Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

16t on 2.5 awd lpt

would this be a straight swap for 13g turbo?
    do i need the ecu aswell?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    This question has been asked before hasn't it? You can't just take a 16t and exchange it for your 13g as a lot of work will be required. The ecu map, injectors and don't forget your car runs a different compression ratio (higher) than the car a 16t would have come from. If this conversion is really something you are considering I would get the advice from a professional such as RT Mechanics, a member called Engineer or if you can get hold of him Tim Williams. All seem to be knowledgeable people and have helped many others, me included. Buying an ECU to plonk in oonce the turbo is on will not really be the answer as loads of questions will need to be addressed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan M For This Useful Post:

Mental Wealth Doctor (Wednesday 3rd December 2008)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Exactly what alan said.

I'm guessing the remap would have to be custom jobby as putting an off the shelf map would probably cause more damage.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    cool a friend has said he can remap the car so thats sound,
    need bigger injectors?what size?
    the same ones as on c70 t5 or v70r?

This user has no status

Thanks
    whats the name of the guy who had a LPT but was running some serious mods? think he bought a 740 or something...........can't remember sorry, if i do i'll post.

as alan says you need to know what you're doing.

just off the top of my head, i'd imagine you'd need the turbo and downpipe. that will probably work with everything else stock as you'd run the same boost pressure.

to get more out of it after that, you may be limited by the injectors or maybe even the head gasket. if it's the injectors it'd be quite easy to get larger ones and then get a remap to suit.

if it's the head gasket, dunno really. i know with my old car, when people wanted too much boost for the stock head gasket they'd just get an easily available aftermarket thicker one. not sure on the volvos.

as said though, get advice from someone who actually knows what they're talking about, not people like me giving an opinion.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Smithy had the v70 LPT, before it got written off by some muppet.

Last I hear he was after a 740 like you said.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

irf (Thursday 4th December 2008)

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    don't think the rods in the 2.5lpt are as strong as the ones in the t5 either, so would be very careful as to how much boost you run, other than that ditto what Alan said.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    thinkin now maybe v70r is a easier option, lol

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    lol, yea would be alot easier!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 850twr View Post
    don't think the rods in the 2.5lpt are as strong as the ones in the t5 either, so would be very careful as to how much boost you run, other than that ditto what Alan said.
    apart from pistons the bottom end is exactly the same as a T5, crank/rods ect
    Past
    95 854 2.5 10v with b5254t conversion...RIP,
    96 850 awd...cut up RIP,
    95 965 manual!..parted out,
    94 855 T5 green..scrapped RIP,
    94 855 T5 red..heart lives on body RIP,
    03 S60 D5 sold
    94 855 glt 2.5 10v white parted out RIP
    97 V70 AWD parted out RIP
    Present
    93 854glt 2.5 20v (turbo)white daily project
    04 s60 D5 (literal twin of previous s60)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have to disagree that the 2.5t or any of the NA rods are NOT the same as the t5 ones, from my experience of seeing inside afew motors.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan M View Post
    This question has been asked before hasn't it? You can't just take a 16t and exchange it for your 13g as a lot of work will be required. The ecu map, injectors and don't forget your car runs a different compression ratio (higher) than the car a 16t would have come from. If this conversion is really something you are considering I would get the advice from a professional such as RT Mechanics, a member called Engineer or if you can get hold of him Tim Williams. All seem to be knowledgeable people and have helped many others, me included. Buying an ECU to plonk in oonce the turbo is on will not really be the answer as loads of questions will need to be addressed.
    Sorry but this is completely wrong. Injectors you almost never need. I run 17psi on my lpt with a 16T and I dont need injectors. I need a remap buts that's because of the increased boost. The 16t ran faster than my old 13g. Its a direct replacement NO modification is required. At the very minimum he would need an mbc as the stock psi setting on the 16t will be a few psi over what his car runs at now.

But to say he needs $1000+ work done to drop in a 16t is nothing but wrong.

Not saying an ecu tune is bad, he will get the most out of his car with a tune. But is not required.
    -----VOLVO-----
    '98 S70 GLT with stuff to make it fast

When I die I want to go quietly in my sleep like my grandfather ... not like all the screaming passengers on the bus he was driving.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    cool remap an 16t sounds sound, just gonna have to save about a grand for some proper suspension now , or find some off a v70r.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Hmmm, sounds good.

The only problem now is you've gotta take it easy on your clutch. Our AWDs weigh over 2ton, and I've changed my clutch twice now (12 months apart)!!

New Identity
    Thanks
    Hmmm, sounds good.

The only problem now is you've gotta take it easy on your clutch. Our AWDs weigh over 2ton, and I've changed my clutch twice now (12 months apart)!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by samadkins29 View Post
    Sorry but this is completely wrong. Injectors you almost never need. I run 17psi on my lpt with a 16T and I dont need injectors. I need a remap buts that's because of the increased boost. The 16t ran faster than my old 13g. Its a direct replacement NO modification is required. At the very minimum he would need an mbc as the stock psi setting on the 16t will be a few psi over what his car runs at now.

But to say he needs $1000+ work done to drop in a 16t is nothing but wrong.

Not saying an ecu tune is bad, he will get the most out of his car with a tune. But is not required.
    Running standard LPT injectors and 17psi of boost is a bit on the dangerous side isn't it. My 16t at 16psi and white injectors sits at around an AFR reading of 12 at WOT. Your LPT may be trying to protect itself by adjusting the timing automatically while you run your MBC without you knowing if your not using an AFR gauge or at least without having it checked on a rolling road with a wideband meter/system. Do you know if your car is running lean or not? If you read the post again aswell you will see I have never metioned a cost for such work to be carried out as I wouldn't know the exact costs involved without researching it myself. I very much doubt aswell that 17psi with a 16t compared to the 13g standard boost level will be the same. The 16t is a larger Turbo and will flow a larger amount/volume of air at the same pressure reading. Try this link for a little reading on Mitsubishi Turboshttp://www.stealth316.com/2-turboguide.htm

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan M View Post
    Running standard LPT injectors and 17psi of boost is a bit on the dangerous side isn't it. My 16t at 16psi and white injectors sits at around an AFR reading of 12 at WOT. Your LPT may be trying to protect itself by adjusting the timing automatically while you run your MBC without you knowing if your not using an AFR gauge or at least without having it checked on a rolling road with a wideband meter/system. Do you know if your car is running lean or not? If you read the post again aswell you will see I have never metioned a cost for such work to be carried out as I wouldn't know the exact costs involved without researching it myself. I very much doubt aswell that 17psi with a 16t compared to the 13g standard boost level will be the same. The 16t is a larger Turbo and will flow a larger amount/volume of air at the same pressure reading. Try this link for a little reading on Mitsubishi Turboshttp://www.stealth316.com/2-turboguide.htm
    Well yes I understand that. I wasn't saying he should run 16psi, I have alot of supporting mods and a ecu tune. The 350cc injectors are fine. What I am saying is that he can put in the 16t with little problem. ECU remap and injectors can run is the $700+ range and he will have to pay for install. I dont think I am running lean as my ecu has a remap that runs alittle rich.

Also, 16psi is 16psi, a larger turbo will push more psi faster, but to say that 16psi on a 13g is different from 16psi on a 16t is wrong. The 13g will have to work alot harder to get that pressure. But psi is psi.
    -----VOLVO-----
    '98 S70 GLT with stuff to make it fast

When I die I want to go quietly in my sleep like my grandfather ... not like all the screaming passengers on the bus he was driving.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo_1975 View Post
    I have to disagree that the 2.5t or any of the NA rods are NOT the same as the t5 ones, from my experience of seeing inside afew motors.
    i can understand the n/a rods being different but from going on what vadis states for the part numbers rods on turbo'd motors are the same. not questioning your experience but i am only relaying information provided by volvo themselves,..on a second note there are 2 seperate part numbers for the rods, but both appear in the different turbo engine varients. and for the differences between 2.5lpt and 2.3hpt engines volvo state that (blockwise) only the piston/rings,.cyl liners are different.
    Past
    95 854 2.5 10v with b5254t conversion...RIP,
    96 850 awd...cut up RIP,
    95 965 manual!..parted out,
    94 855 T5 green..scrapped RIP,
    94 855 T5 red..heart lives on body RIP,
    03 S60 D5 sold
    94 855 glt 2.5 10v white parted out RIP
    97 V70 AWD parted out RIP
    Present
    93 854glt 2.5 20v (turbo)white daily project
    04 s60 D5 (literal twin of previous s60)

Thread Information