres between oil changes there is nothing to worry about, i use 4.5 litres in 5k and am not worried....
    Cheers
    Jod
    855 rica 304bhp, Adjusted Wastegate, Bleed Valve, ITG Panel Filter, 171k fsh, Volvo Strutt Brace, Polybush Topmount , 4mm Samco Vacuum Hoses, 10 Core "Racing" Ht Leads, 302mm Volvo Discs under 16" Columba Alloys, Performance DS2500 Fronts Red Stuff Rears, Drillled Airbox, 5w/40 Oil Changed @ 5k intervals,

764 B230ET 108k FVSH No mods yet...Planning underway.....

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 850/70 Register Keeper
    VOC 20419

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jod T5 View Post
    Generally the T5's use oil....
    Leak areas are:
    Rear main seal....noticable by a drip on the road overnight or leakage between gearbox and engine..., usually cured by additive
    Leak from sump plug...obvious....
    Leak from dipstick sleeve at the sump...noticable by a trail across the sump from front of engine to back....
    If you have lost 1.5 litres between oil changes there is nothing to worry about, i use 4.5 litres in 5k and am not worried....
    Cheers
    Jod
    What additive for the rear main oil seal? Wouldn't that damage the seal? My mate says it is probably the rear main oil seal, looking at where the oil is, I thought it was the turbo return jobby....

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    There's an additive you can get off Ebay that rejuvinates old seals, just add it to the oil and it's supposed to help, I used it when my RMS was leaking and it slowed it but didn't cure it. May be worth a shot if yours is leaking, but only something I would do after changing the PCV system.

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

Babybadger (Tuesday 9th December 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Babybadger View Post
    What additive for the rear main oil seal? Wouldn't that damage the seal? My mate says it is probably the rear main oil seal, looking at where the oil is, I thought it was the turbo return jobby....
    The rear main seal will leak between the transmission housing and the engine, the return seal from the rear of the engine
    The additive is Forte Oil Seal Rejuvinator....
    Cheers
    jod
    855 rica 304bhp, Adjusted Wastegate, Bleed Valve, ITG Panel Filter, 171k fsh, Volvo Strutt Brace, Polybush Topmount , 4mm Samco Vacuum Hoses, 10 Core "Racing" Ht Leads, 302mm Volvo Discs under 16" Columba Alloys, Performance DS2500 Fronts Red Stuff Rears, Drillled Airbox, 5w/40 Oil Changed @ 5k intervals,

764 B230ET 108k FVSH No mods yet...Planning underway.....

Dum Spiro Spero

VOC 850/70 Register Keeper
    VOC 20419

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jod T5 For This Useful Post:

Babybadger (Tuesday 9th December 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    check thee splashguard under the radiator as well, it could be from the oil cooler (mine was goosed and started leaking into the header tank).

probably not, but thought it was worth mentioning seeing as you've had some front end damage and it's easily checked
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

Powerflow Exhaust | Drilled & Grooved disks (rear) | ABS ECU repaired | Alloys refurbed | Strut brace fitted | Poly Top engine bush | Replaced front quarter panel | Replaced Front Passenger Door |PCV system replaced | ITG Panel filter | New radiator fitted | 302mm Drilled & Grooved disks (Front) | EBC Pads | Drop links |VPCUK Sticker

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    There's an additive you can get off Ebay that rejuvinates old seals, just add it to the oil and it's supposed to help, I used it when my RMS was leaking and it slowed it but didn't cure it. May be worth a shot if yours is leaking, but only something I would do after changing the PCV system.
    PCV was changed in march 08 by Russell @ RT mechanics, so I am suprised it may be RMS???

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    If you've had the PCV changed then I doubt it's the RMS, a lack of a puddle under the car rules this out anyway.

Previous cars:

This user has no status

Thanks
    No puddle, but drips every time I park up. Could the RMS just have leak or does it just ....go!!? It looked as if it was coming from that area, but could there be something above where it is leaking from? Will try and post photos tomorrow morning......

This user has no status

Thanks

There that may make it a bit clearer.......Should make it to france and back though.....

This user has no status

Thanks
    Worse than that is I do not have a oil check light at start up..... Is there a fuse or is this just a bulb in the dash and a sensor in the sump......

This user has no status

Thanks
    ....and now the oil light works again......confusing.......

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    The seals on my turbo return pipe are a good place to start, £3 odd from rufe.

My last T5 i sold to pault5estate had the same oil slick, changed the seal and o ring and it stopped leaking all together, cheap and easy fix

Worth a try bud

Cheers

Lee

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cameron For This Useful Post:

Babybadger (Wednesday 10th December 2008)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    The seals on my turbo return pipe are a good place to start, £3 odd from rufe.

My last T5 i sold to pault5estate had the same oil slick, changed the seal and o ring and it stopped leaking all together, cheap and easy fix

Worth a try bud

Cheers

Lee
    Did it look a similar dripping area?

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    Yes it did mate, all over the bottom of the sump and towrds the back.

Theres a car wash near me that has ramps you drive up on and they jetwash the underneath, theres been no sign of oil since

HTH

Lee

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

Thread Information